Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #16
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
No, Mobipocket uses its own format. It is a layered format, i. e. The outer packaging is Palm .prc format, then each block is compressed and encrypted by a proprietary Mobipocket algorithm (both optional). The content is a HTML file with only minor proprietary additions by Mobipocket.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 AM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
JSWolf,

Quick, tell me how many eInk-based ebook readers out there run under Windows. What's that? I can't quite hear you... That's right, none, zilch, nada, zero. Sure, there are far more PalmOS and WinMobile devices out there than there are Linux handhelds - maybe. But when it comes to eInk, Linux currently reigns supreme.

And supporting BBeB (LRF) is going to be almost as tough as LIT because it also is a proprietary format. I believe, but I don't know for sure, that it doesn't require Windows-specific DLLs, but do you really believe Sony will *want* to license the LRF format to its competitors?

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Mobipocket and eReader use the same format (if I am not mistaken). And yes we do need LIT format. Might as well go with BBeB (LRF) as well. But with the formats you can support on Linux, there is no need to pick on the formats you cannot. It's not Microsoft's fault you went with a lesser supported OS.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2007, 01:16 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
And supporting BBeB (LRF) is going to be almost as tough as LIT because it also is a proprietary format. I believe, but I don't know for sure, that it doesn't require Windows-specific DLLs, but do you really believe Sony will *want* to license the LRF format to its competitors?
I'll take a swing at those two, Derek.

I'm pretty sure that LRF support can be done without Windows specific anything since the Reader itself runs a variant of Linux as its OS, so that falls into the category of (I actually get to use this correctly!) Q.E.D.

I do believe (though let me be clear that it's my opinion, and even I recognize that it could be wrong, but don't tell my brothers I said any such thing!) that Sony would love to license the BBeB format to its competitors. I expect that everyone who has come up with a proprietary format has done so with the hope, however secret, that their format might become the 'standard' format. Otherwise, why not just use an existing one?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:25 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The older CyBook (which I have) supported Mobipocket, so it would seem reasonable to hypothesise that this new machine will do so as well.

I wonder if they'll take the same approach as the old CyBook and provide a range of bookreading programs on it so you can choose which one to use? I really liked that approach! Especially because one of them was "uBook", which is my all-time favourite bookreader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem though is not what the readers run for their OS, it's what the OS the manufacturers decide to Support. If it wasn't for third party software, there would be no MAC or Linux support at all for your laptop and/or desktop computers. This is a fact. Windows is where you will get support. Name me one reader that has never had Windows support?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Natch,

I'm pretty sure that LRF doesn't require Windows either. That wasn't my point. My point was that licensing LRF to other ebook readers *WON'T* sell more Sony ebook readers! After all, Sony isn't in the business of creating and marketing software solutions.

And you're missing my *other* point as well. The LIT format *REQUIRES* that litgen.dll be placed on the device which will be reading the LIT ebook. Guess what? Linux on the eInk devices won't run litgen! Oh sure, the PCs and Macs will be quite useful for downloading LIT ebooks, but the point is to be able to open and *READ* LIT ebooks on an eInk reader. That pretty much means LIT won't be available until someone releases an eInk reader that uses WinMobile or WinXP/Vista as its primary OS.

GAWD! I'd rather be forced to learn cuniform to read my books than have to experience an eInk reader running under WinVista!

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I'll take a swing at those two, Derek.

I'm pretty sure that LRF support can be done without Windows specific anything since the Reader itself runs a variant of Linux as its OS, so that falls into the category of (I actually get to use this correctly!) Q.E.D.

I do believe (though let me be clear that it's my opinion, and even I recognize that it could be wrong, but don't tell my brothers I said any such thing!) that Sony would love to license the BBeB format to its competitors. I expect that everyone who has come up with a proprietary format has done so with the hope, however secret, that their format might become the 'standard' format. Otherwise, why not just use an existing one?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard

JSWolf,

Support? Sure, all the readers can interface with Windows systems. But what's the point of having an eInk reader if you *MUST* be tied into it, either via cable, Bluetooth or WiFi, in order to open and read the LIT ebook? Because you'd have to turn your eInk reader into a wired/wireless 'dumb terminal' in order to do so. Get this straight, *opening* a LIT ebook requires the use of litgen.dll. Litgen won't *run* under Linux.

Sure, we could all learn how to run ConvertLit on our primary systems and then take the resultant output over to our eInk readers but the *VAST MAJORITY* of ebook users aren't going to want to do that.

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem though is not what the readers run for their OS, it's what the OS the manufacturers decide to Support. If it wasn't for third party software, there would be no MAC or Linux support at all for your laptop and/or desktop computers. This is a fact. Windows is where you will get support. Name me one reader that has never had Windows support?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #23
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Huh? litgen.dll is for generating .lit ebooks. msreader.exe is for display of .lit ebooks. Both are Windows only though.
Linux seems to be the OS of the future for reader devices. Mainly because it is customizable for any hardware you cook up. You also find more experts to do the implementation.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #24
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The older CyBook (which I have) supported Mobipocket, so it would seem reasonable to hypothesise that this new machine will do so as well.

I wonder if they'll take the same approach as the old CyBook and provide a range of bookreading programs on it so you can choose which one to use? I really liked that approach! Especially because one of them was "uBook", which is my all-time favourite bookreader.
The old CyBook ran Windows CE (right?), so there were multiple software e-book readers to choose from. For Linux there is really only FBReader, and the only DRMed reader is Sony's software currently tied to their hardware (Mobipocket requires Java to run under Linux). I, too, assume that the new CyBook will support Mobipocket, but I'm not sure how they will do this (add Java, or produce a native Linux reader, or switch to Windows CE). If the new CyBook supported MobiPocket DRM and FBReader it would be a killer device, well worth a small premium in cost over the Sony Reader. If they can get software vendors like uBook to produce Linux versions for the CyBook (and Asus Eee, etcetera) that would be even better.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #25
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

Sorry, there is also Plucker. Where is the problem of needing Java for Mobipocket? Mobipocket simply has not yet released a general Linux reader.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #26
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
Where is the problem of needing Java for Mobipocket? Mobipocket simply has not yet released a general Linux reader.
The problem is that Java probably won't already be available on a minimal hardware Linux handheld device, so someone has to implement it first. There may be a similar problem for FBReader, which needs GTK+ or QT libraries.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #27
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
Sorry, there is also Plucker.
Is anyone using the Linux Plucker Viewer? I had high hopes for this when the Nokia 770 came out, but early versions did not work well and I switched to FBReader (which reads plucker format). Now the Plucker Viewer isn't even listed in the maemo.org applications list.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My point was that licensing LRF to other ebook readers *WON'T* sell more Sony ebook readers!
Quite right, it almost certainly wouldn't, but licensing the BBeB (LRF/LRX) format to other e-book vendors most likely would do just that.

Quote:
And you're missing my *other* point as well.
<snip>
Linux on the eInk devices won't run litgen!
Oh, I didn't actually miss that point so much as I didn't really feel that I needed to specifically express agreement with it, since it seemed obvious to me that it was true and accurate.

So I decided to move on to the points upon which I felt I had something useful to add.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The old CyBook ran Windows CE (right?), so there were multiple software e-book readers to choose from. For Linux there is really only FBReader, and the only DRMed reader is Sony's software currently tied to their hardware (Mobipocket requires Java to run under Linux).
That's right - the old CyBook runs CE. CE 3, to be specific.

Is there any specific reason that an eInk device has to run Linux? It's just a display technology - would it not be possible to make a Windows CE machine with an eInk display?

The combination of the old CyBook's software with the battery life of the Sony Reader would make a pretty awesome combination!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any specific reason that an eInk device has to run Linux? It's just a display technology - would it not be possible to make a Windows CE machine with an eInk display?
I'd assume that it's more a licensing than a technical consideration, but that's more figurin' than knowin'.