Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #1096
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb-B View Post
Praise and gratitude for this fabulous tool.

It would be very nice to have an option to simply overwrite the existing epub file, rather than create a backup with the ".ORIGINAL_EPUB" extension. Since I'm running the routine immediately after importing the book to Calibre, I already have a backup in the original imported file. If the results should go disastrously wrong (though they never do), I can always re-import the original. Would save the extra step of having to delete the backup copies every single time.

Even though I already made a $ contribution some time ago, I would seriously consider doing it again if my wish were granted.

Thanks!
That's not the plugin creating .original_epub files. That's Calibre doing it. To change the option, go to Preferences > Tweaks > Save original file
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #1097
Barb-B
Tech appreciator
Barb-B began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro (wow I love this reader!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's not the plugin creating .original_epub files. That's Calibre doing it. To change the option, go to Preferences > Tweaks > Save original file
Oh good lord, had I only known that eons ago! Nevertheless, thank you SO MUCH. Appreciate the tip.
Barb-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #1098
fvdham
Connoisseur
fvdham began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-T1 / Kobo Glo HD
As of to day I noticed that, when replace a cover picture, it looses its aspect ratio.
I have reinstalled the Modify Epub plugin. Same problem.
Looking at the html source of the book, the cover page has a sentence "preserveAspectRatio="none" instead of "xMidYMid meet" as it was before. This happens with every book I modify.
I looked at the py-source but could not work out what to change.
I'm using the latest plugin and the latest calibre version (3.8)
Is there anywhere in Calibre an option that has an influence on this problem. The problem started after reinstalling calibre due to a windows 10 crash.
fvdham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #1099
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvdham View Post
As of to day I noticed that, when replace a cover picture, it looses its aspect ratio.
I have reinstalled the Modify Epub plugin. Same problem.
Looking at the html source of the book, the cover page has a sentence "preserveAspectRatio="none" instead of "xMidYMid meet" as it was before. This happens with every book I modify.
I looked at the py-source but could not work out what to change.
I'm using the latest plugin and the latest calibre version (3.8)
Is there anywhere in Calibre an option that has an influence on this problem. The problem started after reinstalling calibre due to a windows 10 crash.
To fix this issue, want preferences > output options > epub and then check "Preserve cover aspect ratio" and then click apply. You'll get the correct aspect ratio for covers from then on.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:02 AM   #1100
fvdham
Connoisseur

Thanks for the quick respons. I had no idee that the Modify Epub plugin had anything to do with the epub output options. The help balloon on that subject tells me it has to do with generating PDF files.
Probably the plugin makes use of that part of Calibre.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:25 AM   #1101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks for the quick respons. I had no idee that the Modify Epub plugin had anything to do with the epub output options. The help balloon on that subject tells me it has to do with generating PDF files.
A good portion of the Modify ePub function is calls to calibre functions. The cover replacement is a good example as it uses the part of the conversion pipeline that creates and adds the cover to an epub. And uses your conversion defaults when doing this.

As to the reference to PDF, look like the tooltip is being reused. But, each of the pages of output options are only used when converting to that format.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:28 AM   #1102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just had a look and the tooltip for "insert or replace cover" doesn't mention PDF It does mention ePub.

"If a cover page is identifiable in the epub then it is replaced otherwise a new cover page is inserted"

The thing is, I've been running Calibre for so long, it's easy forget what options are set or what effects what or even where those options are.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #1103
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I just had a look and the tooltip for "insert or replace cover" doesn't mention PDF It does mention ePub.

"If a cover page is identifiable in the epub then it is replaced otherwise a new cover page is inserted"
I'm not sure where you're looking but the tool-tip for "Preserve cover aspect ratio" does refer to PDF, see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aspectratio.png
Views:	228
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	159274  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #1104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm not sure where you're looking but the tool-tip for "Preserve cover aspect ratio" does refer to PDF, see attached.
I was talking about the tooltip in Modify ePub. But, I don't get a tooltip in Calibre about PDF.

Name:	ePubTooltip.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	159278
Old 10-03-2017, 11:02 AM   #1105
fvdham
Connoisseur

Well , my problem is solved, no matter what tool-tip description is displayed. I knoe now that i have to look carefully to the output options.
Thanks all
Old 10-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #1106
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I see the same in Prefs->Output->EPUB

Quote:
I was talking about the tooltip in Modify ePub. But, I don't get a tooltip in Calibre about PDF.
I see the same in Prefs->Output->PDF

How odd

calibre-64bit-3.8.0.msi Properties

Code:
Revision number {596D2297-8142-4FA1-9424-BF48F84D2CA5}
Content Created 2017-09-22 13:41
Size            69,177,344 
CRC32	        7e2d3b07
MD5	        de9990cf76353e3972b94dccf744e8b3
SHA-1	        7cbc6546f9231a581baf89a23336c1f411d0d171
BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-03-2017 at 04:58 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #1107
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just messed around and I have actually seen 3 different tooltips for the Preserve cover aspect ratio under EPUB output options. See attached. I haven't been able to consistently figure out when and why they change but there they are.

Mine is Calibre Portable 3.8.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aspect_ratio_tooltip_1.png
Views:	214
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	159282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aspect_ratio_tooltip_2.png
Views:	231
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	159283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aspect_ratio_tooltip_3.png
Views:	212
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	159284  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-03-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #1108
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I haven't been able to consistently figure out when and why they change but there they are.
It might be related to this not yet released calibre bug fix: Fix incorrect help strings being used in Preferences->Input/Output Options when multiple formats use the same option name.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #1109
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Seems likely, we'll know for sure in 3.9.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 PM   #1110
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes that is indeed the fix.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub