Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Stabiliser
Stabiliser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Student Seeking advice

Hi all,
I'm just started college and am looking for an e-reader that will be able to read articles, journals etc for my studies. These tend to be in pdf formats and may ahve diagrams in them. We may also be getting our lecture notes as downloads from the website. I'm expecting these to be either pdf of word docs which will mainly be texts. There is also the possibility of text books as e-books but I don't know the format yet.

Is there a reader that will cover these tasks well or do I need something specific for articles and journals. I expect my time will be spent reading these mainly.

I am in the UK so I'm guessing a kindle is out.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

cheers
Stabiliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Nate0072
Enthusiast
Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505 (Silver)
You could try the Sony PRS 700. I'm not sure if it's available in the UK at the moment but you can ship it from the US. I pretty sure that this device will suit your needs.
Nate0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
the 700 could well suit your needs, and it has the advantage of allowing you to highlight text and add your own notes, as well as search the text. worth looking into. i have one and i use these functions all the time, although i'm not a student.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If reading journal articles is a priority, the iRex iLiad or DR1000, with their larger screens, would be much more suitable than the Sony. The iRex will display virtually any A4 PDF without having to mess around with reflow, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote