Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
ziobleed
ziobleed began at the beginning.

Device: still nothing
sony prs 505 sold at waterstone has an european warranty?

hi

i want to buy the ereader from waterstone, its 250 euro plus shipment costs
They sell over england?
The warranty is valable only on england or also in Europe?

Im from Italy,these devices, are going to be distributed here?

Great forum!

Bye

zb
ziobleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #2
Eotris
Eotris began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Picked mine up today from the local Waterstones (incidentally, the Sony Store here mentioned that they were also available for purchase from themselves as of today).

The 'Quick Start' instructions are in English and French only, however, the 'Product Registration' leaflet is in six European languages (including Italian) - I'd say that was a pretty good indication that it is an European warranty.

I agree - great forum.
Eotris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Eotris, is the PDF manual newer than 2007?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Canterbury Tail
Enthusiast
Canterbury Tail began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I believe EU law dictates that warranties have to cover all of Europe under the free trade regulations.
Canterbury Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Eotris

igorsk,

The PDF manual installed from the CD is dated '29 May 2008'.
Advert
Old 09-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Eotris, out of interest, when you install the Sony eBook Library software, (I assume there is some?,) where does the 'Store' part take you?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eotris View Post
igorsk,
The PDF manual installed from the CD is dated '29 May 2008'.
Thanks! Can you upload it?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
igorsk, did you see the mentions elsewhere that the UK readers have a firmware reporting itself as 1.2... ?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Eotris

gwynevans,

It displays a banner, which when clicked on opens my browser to www.waterstones.com/ebooks, i.e. it is not integrated (like iTunes).

P.S. The firmware on my newly purchased PRS-505 is 1.2.00.18050
Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
igorsk, did you see the mentions elsewhere that the UK readers have a firmware reporting itself as 1.2... ?
Yep. I need to get someone from UK to dump the filesystem and see what's changed...
Old 09-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
jda180
jda180 began at the beginning.

Date format on UK Firmware?

Having bought my 505 in the US, the only annoying "feature" is the mm/dd/yyyy date format. Do it have correct European format with dd/mm/yyyy on the UK version?

(Yes I know there are various hacks, but unlock with my old Palm Pilot and Windows Mobile devices, I'm getting to lazy to fiddle about with gadgets these days! I prefer them to work out of the box.... )
jda180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Eotris

Yes, the UK version has the format 'dd/mm/yyyy'; there does not appear to be a user-setting where you can change this.