Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Calibre + OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) - no apparent problems

I just downloaded and installed OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on my development machine, and everything seems to work fine, including connecting to iTunes.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Good to know

Did gatekeeper give you any trouble? The calibre OS X app is signed as of the last release so it should have worked.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it launched without issue. After the update to 0.8.62, it should be more apparent how Gatekeeper views calibre, since that will be a newly-introduced app, not one that was already installed on the system.

G
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
On startup I have Calibre set to start as it boots (OSX 10.8) and it tries to but nothing happens, I just get the "Application not responding" When I force quit and restart it all works okay.
However this means I can't get any newspapers automatically in the mornings though or get it to self start on rebooting the computer.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
GRiker

What mechanism are you using to start calibre at boot time?

What happens if you leave calibre running at shutdown and enable the option to reload running programs at launch?

G
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Calibre and a few other programmes, eg Mail are on, The System Preferences Power saving feature is set to shut down the PC and switch on at 05:15.
The Option to reload running programmes is on and they all restart. Calibre however although trying to restart just sits there and on looking, it says it's not responding.
Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
GRiker

I just tried this experiment under OS X 10.8:

With calibre, Safari, Mail and a couple of other programs running, I selected 'Shut Down...' with the 'Reopen windows when logging back in'.

After powering back up, calibre came back up with no problems, as did the other programs.

It seems to work for me.

G
Old 07-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
szweiner2
szweiner2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I just downloaded and installed OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on my development machine, and everything seems to work fine, including connecting to iTunes.

G
Hi, I downloaded today Mountain Lion. Yes it works ok but I loaded a bunch of new books in Rar format. When I tried to convert them( about 14) with Calibre, it hung the system and I had to reboot. This happens consistantly. So I tried to convert 1 and it was fine. When trying two or three.... then Mac hung and needed a reboot. I am using an iMac 2011 i7 model.

Anyone else find this problem?

Sandy
szweiner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Good to know

Did gatekeeper give you any trouble? The calibre OS X app is signed as of the last release so it should have worked.
With 10.8 Mountain Lion, in System Preferences / Security & Privacy there are still options to "allow applications downloaded from":
O Mac App Store
O Mac App Store and identified developers (that's identified by Apple)
O Anywhere (any app regardless where it came from)

When selecting the last option, OS X pops up a message that it is less secure, instead you can "allow an individual application from an unknown developer by control-clicking its icon and selecting Open," but lets the choice stand if desired.

Don't know how long the last option will be there…

If I recall correctly calibre opened fine for me without that option set.

I also experienced calibre 0.8.61 having problems reopening automatically after a system restart. Otherwise everything seems fine. Connect to iTunes works for me too.

Last edited by unboggling; 07-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@unboggling: You shouldn't need that option, as of 0.8.61 the calibre app bundle is signed, so the second option should work fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote