Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Show off your KFHD homescreen!

Although there are no custom ROMs available for the KFHD, it is possible to run alternative launchers on an UNROOTED KFHD as well as the full meal deal on a ROOTED KFHD.

I've been running ADW Launcher EX on my unrooted KFHD with great success. I decided to take the plunge and root it and install GO Launcher EX.

I'm interested to see what others are doing to tweak their devices. When posting your screenshots, please include the following information:

DEVICE: (KFHD 7"/10", 16GB/32GB, etc.)
ROOTED: (yes/no)
LAUNCHER: (GO Launcher EX, ADW Launcher, Apex, etc.)
WALLPAPER: (name or link to wallpaper being displayed)
ADDITIONAL INFO: (anything else noteworthy)

To capture a screenshot on your KFHD, simultaneously press the "Power" and "Volume_Up" buttons on your device.

Here's mine:
DEVICE: KFHD 7", 16GB
ROOTED: yes
LAUNCHER: GO Launcher EX
WALLPAPER: default GO Launcher wallpaper
ADDITIONAL INFO: Google Play installed, Google Chrome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-09-15-15-46.png
Views:	582
Size:	742.4 KB
ID:	97488  
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kfhd 16gb
Not rooted
Adw launcher
Whatever the default wallpaper was with that launcher.

The only thing additional I added to the screen was One More Clock widget. Outstanding!
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still tinkering with Go Launcher....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-18-12-56-08.png
Views:	421
Size:	920.3 KB
ID:	97884  
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Very nice. I really like Go Launcher's weather widget.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
What widget do you use to show the available space on device graph/bar?
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsaguy View Post
What widget do you use to show the available space on device graph/bar?
It's the standard Go Launcher memory widget.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru

I heard about Nova Launcher being smaller and faster than Go Launcher so I gave it a try. Definitely lives up to the claims...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2012-12-23-06-53-54.png
Views:	454
Size:	892.2 KB
ID:	98109  
Old 12-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #8
dickiedave
dickiedave began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
Hi will this work on my uk based kfhd as I can't get it to work Any help would be great
dickiedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedave View Post
Hi will this work on my uk based kfhd as I can't get it to work Any help would be great
If your KFHD is not rooted, then the only alternative launcher you'll be able to run is ADW Launcher EX. (at least that has been my experience)

If your KFHD is rooted, then you should be able to get Go, Nova, or Apex launchers to work.

I highly recommend reading through the KFHD forums on XDA-Developers. There are a few threads that have all the info you'll need to get it working.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have a question. I just rooted my Fire HD for the second time (the first time didn't go so well, it was very glitchy).

I'm not a fan of the carousel but I do like the direct links to the Amazon VOD, Audible, the Kindle Store etc. above it. How do you access Amazon VOD (the main function I use the Fire for) with the launchers? I really don't want to use a browser for access.

TIA
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have a question. I just rooted my Fire HD for the second time (the first time didn't go so well, it was very glitchy).

I'm not a fan of the carousel but I do like the direct links to the Amazon VOD, Audible, the Kindle Store etc. above it. How do you access Amazon VOD (the main function I use the Fire for) with the launchers? I really don't want to use a browser for access.

TIA
I simply launch the "Home" app (displays the Kindle Fire icon). "Home" is the Amazon UI... from that point on, it is no different than a stock KFHD.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I simply launch the "Home" app (displays the Kindle Fire icon). "Home" is the Amazon UI... from that point on, it is no different than a stock KFHD.
Thanks WJM! I actually just jumped in and installed Nova Launcher last night.

It works just as you've written, very similar to Go Launcher on my original rooted Kindle Fire.

Now, I'm trying to find some widgets that I like and that will work on the Fire (no luck with Beautiful or HD widgets).

Thanks again!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you guys using any certain version of Nova Launcher? I got the latest from the Play store (v2.0 I think), got it moved to /system/app and installed ok, but after a reboot, Nova immediately crashes every time I try to choose it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are you guys using any certain version of Nova Launcher? I got the latest from the Play store (v2.0 I think), got it moved to /system/app and installed ok, but after a reboot, Nova immediately crashes every time I try to choose it.
That happened to me too. What I did next was simply use ES File Explorer to locate the .apk (I still had a copy in /download) and execute it to install it. After THAT it worked.

So basically it is a two step process, first copy to /system/app, change the permissions, and reboot. second, install it like a "regular" app. You don't need to re-copy the .apk to /system/app.

Let us know what happens.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just started completely over. Installed normally from the Play Store, moved the apk from /data/app to /system/app, changed the permissions and rebooted. Everything was golden from there. Thanks!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote