Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #46
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
I should have tested more accurately. You can use margins with a higher value greater than 30, but not every value is saved, after closing CoolReader.

These values worked for me (left margin/right margin):

30/30
40/40
50/50
60/60
80/80
100/100

You can make combinations like 30/50. These will also be saved.

35, 45, 55, 65, 70, 90 didn't work for me.

When I mixed a working value with a non working (e.g. 30/75), I was not able to start CoolReader again, even after correcting the value in the cr3.ini manually.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #47
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Another issue - the font size used for file names in the internal file browser and in the recent book list.
The font size currently is huge. For me, impossible to read. I need 3 times smaller letters to be able to read them comfortably.
For comparison, for book text I am using Amasis size=32 which corresponds to size=20 in the native Kobo reader or in CR on PRS-T2.
If only the size of letters were the same or even a bit smaller - that would be perfect.
Besides, with smaller letters most of file names would fit on the screen without the need for horizontal scrolling.

Because probably there are people who want larger letters, and because a different size is perhaps needed for Aura HD than for other devices, clearly a way to choose the size of that font is needed. Either in settings or at least in cr3.ini file
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #48
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

trekk

Better and better. I was lucky I did not run so far into such values preventing CR to start.
That might explain why some other people can not start CR sometimes until re-installing it.
But still, if you correct it in cr3.ini and it is not enough, then what? Clearing the cache?
Because clearly after that the remaining files are the same as after re-installing.

Unless the font - perhaps it is not the same which font is used? And perhaps its size?
I am using custom added Amasis30 @ 32 (corresponds to regular size 20)
And which book is opened on start and at which position and with what CR style options.
Yes, there are some other factors that go away after re-installing.
Or after removing cr3hist.bmk and cache files.

Last edited by parkher; 09-25-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #49
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
trekk
But still, if you correct it in cr3.ini and it is not enough, then what? Clearing the cache?
Honestly, I have no idea. I corrected the cr3.ini manually, shutdown the device, rebooted, but CoolReader refused to start. So I reinstalled and everything was ok then.

BTW I didn't loose my fonts, nor my settings.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #50
parkher
Evangelist

Depends on how you reinstalled.
It is recommended to delete the whole KoboLauncher folder before reinstalling.
But I think reinstalling was not needed: it should be enough to delete cache and cr3hist.bmk and perhaps cr3.ini too.
Actually, we could determine which of those exactly needs to be deleted by trying one at a time.
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #51
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
It is recommended to delete the whole KoboLauncher folder before reinstalling.
I never do what's recommended. It takes the fun out of hacking Actually I just copied the KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo folder and everything was fine again, settings and fonts included.

Quote:
But I think reinstalling was not needed: it should be enough to delete cache and cr3hist.bmk and perhaps cr3.ini too.
Actually, we could determine which of those exactly needs to be deleted by trying one at a time.
I deleted cache at first - CR won't start, then cr3hist.bkm - CR won't start, then cr3.ini, CR still won't start. I reinstalled via KoboRoot.tgz and everything was good again...
Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #52
parkher
Evangelist

This is very strange.
So what you could do next: to save cr3hist.bkm, cr3.ini and cache on your PC and then deliberately cause that problem and try to replace back one-by-one. But probably will not help either.

Backup the whole installation. The whole KoboLauncher directory?
And then replace back bit-by-bit. Or just compare what changed. Nothing likely changed outside the cr3 directory...

Interesting - when you install cr3 - is there an initial cr3.ini generated or is it created only when you run CR? I assume - only when you run CR. Therefore it is a mystery what happened.
I don't think changes are made directly in cr3 elf itself. But it can be checked. Because we are running out of options.

Maybe access rights of some crucial file were somehow modified?
I mean - file permissions.

Last edited by parkher; 09-25-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #53
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Interesting - when you install cr3 - is there an initial cr3.ini generated or is it created only when you run CR? I assume - only when you run CR.
Yes, usually the cr3.ini is generated the first time you start CR.

Quote:
Maybe access rights of some crucial file were somehow modified?
I mean - file permissions.
Not that I can see.

I hope we can solve this mystery. But not today. It' time for some "Breaking Bad" and some sleep afterwards. Have a nice evening!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #54
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
It' time for some "Breaking Bad" and some sleep afterwards. Have a nice evening!
I am a few seasons behind but I have blurays so I am joining you

Last edited by parkher; 09-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #55
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
These values worked for me (left margin/right margin):
Supported values are:
Code:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 130, 150, 200, 300
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #56
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
Supported values are:
Code:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 80, 100, 130, 150, 200, 300
I was able to increase values only to 100, they do not go any further.
If I write larger values directly to cr3.ini they probably would be reset when CR3 is launched. But maybe not?
Maybe worth trying.

In portrait, 80 is pretty good, on Aura HD it gives me about 8 mm + 87 mm + 8 mm.
87 mm text width is similar to what you find in most mass market paperbacks and 8 mm margin is comfortable enough. Going below 7 mm is not pleasant to me.

In landscape I would need margins to increase the text length further, let's say from 90 mm - so the required margins are up to 250 to ensure there is no big gap between the text width in portrait and landscape.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #57
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I was able to increase values only to 100, they do not go any further.
So, this should be GUI limitation. The engine contains values I've listed.
Quote:
If I write larger values directly to cr3.ini they probably would be reset when CR3 is launched. But maybe not?
They shouldn't. The engine checks if setting value is in predefined set when it reads ini file. If it is not, it uses default value. If you will specify in the ini file one of above values they should work. The GUI limitation just doesn't allow you to enter the value it doesn't validate values stored in the ini file.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #58
parkher
Evangelist

Ok, thanks
But why there are those specific sets?
Actually I tried values = 75, they gave me 7 mm margin and 88 mm text - the seemed to work,
at least those values were allowed to be set and they were working.
Previously I was using = 64 - also was working.

OFF TOPIC:

To English speakers:
I just invented this English sentence, is it correct?

No, do go to do so to Jo!

I guess, there are a couple of dubious things,
No, do go do it to Jo!
would be safer but where is the fun in that?

Last edited by parkher; 09-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #59
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
OFF TOPIC:

To English speakers:
I just invented this English sentence, is it correct?

No, do go to do so to Jo!

I guess, there are a couple of dubious things,
No, do go do it to Jo!
would be safer but where is fun in that?
No, do go to do so to Jo! Seems correct to me.

No, do go do it to Jo! You can not "go do...", to be coorect you should say "go and do..."
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #60
parkher
Evangelist

I think you can: "go do" is a shortcut for "go, do" as in
Go, do it!
Go do it! is usually used instead.
But for my purposes much better is "go to do"

Last edited by parkher; 09-26-2013 at 12:47 PM.