Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #181
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Just drop the books from the Kobo, ensure they are flagged correctly with Calibre (ie series and series #) and then upload away
Thank you, this did work!

However I did get 'unable to open database file' errors when I tried to do more than 1 change at a time. I think I'll just delete my library and start over again, will probably go faster in the long run. But at least the code is there and it will be all sorted the way I want when I'm done, so thank you again!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #182
D..
Enthusiast
D.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo & Kindle
At last, thank you Peter, I finally managed to find out why my books were not in authors' alphabetical order. I had used Author Sort in Calibre's Plugboard & of course needed just Author - simple when you realise why!!
Suggestions for new solftware update - I agree the authors or library list in some form of alphabetical grouping would be good. The slide bar is too vague & if you have lots of books in your library it can be pot luck to find the author's surname without trawling through pages. The shortlist helps but if you read a lot of books, you arent always sure which you are going to read next.
D.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #183
melanie57
Melanie57
melanie57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My first post, so forgive me if I've goofed up in some way...I'm trying to follow the instructions about converting library books with teeny tiny fonts, but I can't find a download of FreeZip that will work...any suggestions? Thanks
melanie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #184
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Library books have DRM to provide the timeout for checkout from the library. You should be able to simply zoom the book by selecting a larger font. What format are you checking out? What exactly are you trying to do?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #185
melanie57
Melanie57
melanie57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
On most books we've installed you can indeed just change the fonts. However, on the ePUBs from the library, there is no font adjustment option. You can install the book, but the bifocals have not yet been invented that will allow you to read it!
melanie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #186
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie57 View Post
On most books we've installed you can indeed just change the fonts. However, on the ePUBs from the library, there is no font adjustment option. You can install the book, but the bifocals have not yet been invented that will allow you to read it!
Interesting. Generally changing the font size is an eBook Reader feature and independent of the book. But some eBook Readers will not use this feature to override the CSS in the book itself. I suspect the eBook you checked out has an explicit size set in the book which is why you are having the problem. Even with Library DRM you may be able to open the ePub using 7zip and take a look at the CSS. You might even be able to change it. DRM is generally applied to the html files and embedded font files inside the ePub but not the other ones. I suspect other eBooks you check out will not have this problem. What kind of reader are you using? You might want to report this problem to the library.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #187
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Interesting. Generally changing the font size is an eBook Reader feature and independent of the book. But some eBook Readers will not use this feature to override the CSS in the book itself. I suspect the eBook you checked out has an explicit size set in the book which is why you are having the problem. Even with Library DRM you may be able to open the ePub using 7zip and take a look at the CSS. You might even be able to change it. DRM is generally applied to the html files and embedded font files inside the ePub but not the other ones. I suspect other eBooks you check out will not have this problem. What kind of reader are you using? You might want to report this problem to the library.

Dale
I would guess melaine57's findings are typical. I think I see similar behavior. If I buy an ADE EPub, there is probably a 50/50 chance I would have problems using formatting options. I see this on my Kobo (trying to change font, line spacing, margins), and I think I saw the same thing on my Nook Touch (font name). I'm guessing that by buying the store branded epub (kepub, B&N DRM'd epub), the stores are tailoring the epub to ensure it behaves nicely with their readers?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #188
glasss
glasss began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi everyone, just a quick question with reguards to bookmarking. Is it possible to have 2 separate bookmarks in the same book at one time? I'm using a Kobo Touch. Thanks in advance
glasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #189
BensonBear
Enthusiast
BensonBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasss View Post
Hi everyone, just a quick question with reguards to bookmarking. Is it possible to have 2 separate bookmarks in the same book at one time? I'm using a Kobo Touch. Thanks in advance
You can dogear as many pages in an epub as you want (touch in upper right corner) or even make empty annotations on given quoted sections of text (just single words to make it as quick as possible), and then see these all in the annotations page (and they are even called bookmarks), but they are a poor excuse for bookmarks as people area used to using them.

In particular, what is needed is a temporary bookmark which you can exchange for the current page back and forth until it is cancelled. This is one of the main simple ways people use bookmarks while reading a complex text.

The bookmarks as a whole should be in an editable structure where the bookmarks are tagged and can be displayed in a tree structure not a list (just the like books, of course).
BensonBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #190
pkhunter
pkhunter began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I have some old pdf files in Kobo. In the new version of Kobo, when I add a PDF file, it shows its first page, which is very handy. In older version of Kobo, this was not the case, so all my old documents (about 100 of them) show up as just the letter "PDF". Is there a way to make sure Kobo shows me the visual for each of those older PDFs? Thanks.
pkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #191
koboreader1408
koboreader1408 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo e reader
Help with Calibre and Kobo

Hi

Im not that great with software but im ok and have got the handle on my kobo and calibre but for some reason calibre is not picking up my kobo even though connected via usb etc so therefore I cannot transfer my books....please can anyone give me a handy hint on what im doing wrong or whether ive not ticked or unticked some boxes. Thanks very much xxx
koboreader1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #192
Altivo
Enthusiast
Altivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Generic Android tablet, Kobo WiFi, Literati, and eBookwise 1150
It may help if you tell us what version of Calibre, which model of reader, and what operating system is on your computer.

Using Calibre 0.6.x or 0.7.x on Linux the Kobo Ereader (Wi Fi version) shows up in Calibre without doing anything special. I don't use Windows or Macintosh with Calibre, so I can't tell you about those two systems.
Altivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #193
D..
Enthusiast
D.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverD.. exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo & Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altivo View Post
It may help if you tell us what version of Calibre, which model of reader, and what operating system is on your computer.

Using Calibre 0.6.x or 0.7.x on Linux the Kobo Ereader (Wi Fi version) shows up in Calibre without doing anything special. I don't use Windows or Macintosh with Calibre, so I can't tell you about those two systems.
I use Windows 7 with Calibre and have no problem. When you connect, your Kobo asks you to continue, after entering yes, Windows then asks you to open folders etc. [At the last resort you can transfer them across into the folders]. Then just highlight a file that you want to transfer from Calibre and the "transfer to main memory" - then Calibre usually connects and marks all of the books in its library that are in the Kobo.
D.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #194
jaydeerpg
jaydeerpg began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Question

I have been reading PDF files in my KOBO e-reader and I would try the tips here to convert the file into Adobe Digital editions to make it easier on the eyes,

I have several Adobe Acrobat files that are in the KOBO e-reader and it will be easier if I saved them as Adobe DIgital Edition files then put them in my e-reader so I can change the font. Is this possible?
jaydeerpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #195
suzieqb
suzieqb began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox Ereader
Hi
I am new here. I have a Kobo Vox Ereader and I cannot get into the WIFI
Can someone please help me?
Thank You
suzieqb is offline   Reply With Quote