Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #31
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
For an eInk device you want to minimize partial screen changes as much as possible. This means a custom UI which is not menu driven. Windows CE does not fit well here because it wants to maintain the Windows look & feel.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #32
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Wallcraft,

There are versions of the QT and GTK+ libraries for embedded Linux systems. Right off the bat I can think of Nano-GTK and I believe there's a pico-QT - but I might not have that name right - and there's also Nano-X for embedded Linux as well. And the entire NGTK and NX only needs 4MB of RAM to work.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The problem is that Java probably won't already be available on a minimal hardware Linux handheld device, so someone has to implement it first. There may be a similar problem for FBReader, which needs GTK+ or QT libraries.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2007, 11:56 PM   #33
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
The iLiad shows what is possible with Java (and their choice of a Java engine is not optimal). Also a 200 MHz or 400 MHz CPU common to most PDAs is actually a powerful computer. Not too long ago i was a proud owner of a 200 MHtz Pentium.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:27 AM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I remember my 4Mhz (8 Mhz with the "turbo" activated) 8086 clone, with 512 kB of RAM and no Hard-Drive -- the processors in these readers seem downright powerful against that memory.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
For an eInk device you want to minimize partial screen changes as much as possible. This means a custom UI which is not menu driven. Windows CE does not fit well here because it wants to maintain the Windows look & feel.
That's not entirely correct. Windows CE is an operating system - the graphical "shell" that presents the UI is just a program that it runs. I agree that the standard Windows GUI shell wouldn't work at all well on eInk, but it could trivially be replaced by some kind of menu system. You see examples of that at ATMs, for example; at least in the UK most ATMs run Windows and they use a custom "shell".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 AM   #36
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's right - the old CyBook runs CE. CE 3, to be specific.

Is there any specific reason that an eInk device has to run Linux? It's just a display technology - would it not be possible to make a Windows CE machine with an eInk display?

The combination of the old CyBook's software with the battery life of the Sony Reader would make a pretty awesome combination!

And this would give you an "instant on" and µBook and ... - I like that idea :-)
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #37
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Since there's now a Mobipocket for Linux (using Java), I'd expect to see it on the Cybook.

I filed a feature request to FBReader to support the LIT format (since the convertlit source is available), but they seemed to feel there would be "problems with re-distribution of the module." I suppose someone could make an add-on for FBReader, but if it doesn't come installed on the unit, most folks aren't likely to figure out how to install it (and I'm not talking about the folks here, obviously). It's interesting that the ProcessText folks are distributing a LIT converter, though. They don't charge for that one, but they do sell their other converters, so they'd be fairly easy to track down if someone wanted to make a stink. I wonder if DMCA protection starts to weaken if not enforced, like brand protection?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #38
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Since there's now a Mobipocket for Linux (using Java), I'd expect to see it on the Cybook.

I filed a feature request to FBReader to support the LIT format (since the convertlit source is available), but they seemed to feel there would be "problems with re-distribution of the module." I suppose someone could make an add-on for FBReader, but if it doesn't come installed on the unit, most folks aren't likely to figure out how to install it (and I'm not talking about the folks here, obviously). It's interesting that the ProcessText folks are distributing a LIT converter, though. They don't charge for that one, but they do sell their other converters, so they'd be fairly easy to track down if someone wanted to make a stink. I wonder if DMCA protection starts to weaken if not enforced, like brand protection?
LIT is owned by MS. They might have pointed to Process Text that they can't make money of it 'Or Else'!!?!!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The process text people's LIT converter is buggy. It loses the space in front of italics. I dont want my LIT reader to be like that. I prefer to use CLIT to break the DRM and then Book Designer to help with the conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #40
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't really see any reason to use a separate converter when BD takes the LIT file directly.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I don't really see any reason to use a separate converter when BD takes the LIT file directly.
But, BD will not take the LIT directly while it is DRM protected. However, since BD uses CLIT 1.8 to read the LIT files, I copied my key for CLIT so now BD will read my DRM protected LIT files. But out of the box, you need DRMless LIT files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #42
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yeah, I was unclear there -- I meant I didn't see any reason to convert the LIT files to some other format before putting them into BD.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #43
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bookeen has new additions to their site.
Specifications And new pictures.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #44
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Bookeen has new additions to their site.
Specifications And new pictures.
yes, that's what we've been talking about for the past days...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #45
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
yes, that's what we've been talking about for the past days...
Newer ones! They were signaled to me by someone there.