Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
how to edit epub page numbering?

Is there a way to influence/edit the epub page numbering convention in calibre epubs?

From what I understand epub page numbers are set so that each page contains a predefined number of strings.

So far so good, but what confuses me is ...

(1) there seems to be no fixed ratio between the page numbers displayed by the calibre reader and those displayed in my ereader (kobo touch).

(2) The page numbers displayed on the kobo depend on the book; i.e. the number of strings per page differs significantly between individual ebooks. For some books one screen roughly matches one displayed page number, for others the page number changes only after as many as 4 screens (this with the exact same font, line spacing and margin settings across books) . Thus the displayed page number must depend on some information stored somewhere in the epub iteself.

My question is whether/how I can manipulate this (strings per page number) setting via calibre (during epub conversion or via the 'tweak epub' function).

(I'd prefer to set up my ebooks so that the page number display roughly matches the number of displayed screens per book. I don't care about page numbers as a fixed external reference which, seeing that the displayed page numbers are not the same between calibre and kobo reader, does not seem to work too well anyway).

Last edited by guma; 08-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Is there a way to influence/edit the epub page numbering convention in calibre epubs?
There is no page numbering in your typical ePub. The page numbering is fabricated by the eReader software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
(I'd prefer to set up my ebooks so that the page number display roughly matches the number of displayed screens per book.
Epubs are reflowable documents that can be at any time, any size font, on a display that is equally variable. That said on my Android device I installed Cool Reader eReader software and by default it numbers the pages just like you want, 1 page per screen. If the font size is increased or decreased then the number of pages (screens) is adjusted accordingly.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-12-2012 at 06:20 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Adob...tions#Page-map

Doesn't work on all readers and only useful if for some reason the page numbers have to correlate with a paper version of the book.

Don't modify page numbers if you don't absolutely have to - keep things simple.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote