Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #526
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven318 View Post
it's funny when other people just ask for the image and no question is made, you just sent, "PM SENT", BUT YOUR TIME IS SO PRECIOUS , and yet you wasted writing this answer, instead helping, but is ok, the kobo i think is doomed already, SO i made a collection of all images that i have of all these years and made a torrent to helping others, thanks for your time!
In case you haven't noticed, I am quite willing to help people. A lot of people would consider that a waste of time, but, I don't. What I am unwilling to do is to try to help people who don't try and help themselves or listen to the advice given. I send a quick reply to those who make it obvious what they are asking for. When someone doesn't make it clear, or makes a statement like yours, I ask. That is an attempt to understand what the problem is and help them better. And make it more likely they will get the device working.

And to be clear, your request demonstrated that you do not know how these devices work. So I explained it. And in the second response gave you a way to work out what device you actually had. That way we could stop wasting each others times and hopefully you would have a working device. If you are not actually interested in doing that, that's OK with me as I don't have to do anything more for you.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:53 PM   #527
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTr View Post
I precise that after few seconds without action (since my finger doesn't get answer from the screen, it turns to a white page, with 5 square points tilting one after each other, and then again to the language menu. And again, and again...
I have tried a restoration which worked but didn't change anything.
Are you sure it is the correct screen? The Clara HD uses capacitive touch. The Glo HD, which has the same screen size and resolution, used IR touch. If you have the latter, or another screen without the capacitive layer, you might get to the state you are seeing but would not be able to go further.

The only other thing I would have suggested is a factory reset. I assume a "restoration" is what you mean by that. But just in case you meant something else, the instructions are on https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-Elipsa.
Advert
Old 10-18-2021, 01:16 AM   #528
CTr
CTr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The model I have ordered is this one:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050...665e6c37vtKN5n
It is indicated to be dedicated to the Clara HD, so I hope there is no mistake on the technical aspects. Or that I didn't purchase the wrong one (but you find almost only one model for the Clara...).
The connectors are exactly the same than on my original screen, an seem very different on the models for the Glo, so I don't think there is a mistake there, but who knows...
Yes, by restoration, I mean factory reset. I made it 3 times already, but it didn't change anything at all.

Last edited by CTr; 10-18-2021 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:06 AM   #529
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The model I have ordered is this one:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/10050...665e6c37vtKN5n
It is indicated to be dedicated to the Clara HD, so I hope there is no mistake on the technical aspects. Or that I didn't purchase the wrong one (but you find almost only one model for the Clara...).
The connectors are exactly the same than on my original screen, an seem very different on the models for the Glo, so I don't think there is a mistake there, but who knows...
Yes, by restoration, I mean factory reset. I made it 3 times already, but it didn't change anything at all.
It looks right. And I took the back off my Clara HD to see what it looks, like and it is very similar. I assume the connector on the left side is the one for the touch. Unless that has been damaged, or not inserted correctly, I don't know what to suggest.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:11 AM   #530
CTr

Many thanks for your help.
I have checked several times, it is well in place. And it doesn't look to be damaged. But difficult to tell with these components...
I have written to then seller, if he doesn't react, I would open a litige through Aliexpress. WE'll see.
Many thanks again, you've been super helpful!
Advert
Old 10-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #531
dotread
dotread began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura h2o
Hi All,

First time poster and owner of a Kobo Aura H2O that is unable to boot. It flashes a black screen twice, then only blinks the power-light indefinitely at about 1hz. Soft reset (paperclip) doesn't work, and can't complete factory reset procedure because nothing shows up on the screen.

Next step is to try and replace the internal SD card, but I need a firmware image file for that. Can anyone provide an image file? Would be most grateful!
Old 10-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #532
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:52 AM   #533
dotread

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.
Thank you, After flashing it to a new SD card the H2O (sorry, I see now that I chose the wrong device thread) boots again! Nice!

Unfortunately for me the touchscreen seems unresponsive with a 'water on your screen?' message, which I can't dismiss. Also when performing a hard reset, i can't confirm the final 'perform factory reset?' question on the screen.

I'll go and find out if the touch-screen layer can be replaced separately, the eink screen itself seems to work OK.

Thanks again for helping out.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #534
dotread

... Noob here: For anyone else who thinks their (IR) touch screen is broken: put the motherboard back in the case first. ��
Old 10-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #535
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotread View Post
... Noob here: For anyone else who thinks their (IR) touch screen is broken: put the motherboard back in the case first. ��
That's not a noob mistake. I have done it every time I pulled my Touch or Glo apart
Old 10-27-2021, 01:30 AM   #536
CTr

On my side, some news: After multiple discussions, Alexpress will refund me the screen. Don't know yet if i purchase a new one or just let it go.
to dotread: I had placed the mother board on its plastic back (to avoid useless pressures on components with my fingers more than anything else). I had even placed a white paper sheet between the screen and its metal support to simulate the adhesive (that I have not installed yet), in case the reflection of the metal would have an impact. The only thing I haven't done is completely reassemble the Kobo.
Can you explain why the plastic back is important to have the IR working? Or is this just to protect components as I did?
Old 10-27-2021, 02:52 AM   #537
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Can you explain why the plastic back is important to have the IR working?
For the Aura H2O v1, it's the front bezel that needs to be installed and properly aligned for the infrared to actually reach the front side of the screen so your touch can affect it (illustration) also the case blocks other light sources that might confuse the sensors.

For the Clara HD I think it has a capacitive touch screen so it doesn't matter. You can sometimes tell by the number of cables (Aura H2O has two, one for the screen, one for the light; capacitive touch devices have one more for the touch). Also IR touch devices tend to have a fin-like structure on the sides (picture)
Old 10-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #538
CTr

Very interesting, and good to know, thank you for the explanation!
The Clara has indeed 3 connections.
Since I have no reliable way to know if the issue comes from the screen or from the mother board that would have been damaged during the operations, I won't purchase a new screen. I don't think I could send it back again in case it doesn't work. I am afraid my clara is definitely dead, except if I can find a local electrician who could make some tests and see what is damaged, but I don't think this will be cost efficient, and I am not even sure to find some who will accept this job. What a pity...
Old 10-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #539
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Unfortunately I also don't have any suggestion regarding your problem. The (capacitive) touch screen should be operational as soon as its plugged in. These components are baked together in the display to create one unit (visually and alignment-wise), so it's several layers laminated together or whatever.

But technically they're independent devices with independent connector cables. So it's possible for the screen to break but touch still work. Or vice versa. If the cable is plugged properly and the contacts are clean it should work :-/
Old 10-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #540
CTr

I have written to an electronics who seems to fix almost every kind of material. A guy working in his garage who wants to help avoiding waste. Waiting for an answer to see if he can do something for me. But there are 2 weeks of holidays now in my region, I guess I'll have to wait a little bit before I know something. If he can identify the chip responsible, I can probably get it fixed.
Closed Thread

Tags
frozen, image, issue