Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #76
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
<picks up phone and dials top secret, ultra secure, yeti-phone number>

"Hello, is that Yeti P--"
...<three minutes of Yeti hold music later>...
"Hello, is that Yeti Pestering Services, unlimited."
"Excellent. I was ringing about a contrac-"
"Yes, that's the one--"
"Force Majeure?"
"Oh, sorry, so you just had an unexpected day visit from a mother--"
"Sponges? Well, they do tend to--"
"And a vat of custard? I---"
"I'm not suprised you were driven to the sherry. Though I prefer Cointreau--"
"Did what with some fruits?"
"Whipped, I should hope?"
"Nuts. Defintely nuts."
"I agree. Not someone to trifle with. Anyhow--"
"Ahhh."
"Umm."
"Chocolate deprivation."
"And a ZCD on an empty stomach."
"Well, that would make temporal predictions exceptionally unreliable--"
"So you're happy to carry on with the---"
"Ahhh."
"Oh."
"Well, if it takes all sorts---"
"And some 3 foot laces?"
"Productivity bonus? Is that per word or per post?"
"Per post. And I'll have them delivered."
"No, thank you!"
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #77
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
well i'm glad to see *someone* is keeping up with things around here. thanks lazyscot !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #78
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
short update - chapter 5

In The George Inn, George (no relation) - one of the landlords - paced nervously. It was summer, and that meant the brewery would send a man around unannounced to see how things were going. On top of that there was what looked like a mythical hairy creature wearing shorts, sandals and a T shirt tucking into a rustic platter in the beer garden; and an odd noise coming from the cellar. At least there were no SHUMS around. He half-chuckled as he remembered muttering invectives about them within the hearing of an elderly priest who, naturally, asked what a SHUM was. On being told, he looked at George askance and told him for being uncharitable to the blessed children. He then went out into the garden, where the SHUMS were. And came back in a few seconds later, ashen-faced. He nodded to George and muttered “I see you have a point, actually”, and went and sat as far from the garden as he could.

The noise was getting too distracting. He headed down to the cellar, torch in hand. He was carrying it more for the weight of the thing, making it useful as a cosh, than its light-emitting properties. The cellar, after all, was wired to the mains and had lights and other such mod cons. He turned the lights on, and descended into the maze of barrels and casks, boxes of glasses and crates of empties. At the foot of the stairs he paused, sniffing slightly. He thought he had caught a whiff of outside air coming from a direction it didn’t normally come from. And then he heard the noise again, coming from the same direction. He pulled out his diary, checked and double checked today’s date, frowned and cautiously moved off. He mentally chided himself for leaving his mobile phone upstairs, then mentally chided himself for mentally chiding himself - there was, after all, no reception down here.

A figure stepped out from behind a tall pile of boxes, smiling a little apologetically, and looking like he’d been dragged through a hedge backwards, sideways and maybe forwards for good measure. Moreover, his shoes were squelching slightly, and George was sure he could hear something from within the large bag the man had with him.

“You!” George shouted in a whisper. “You’re not due here now. I’ve had no notification. Nothing.”

“Training run, all a bit hush-hush, sorry” said the other. He noticed George’s eyes go towards the bag. “Change of clothes, small inflatable boat, and, well… you don’t want to know the rest. Is, err, my room free? Only Janey is a bit more sensitive to how I look than you. Plus I need to check a couple of things.”

George shook his head in exasperation, then nodded “Sure - you know where the other stairs are. Oh yeah - key…” he patted through his pockets and handed over a key. “We’ve a couple of guests, but they’re all out now. Although two of them are only out as far as the beer garden.”

The other nodded, and vanished quietly up the other stairs. George shrugged, and went back up the normal stairs, and noticed a very obvious tourist being obnoxious at the bar. Great, he thought, the brewery man is here, too.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #79
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti
TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 3gs
YAY! An update..

Happy Yeti!

Things are getting intriguing!
TallNHairyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #80
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

my my, things certainly are getting interesting ! the mysterious diving man has shown up at the very same inn the yeti is having lunch at ! with a Bag O' Mystery !! what could it possibly contain ?

(bless that priest, for allowing the scales to fall from his eyes... may his god keep him safe from shums.)
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #81
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti
TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.TallNHairyDave can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
my my, things certainly are getting interesting ! the mysterious diving man has shown up at the very same inn the yeti is having lunch at ! with a Bag O' Mystery !! what could it possibly contain ?
Mysterious things probly...

and this chapter reminds me that we haven't been to the George for a Rustic Platter in AAAAAAGES. (Yes, it's a real pub, in a real village)

That said, last time we went they'd changed it and it wasn't as nice as it used to be.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #82
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is not a thread you want to hit Last Page on.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #83
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallNHairyDave View Post
Mysterious things probly...
that's what i was thinking too...

Quote:
and this chapter reminds me that we haven't been to the George for a Rustic Platter in AAAAAAGES. (Yes, it's a real pub, in a real village)
well, naturally, you don't think the Mysterious Diver with his Bag O' Mystery could be popping into a place that didn't exist, did you ? (although... now that i think of it, there are at least two or three characters i can think of that i wouldn't put it past...)

Quote:
That said, last time we went they'd changed it and it wasn't as nice as it used to be.
isn't that always the way ? i hate change. it happened to the restaurant where we hold the paris meetups too, it got sold and the new owner changed everything and not for the better. it's tragic, really.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #84
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti

Quote:
isn't that always the way ? i hate change. it happened to the restaurant where we hold the paris meetups too, it got sold and the new owner changed everything and not for the better. it's tragic, really.
Mmm.

You used to get a whole head of garlic (a big one too!) that had been oven roasted, a big stack of fresh crusty bread, a bowl of olives with feta cheese, a bowl of warmed olive oil with herbs and a bowl of balsamic vinegar. All on a huuge wooden platter. Was enough for two as a starter or one as a garlicy and exceedingly tasty lunch. Was LOVELY - we used to do the 2 hour drive down there JUST for the rustic platter and a walk by the sea after!

Last time we were in, the garlic was small and had been microwaved and was more-or-less raw, the bread was thin sliced, and the oil and vinegar had been mixed together before serving (so you only got 1 bowl).
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #85
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Yay, that was goooood!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #86
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
YAY! An update..

Happy Yeti!

Things are getting intriguing!
Quote:

(bless that priest, for allowing the scales to fall from his eyes... may his god keep him safe from shums.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Yay, that was goooood!
Thank you

Quote:
Mmm.

You used to get a whole head of garlic (a big one too!) that had been oven roasted, a big stack of fresh crusty bread, a bowl of olives with feta cheese, a bowl of warmed olive oil with herbs and a bowl of balsamic vinegar. All on a huuge wooden platter. Was enough for two as a starter or one as a garlicy and exceedingly tasty lunch. Was LOVELY - we used to do the 2 hour drive down there JUST for the rustic platter and a walk by the sea after!

Last time we were in, the garlic was small and had been microwaved and was more-or-less raw, the bread was thin sliced, and the oil and vinegar had been mixed together before serving (so you only got 1 bowl).
And I was rather ill the last time we ate there too
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #87
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Mmm.

oh my god stop it you're making me hungry...

Quote:
i see what you mean, yes.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #88
TallNHairyDave
The Yeti

Yeti is off to bed now, to dream of tasty roasted garlics....

Damn. I'm hungry suddenly!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #89
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Yeti is off to bed now, to dream of tasty roasted garlics....

Damn. I'm hungry suddenly!
zelda is on her way to bed too, and hopefully will not dream of garlic or any food, or she will be suddenly hungry too.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:48 AM   #90
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
This is not a thread you want to hit Last Page on.
Is that not most of the threads in The Lounge?

Wait, this isn't The Lounge. How did I get here?
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote