Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #46
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
Has the cover bug been fixed? (The one where putting the Kobo to sleep shows you the cover of the last book you were reading, not the current one?)
It is fixed.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #47
dannyproy
dannyproy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
@dipsomaniac I had the same issue with sideloaded epub reboots upgrading from 1.9.17 to 2.0.0. To resolve I had to factory reset ( ouch) remove all books from the library ( easy enough if on an sd card) upgrade to the 2.x.x firmware then add the books to have the library build from scratch. Sideloaded libraries apparently have a bit of a wobble upgrading when you move to 2.x.x. I've had no further issues upgrading to later firmware revisions so I'd see it as a one off bit of bullett biting.
dannyproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #48
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Manually loaded 2.1.4, (r43710), from 2.1.1 and I do not see any difference in page turning speed, (lot faster than before 2.1.1).

I use side loaded epubs and no problems so far, touch wood.

Steve
Agreed, I wasn't sure at first if it was a tad slower but after half an hour of reading I really didn't notice that page turns were any slower than 1.9.17. Still prefer 1.9.17 home screen but I'll see if I can live with this one and hope Kobo really is listening to us in wanting to have more options to turn things off or hide them. Unfortunately it's one of the things holding me back from buying the KG just yet.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #49
Dipsomaniac
Dipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of lightDipsomaniac is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyproy View Post
@dipsomaniac I had the same issue with sideloaded epub reboots upgrading from 1.9.17 to 2.0.0. To resolve I had to factory reset ( ouch) remove all books from the library ( easy enough if on an sd card) upgrade to the 2.x.x firmware then add the books to have the library build from scratch. Sideloaded libraries apparently have a bit of a wobble upgrading when you move to 2.x.x. I've had no further issues upgrading to later firmware revisions so I'd see it as a one off bit of bullett biting.
Yes, that's what I ended up doing, and the epubs are working again. Frankly, it's pretty unacceptable that I have to nuke my reader for an upgrade like that .
Dipsomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
It is fixed.
Like!
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #51
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Apologies if this has been covered already:

Has anyone who manually updated to 2.1.1 done the automatic update to 2.1.4?
If so... how'd it go?
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #52
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Just did the manual update (I just could not wait). The update was the fastest of any of them, no dancing squares just an hour glass animation on the black updating screen. Cannot see much of a difference from 2.1.1. All worked well with everything just as I left it.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #53
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Kobo staff is reading the board a lot right now so maybe one of them will weigh in.
How cool would it be to get paid for reading this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
Apologies if this has been covered already:

Has anyone who manually updated to 2.1.1 done the automatic update to 2.1.4?
If so... how'd it go?
I would like to know this too.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #54
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, so far after 1 hour of reading I've had my KT reboot twice, both times after dead taps. Tap... nothing, tap... nothing, tap still nothing... tap... reboot. Never had this problem with 1.9.17.

Manual upgrade from 1.9.17.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #55
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You may want to check and see if there is always supposed to be a 2.x update before the 2.1.4 lands on the device, Danger. That is the kind of thing that simply applying .zip files manually cannot take into account. Big Db changes were made when the changeover to 2.x iteration of builds were released.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #56
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I love some of the little changes, such as displaying the number of books you have when browsing the library.

Not a big fan of the wishlist on the homescreen though. I don't use this - mainly because the disparities in formatting between epubs and kepubs make me disinclined to buy/download books from kobo - so it is just a cm of dead space on my homescreen. Guess you can't please everyone though.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #57
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You may want to check and see if there is always supposed to be a 2.x update before the 2.1.4 lands on the device, Danger. That is the kind of thing that simply applying .zip files manually cannot take into account. Big Db changes were made when the changeover to 2.x iteration of builds were released.
Since I have to do a reset anyway if I want to go back to 1.9.17 I'll see if it'll do a sync update and give that a try.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #58
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Since I have to do a reset anyway if I want to go back to 1.9.17 I'll see if it'll do a sync update and give that a try.
Eh, you have to reset in order to downgrade the firmware?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #59
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
Not a big fan of the wishlist on the homescreen though.
It would be fantastic if we could select to display shortlist instead of that - like in 1.9.17.

Or how about having that bar display shortlist on the Reading screen and Wishlist on the Discover screen? I'd love that.

I'm kind of sorry that swiping down doesn't bring up the highlight etc. menu anymore. That was much faster if I wanted to add a notation or highlight. But now I can look up terms that consist of more than one word.

Also why is the font in the dictionary display so tiny? It's really not easy to read that way. But it's great that I can select not to use all the dictionarys I don't need anyway and that there's a display showing how big the files are.

Going home from anywhere is instant again, also using the library. Creating shelves still takes ages, editing, too (but is much faster than creating). But I love that you can now add books to the shelves from the library or the advanced settings menu in the book - especially if I want to add a book to different shelves. Also adding a book is very fast. Oh, and it's nice that Shortlist is the top shelf now. And browsing shelves is fast, too.

So far I'm really happy - only a few minor things (especially the small dictionary font), but nothing that really bothers me.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #60
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
Guess you can't please everyone though.
Wise words for a few people on this board to live by!!
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote