Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
TO THE CLOUD!

I have a Dropbox account that has barely been used. So I'm thinking of copying my ebooks to it. But is Dropbox the most likely to persist? Or is there a better cloud?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
Dropbox

That's what I do, I put them in Dropbox on my PC, and then I have Dropbox sync them to my Linux netbook. That way I have an automatic backup.

As to how long Dropbox is likely to stay in business, it's hard to say, internet companies vanish all the time. On the other hand, it always comes out very well when programs of this type are reviewed by computer magazines. So I use it, but I do external backups too (to detachable hard drives). I'd never trust important data exclusively to 'the cloud'.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Any company is liable to collapse. I am leery of cloud based products, because usually you lock your data into them, and should anything happen you're SOL.

That being said, personally what I do is have rsync set to automatically back up important files to my webserver. This way, I'm running my own personal cloud, should anything happen, I can move it around to another server and still be ok.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Any company is liable to collapse. I am leery of cloud based products, because usually you lock your data into them, and should anything happen you're SOL.
Any cloud-based system should be treated like any other storage device: liable to fail at any time. Always, ALWAYS have at least two copies, in different places, of any file that's of the slightest value to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!

On second thought, maybe I'll burn them to a CD and store it in the fireproof box.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
ALWAYS have at least two copies, in different places, of any file that's of the slightest value to you.
But, that's one of the beauties of Dropbox. It will sync the files to mulitiple computers. Now they are backed up in the cloud and on multiple PCs.

I keep my entire Calibre library in a Dropbox folder. I have up to date access to all my books on all 3 of my PCs as well as my smartphone. Dropbox on the phone doesn't automatically download all the files, as on the PC. But, they are all there for me to download on demand. It is a great system for me.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any cloud-based system should be treated like any other storage device: liable to fail at any time. Always, ALWAYS have at least two copies, in different places, of any file that's of the slightest value to you.
That is easy to do if it is just remote storage, but if it is something like email, or some application, it becomes more problematic.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
That's what I do. My calibre database sits inside my Dropbox folder so anything that gets added to Calibre automatically goes to Dropbox.

I also have Mozy.com which is a paid back-up service. But I won't have them once my subscription runs out because they've now apparently raised their prices and they don't have unlimited back-up anymore. There are several similar companies though.

Then I have an external hard drive here at home that makes a nightly back-up of my laptop.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This thread sounds like an ad for cloud computing (or at least cloud storing)
Anyways what is the limit in size of files I can upload to dropbox ? is it free to use ? Can I create permissions for say friends to access my data ? how well protected it is ? can my private data be hacked ? and so on ...

Oh and perhaps the most important, this dropbox is a program (A client I assume) that you install on your computer and since it must certainly have firewall permission, could it act as a trojan horse and allow someone to access my computer by some backdoor ?

I'm asking all that because when you go to the dropbox website there is nothing but a video explaining the basics of what you can do with it and a download button, but nothing else which is odd.

Last edited by Quexos; 04-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
This thread sounds like an ad for cloud computing (or at least cloud storing)
Anyways what is the limit in size of files I can upload to dropbox ? is it free to use ? Can I create permissions for say friends to access my data ? how well protected it is ? can my private data be hacked ? and so on ...
I'm not sure about the file size limit but I have uploaded some pretty big files. It has free accounts that start off with 2GB and paid accounts for larger. But, you can easily expand your free 2 GB by referring friends, installing on your second computer, etc. I think I now have 5.5GB free. Yes, you can let your friends access folders of your choosing and you can also create links to specific files.

Quote:
Oh and perhaps the most important, this dropbox is a program (A client I assume) that you install on your computer and since it must certainly have firewall permission, could it act as a trojan horse and allow someone to access my computer by some backdoor ?
Yes, it is a client program. I guess it is possible to act as a trojan but I think that is pretty unlikely. Did you have the same concerns with your Mozy client? Nobody can access your files that you have not given permission to.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!

Wow, that took a long time, but I collected all of the Kindle books and iBooks, everything that I could find, then burned the CD. it was 906 books, half a GB, but many of them are copies in other formats or updated versions, or whatever. Most of them are already read, so that makes me feel good.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Well, with Dropbox, even if the servers went down, I would still have my local files that Dropbox syncs. My hard drive and the dropbox servers would have to fail for me to lose my books. At the same time so I wouldn't be able to backup again. Highly unlikely.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmm, I don't know. I like to have multiple-media local backups, but hey if the house went up in flames....might be good to have everything backed up somewhere off-site.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon has their new 5 GB cloud service where you just upload or download with a web browser.

It's not automatic sync like Dropbox - but I hate the idea of something automatically reading / writing to my hard drive. I suspect Amazon might be a bit more reliable than Dropbox.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote