Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #316
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
fixed up a new cover for DD's T1

First of all some lovely creative covers are being showcased in this thread! Thank you for inspiration!

Initially, we created a cover from a McCall's pattern and fabric of her choice. It came out OK but as the T1 was used, the cardboard we used for the firm base was bending, causing some concern as to how protected the reader was. I had made a cover for my new 350 from a journal I found at Office Depot.

Today while out and about, I picked up another journal from Office Depot to create a cover for my daughter's T1. It is 5 1/2" x 8" size. I cut out the journal pages then pasted the contrasting paper (scrapbook paper) of her choice inside. I used 3 Velcro dots to attach her reader. The cover already has the front that overlaps with built in magnet clasp.

Last edited by beespeckled; 02-20-2012 at 11:05 PM. Reason: correction
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #317
kappsta
kappsta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Well I've read through this whole thread and still haven't decided on a cover. I am leaning towards a Gecko Luxe with Light which is supposed to be available tomorrow. But I am wary about how long shipping will take to the US.

I came across this cover on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Cover-.../dp/B006Z4QPCM
http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Cover-.../dp/B006Z4S0O8

However, there's not much info on it or the manufacturer. It's cheap, $19.99, but it's hard to tell what its made from, probably cheap synthetics. However, I could get it in two days since I am a Prime member. Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there as another option as I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet.
kappsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #318
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Those straps just make it look cheaply made.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #319
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
The Gecko Luxe without the light isn't much more money, and you'll have it in about ten days and be happy with it forever... unless you really wanted the light. My notion is that if it's too dark to read a paperback, it's time to sleep.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 AM   #320
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This thread has been an excellent resource - even if it took ages to dig through all pages. Thank you everyone!

The hardest decision to make (for me, at least) was probably whether I want to go for a sleeve or a cover/case. I like the reader "naked", but in the end I decided for a cover/case - namely the Sony Basic Cover without the light, because I hate the strap look of Gecko, Tuff Luv and others, and the nice Noreve cover was slightly over my budget.

Decision was made, so I started shopping, and soon realized why many of you said Sony covers were overpriced. Found it on Amazon for $20 - $25, but they don't post to Europe (or the postage was crazy) then in the UK for 30 pounds, or even closer to me for 40 euros (that's over $50). Crazy. Even if I found it for 35 € in some German eshops postage usually compensated the better price. Well, enough ranting, I still decided to give it a try.

Will report when it arrives!
immutability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #321
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Tuff please...

Can't remember posting this before, but I'm looking for a HARD case - no pretty, no fancy, no bells or whistles, just one that'll take the T1 and stay safe, foe example, if it's sat on.

I don't even mind a case for something else entirely, or having to put in padding myself.
Hard-bottomed protection is my need....

[ Oh, and smaller than a rucksac please !! ]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #322
immutability
immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.immutability ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

carpetmojo: When scanning this thread I've seen references to eva hard cases such as this one. But I'm not sure if it's hard enough to sit on (probably not)
Old 02-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #323
kappsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
The Gecko Luxe without the light isn't much more money, and you'll have it in about ten days and be happy with it forever... unless you really wanted the light. My notion is that if it's too dark to read a paperback, it's time to sleep.
I just ordered the Gecko Luxe with light. I don't need the light but I got it in case I want to stay up and read while my wife sleeps. Now I just need to keep my PRS-T1 scratch free and drop-on-sidewalk free until it arrives... *cross fingers*

*Edit* Gecko still out of stock on Luxe w/ light so I ordered a regular Luxe in blue instead.

Last edited by kappsta; 03-01-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #324
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Can't remember posting this before, but I'm looking for a HARD case - no pretty, no fancy, no bells or whistles, just one that'll take the T1 and stay safe, foe example, if it's sat on.

I don't even mind a case for something else entirely, or having to put in padding myself.
Hard-bottomed protection is my need....

[ Oh, and smaller than a rucksac please !! ]
Book armor Case might be an option. Sturdy outside "fabric", 1mm aluminum plate glued to thin plastic, on both sides. Held in middle by 3 plastic pieces, neither sides get to touch the device. There is some flex but It might be due to glue between fabric and plate, which feels something like hot-glue... Haven't dare to test it though
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #325
WST
WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'WST knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
Does anyone know if the skin will or will not work with the Sony case?

Hi,

I have a Decal Girl Skin and a Sony standard cover for my T1. Indeed, after installing the skin and trying to fit the T1 to the cover, I found that the cover edge where it snaps, tries to lift the skin in some places as I'm trying to make the cover snap over the T1.

I solved it by removing the T1 again and warming up the right edge of the cover over a stove top just enough to make it a tad more flexible. I snapped the T1 in again while pulling the edge until it cleared over the T1.

It' worked fine

Attached is a picture (I just wish I choose a different design. This one is nice though). I also wish that Decal Girl offers skin fronts (without the backs), it'll make it cheaper, as the back skin is totally unnecessary with the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1 with Decal and standard cover.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	82981  
WST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #326
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by immutability View Post
The hardest decision to make (for me, at least) was probably whether I want to go for a sleeve or a cover/case.
I, I use and recommend using both.

I use the Sony cover at all times then slide the ereader and cover into an Incase sleeve for storage and travel.

Last edited by petercreasey; 02-24-2012 at 01:23 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #327
immutability

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I use and recommend using both.

I use the Sony cover along at all times then slide the ereader and cover into an Incase sleeve for storage and trave.
Thank you for your suggestion! I may get a sleeve later too, there are times when it would be nice to have. But first I have to find one that I will like, and where the postage wouldn't cost more than the sleeve itself.

I like the Timbuk2 ones the most. But at $19 the sleeve and $30 the postage...
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you for your suggestion! I may get a sleeve later too, there are times when it would be nice to have. But first I have to find one that I will like, and where the postage wouldn't cost more than the sleeve itself.

If you do get a sleeve, please get one that will fit the T1 and the cover.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #329
kappsta

Quote:

I'm interested in a sleeve as well. Do you have a link? $30 for postage!? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #330
immutability

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you do get a sleeve, please get one that will fit the T1 and the cover.
Thanks for pointing that out. I guess the generic 7" ones would fit? I'll double check when I'll be getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappsta
I'm interested in a sleeve as well. Do you have a link? $30 for postage!? Thanks.
It actually seems it would be $35 ($30 base + $5 per bag) and it is the cheaper option for international orders. They're based in the U.S. so it would be much less for you. Still I'd find something like $10-$15 more reasonable for such a small item posted to Europe. Here's the link: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...sleeve/1571141