Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #1
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Clarifying the Kobo Clara/Aura options

I've been using a Sony T2 for years, but am looking for a new toy with front lighting. I'm open to a Kindle Paperwhite 4, but I think I'd prefer the ability to color shift the front lighting.

I've been poking around the Kobo options, and am having trouble deciding betweeen the Clara HD, the Aura, and the special Walmart edition Aura (cheapest option).

Can anyone help me clarify what the differences are between the Clara HD and the Aura, other than a few dpi? And what's different about the Walmart edition?

And...would I be better off sticking with my Sony?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I've been using a Sony T2 for years...
I like the T2, just finished reading another book on it the other day.

Quote:
Can anyone help me clarify what the differences are between the Clara HD and the Aura, other than a few dpi? And what's different about the Walmart edition?
I think, basically, the difference between the Clara and Aura is screen lighting and dpi. The Clara also has 8 GBs of memory (instead of 4GB) and weighs slightly less than the Aura (166 grams instead of 180). Nothing different about the Walmart edition of the Aura, except it's cheaper.

Quote:
And...would I be better off sticking with my Sony?
Only ONE reader?!
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post

I think, basically, the difference between the Clara and Aura is screen lighting and dpi. ...
And just to clarify, the Aura doesn't have the ability to color shift.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Grab a Kobo. Front lighting and a newer, higher DPI screen will be an improvement over the Sony.

rcentros and John pointed out the difference between the Aura and the Clara. For the price difference, I'd recommend the Clara. The orange light at night is nice as is the HD screen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Aura 2nd Ed..... 212ppi Front Light but No Color 4 gig storage or about 3000 ebooks Clara....300ppi Front lights that you can adjust white to Blue to Orange 8 gig storage or about 6000 ebooks More If you want to change SdCard [mine has 32 gig inside]
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all so much for your input. Sounds like the Clara HD will be an improvement over the Sony T2. I will definitely hang on to the t2 and I'm sure it'll get some use. I don't like traveling with my nicer stuff so I may still bring the t2 with me if I travel
Old 10-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Will see if there's a black Friday deal at Walmart since I'm not in a hurry.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Only ONE reader?!
Yeah, I'm a bit of a minimalist.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Yeah, I'm a bit of a minimalist.
No, you have some common sense. Unlike me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
No, you have some common sense. Unlike me.
Unlike many here...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Unlike many here...
I'm a Recovering Collector.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Completists of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your money.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Completists of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your money.
I ran out of space before I ran out of money. 😉