Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Susan A
Groupie
Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Aura H20
KOBO AURA H20 questions

I am considering buying this ereader.

1. Does the reader have a password option? I do not want my kids opening up my reader.

2. Does the reader come with a charger or is that a separate purchase? I can't find that info at KOBO.

3. Has anyone seen a standable case for the Kobo Aura H20?

Thanks for your help.
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
1. Does the reader have a password option? I do not want my kids opening up my reader.

Not out of the Box. There is an option if you install Kobo Start Menu. See below thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252016

2. Does the reader come with a charger or is that a separate purchase? I can't find that info at KOBO.

No charger. Only a usb cable.

I haven't seen one but then again I haven't looked. There are so many 34d party cases I would be amazed if you can't get one somewhere. And even if you can't now, how long will it be?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Regarding the charger--darryl is correct, the H2o does not come with a charger, but pretty much any micro usb charger should work. I see in your profile you have a nook. If you have a charger for your nook (classic/simpletouch/glo) it will work with the H2o.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Regarding the charger--darryl is correct, the H2o does not come with a charger, but pretty much any micro usb charger should work. I see in your profile you have a nook. If you have a charger for your nook (classic/simpletouch/glo) it will work with the H2o.
microUSB has become the standard for all book readers; I can't think of one that's currently on the market that doesn't use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Susan A
Groupie
Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan A ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Aura H20
Thank you very much for your time and patience in answering my questions. I seem to have very little luck when searching to see if the questions were already asked and answered

Yes, I have an old Nook color and several chargers - -for the car, and for upstairs and downstairs. I usually read several hours each day -- while I'm cooking, cleaning, waiting for the kids etc, and usually have to charge at least once per day and at night. Good to know I won't have to invest in a bunch of new hardware.

Regarding the case, I did check at amazon but couldn't find a standable case. Clearly, I am not very good at looking though. I'll try to enlist some help at home with that search.
Susan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
A very quick search found the below link which appears to be what you want. A Google search will likely find many more.

http://tuff-luv.com/e-readers/kobo-cases/aura-h2o.html

Also, I'd be surprised it you did not find many more on EBay.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
Yes, I have an old Nook color and several chargers - -for the car, and for upstairs and downstairs. I usually read several hours each day -- while I'm cooking, cleaning, waiting for the kids etc, and usually have to charge at least once per day and at night.
You'll find the H2O is a very different beast energy wise (being an e-ink device), so even with your reading you won't likely need to charge more than once every couple of weeks. And for completeness, you can technically charge it via USB from your computer (although that tends to be a pain in the butt).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan A View Post
Amazon has one with different color options: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PEK5WPO
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
A very quick search found the below link which appears to be what you want. A Google search will likely find many more.

http://tuff-luv.com/e-readers/kobo-cases/aura-h2o.html

Also, I'd be surprised it you did not find many more on EBay.
I am not a fan of the Tuff Luv design for their cover for the H2O. I'm not font of the straps or the way of holding in the back. I did like some of the covers they used to have for Sony Readers. But alas those are long gone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Amazon has one with different color options: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PEK5WPO
Never buy a cover from a company that has a broken device used to advertise their cover. And again, the hand hold in the back is awful. Plus, when it's all folded back it's very thick.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:31 AM   #11
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Amazon also has this one, also with several color options (and no broken screen).
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Amazon also has this one, also with several color options (and no broken screen).
Don't forget to mention the lack of the aweful handhold. Unless you want such a handhold - then it goes from aweful to useful.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Don't forget to mention the lack of the aweful handhold. Unless you want such a handhold - then it goes from aweful to useful.
I love covers with hand holds~!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote