Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Aung Kyaw Kyaw: Yes, in both Plato & KOReader's case. As for the download issue, would GitHub happen to be blocked in your current location? If so, can you access the actual ZIP packages themselves? If you can, try this link instead.

@favero_: KFMon is bundled in these packages, so, no, it's a single step, that was the whole point .

PDF is going to be painful, no matter which way you cut it . It's probably going to come down to personal preference and the type of content you read. I thankfully don't have to read PDFs, so I'm free from this dilemma .
Plato is younger, free of a lot of legacy baggage and very promising; KOReader was initially born around PDF use-cases; so, try both, and see what works for you .
After all, that's also what all this is about: choice .

If you want to uninstall KOReader or Plato, it's as simple as wiping the relevant folder under .adds (which basically just saves you storage space. When they're not in use, they're completely inert. The only thing that's active in the background is KFMon, and it should only be taking up a whopping couple MB of RAM at worse, other than that, it's basically sitting pretty until something happens to one of the files it's looking over, and the task of doing the watching is relegated to the kernel, so it is in fact literally doing nothing ^^).
Speaking of KFMon, there's an uninstaller package available in the KFMon thread (whose link can be found in the first post).

Nothing should ever affect your actual content in a destructive manner (unless you want to: which OTOH should be limited to baking PDF annotations in), so my recommendations are generally the same as the ones from the KFMon thread if you want to be extra-safe: backup your Nickel database & settings, something which the Kobo Utilities plugin for Calibre happens to automate .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-11-2019 at 12:25 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Amazingly simple and elegant. Nice!

(First time I tried Plato. That thing is speedy...)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I think the one-click install is fabulous. Many thanks! Everything went quickly and without a hitch, erasing my usual installation anxiety. Looking forward to proceeding with everything set up.
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I've just installed the Koreader + Pluto files on my Clara.

Followed the instructions and extracted the zip file to the root of my Clara then ejected the Kobo and the Kobo rebooted.

The extraction created a folder at the root level called "Plato-0.6.3_KOReader-v2019.01.1"

I've got an altered homepage using the home page patches in which I only see my books shown.

In addition, on my homepage along the bottom I see 3 new icons (which are all png image files)

- Koreader
- Plato
- kfmon log

Pressing Koreader or Plato icons just brings up the .png image file. It doesn't launch anything.

I don't know how to get Koreader (or Plato) to actually launch.
mobilemoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mobilemoxie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
[*] Directly extract the ZIP archive you've just downloaded to the root directory of your device (i.e., not under any subdirectory). (That's the "one click" bit ;p)
Quote:
NOTE: Prefer the "Extract To" approach (and allow replacing existing content if it's asked of you) vs. manually copy/pasting or drag'n dropping bits of the ZIP content yourself, as preserving the integrity of the directory structure and its contents is of paramount importance!
Quote:
Second, don't let your GUI unarchiver do anything too smart, like unpacking stuff in a subdirectory, that'll obviously be counter-productive here. (c.f., second screenshot, from The Unarchiver's settings).
TL;DR: That extra initial folder wrecked things up, and is potentially forced upon you by your unarchiver app.

Which is unfortunately not that uncommon, especially on macOS, hence #2 .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-12-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Advert
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #21
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast
mobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheesemobilemoxie can extract oil from cheese

thanks @NiLuJe

It was indeed my unarchiver that created that extra directory. I redid the extraction after deleting that extra created directory. This time I had the file extracted *without* creating any extra folder in the root directory as had occurred before.

I'm still seeing the same icons on the home screen (png files) for Kobo, Plato, and KMLog. and opening each of those files takes me to my Books list where I see the new png files in the list but clicking on those new files again only opens the .png file, nothing is launched.

1. Any idea what unzip or unarchive program Mac users have successfully used for this?

2. Also, is the fact that my home page has been patched by the patcher to only show my books an issue?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mobilemoxie:

Yeah, you're most likely missing the hidden folders if you do it that way . Which means no KFMon, so nothing works .

So,

1. The fool-proof approach would be the good old unzip (f.g., something along the way of unzip blah.zip -d /Volumes/KOBOeReader), but it's CLI . This is what the install script relies on.
I know that The Unarchiver has an option to disable that behavior, since I mention it in the post I quoted, but that's the extent of my experience with GUI tools on macOS

2. Nope .

TL;DR: If you can't get your unarchiver to behave, just go with the script in #2, it'll do the right thing .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-12-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #23
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast

Hi again,

Okay I'm going to try the #2 install method.

edit to add: well that was a whole lot easier!

Last edited by mobilemoxie; 01-12-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Oohkay, that's new.

Yeah, it definitely shouldn't be in a different directory, do move it to .kobo

I'm pretty curious what exactly did create it there, though...

Just to make sure: how did you extract the package, this time?

(And, you never know: on which macOS version is this?)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 PM   #25
mobilemoxie
Enthusiast

All is working since I used your automated script to install all the files. The Unarchiver is what I had used before and it was not overwriting folders and that's where those duplicates came from.

I'm on the latest Mac OS release 10.14.2 Mojave
Old 01-13-2019, 01:14 AM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Well, I'll certainly add that to my list of things that can go wrong ;D.

Glad you got it sorted in the end .
Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 AM   #27
Aung Kyaw Kyaw
Aung Kyaw Kyaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
@NiLuJe:

Thanks for your guidance and now I can use KOreader very well in forma.
Aung Kyaw Kyaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #28
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
At the end I didn't resist and I installed KOReader and Plato with Your simple method. It works perfectly and I enjoy them very much.
May be KOReader will become my favorite engine, it is a very complete system.
Plato has a more simple and elegant interface, has hyphenation and ligatures (Amazon added them after many years, and Kobo has no ligatures in kepub) but it is still young and many features have to be still implemented.

Last edited by ps67; 01-14-2019 at 02:09 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ps67: Hyphenation should work out-of-the-box on KOReader, and you can get ligatures by selecting the rightmost "Font Kerning" option (in the "B" tab of the bottom menu that pops up when you're reading a book) .

If anything looks wonky, check GitHub, @poire-z has been doing lots of fun stuff around all this recently .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-14-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #30
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Thank'You for answer but I did not want ask about ligatures and hyphenation in Koreader, I discovered how to have them.
In fact I was complimenting Baskerville, in a few months he added (working alone) hyphenation and ligatures while Amazon took years and Kobo, in kepub has not yet the ligatures.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato