Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 04:55 AM   #1
theengine
Enthusiast
theengine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Content Server View Books In Safari Issue With IOS 11

This post is just for information.

Since upgrading my iPhone to IOS 11, I have still been able to read my books in Safari as normal, initially. However, at some point in the next 24 hour period the ability to do this stops. Then, on looking at the website data cache, I see that the reported data size for the downloaded item is 0 bytes. I tried a few ways to fix this, including saving the book as a Reading List item and in Safari advanced setting under Reading List ticking Automatically Save Offline. This did not make any difference.

I phoned Apple this morning who tell me that IOS 11 now automatically clears the cash regularly as a security feature.

They will consider this issue and may come up with something in later IOS versions to resolve it.

Until them, I'll convert the book I'm reading to epub and download in iBooks.

Hope this helps others that may notice this issue.
theengine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sigh. Apple really, really dont want you to use any third party software do they.

How on earth is clearing the cache without even asking the user a security feature?

You can probably work around it by re-downloading the book when the cache is cleared, assuming you have an available internet connection.

Or you can try using Chrome on iOS which may or may not be subject to this "security feature". Although since Apple disallows any third party browsers on iOS which means that Chrome is really just a wrapper around Safari, probably it suffers from this "feature" as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert