Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #31
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i am definitely interested in Sage. but i think i will wait until people have it in their hands for reviews and user experience to be published. for instance, i don't know if orientation is automatic or if it has to be set manually. and though it handles audio books, does it also have TTS?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
...and though it handles audio books, does it also have TTS?
I'd guess not.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2021, 06:41 PM   #33
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i am definitely interested in Sage. but i think i will wait until people have it in their hands for reviews and user experience to be published. for instance, i don't know if orientation is automatic or if it has to be set manually. and though it handles audio books, does it also have TTS?
I’d guess no on TTS, as to orientation I can’t imagine it’ll be different than the Forma, Libra H2O, or Elipsa. You’ll be able to lock it in landscape or portrait mode, or have it freely rotate between the two.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #34
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I’m fine with the change to USB-C.
What is the significance to me, the user, with this change to USB-C?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
What is the significance to me, the user, with this change to USB-C?
For me it means I don't need an adapter when I connect my Kobo to my laptop, which has only USB-C ports.
Advert
Old 10-09-2021, 09:37 AM   #36
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got relatively old PCs so what USB do I have? And what will the USB-C mean to me?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've got relatively old PCs so what USB do I have? And what will the USB-C mean to me?

Thanks.
If your PC has no USB-C ports, that would mean you need an adapter to connect your Kobo to your computer.

What ports your PC has, depends on the model and the year. It varies. Dell has used USB-C on their computers for a while now, but not all brands have done the same.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #38
Mivey
Mivey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:

Thanks.
Any USB-C to USB-A cable would allow you to connect it to your PC. Assuming Kobo ships the device with a charging cable, then there's nothing you'd need to do.
Mivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #39
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivey View Post
Any USB-C to USB-A cable would allow you to connect it to your PC. Assuming Kobo ships the device with a charging cable, then there's nothing you'd need to do.
Thanks...very good to know.

I'll probably get a Sage to back up or replace my KA1.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Edit: Mivey beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If your PC has no USB-C ports, that would mean you need an adapter to connect your Kobo to your computer.

Hopefully there will be a USB-C cable included with USB-C on one end and "normal" (USB A 3.1?) on the other?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivey View Post
Hopefully it is more then just a charging cable (capable of charging and data transfer). Does USB-C support charging only cables?
Old 10-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #42
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Hopefully there will be a USB-C cable included with USB-C on one end and "normal" (USB A 3.1?) on the other?
No idea. But that would mean those of us with USB-C only computers still need an adapter (unless another, USB-C only cable is also included). What's the point of USB-C in that case?
Old 10-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #43
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No idea. But that would mean those of us with USB-C only computers still need an adapter (unless another, USB-C only cable is also included). What's the point of USB-C in that case?
For you, no advantage. For people with older tech (like peter, a larger majority I would), not being disgruntled that they need to go and buy an adapter before they can use their new shiney toy (assuming the ereader comes uncharged, or they would like to sideload ebooks, or they don't have wifi).
Old 10-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #44
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
For you, no advantage. For people with older tech (like peter, a larger majority I would), not being disgruntled that they need to go and buy an adapter before they can use their new shiney toy (assuming the ereader comes uncharged, or they would like to sideload ebooks, or they don't have wifi).
I meant, why include USB-C on a device at all if you only ship it with a USB-C to USB-A cable? Kind of pointless in that case.

Last edited by Sirtel; 10-09-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #45
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Edit: Mivey beat me to it.

It was annexed to the Elipsa, no reason to have the same with the present offerings.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote