Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
alegriadelarte
alegriadelarte began at the beginning.

Device: epub
How to generate a TOC as a page in the eBook?

Hello,

I wish to create a table of content from headers h1 to h4 so that the headers cascade in an automatically generated html page.

I know that there is the "Modify TOC" button, but I haven't found a way to actually generate a page and further more I wish to put this page in my ebook between two chapters.

The resulting page might look as such

Title1
___Title11
___Title12
Title2
___Title21
______Title 212

Thanks
alegriadelarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Once you have a NCX TOC (that is what you create with the TOC tool),

Select Tools:Table of contents: Insert Inline TOC

That inserts the file TOC.xhtml near the front. Move it to where you want it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
alegriadelarte

Generates exactly what I was looking for.

But the issue is that toc.xhtml appears of the screen on a smartphone, with a padding-left about 1/3 of the screen.

I tried
.level1 { font-size: 170%; padding-left: -1em; padding-top: 3em; }
.level2 { font-size: 60%; padding-left: 0em;}
.level3 { font-size: 80%; }

To no avail

Last edited by alegriadelarte; 05-13-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #4
alegriadelarte

the TOC has its own css on which the stylesheet.css does not apply (for example if one sets body{ background-color: red;} one sees that it does not apply on the TOC)

Where is the css of the TOC??
Old 05-14-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegriadelarte View Post
the TOC has its own css on which the stylesheet.css does not apply (for example if one sets body{ background-color: red;} one sees that it does not apply on the TOC)

Where is the css of the TOC??
It's at the top of the TOC file itself in the <head> element.
just change or add your css code inside the <style type="text/css"> element
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
alegriadelarte

>It's at the top of the TOC file itself in the <head> element.
I tried, but fails to work.

The TOC file is really treated independly from the others
Old 05-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

It works for me. Did you also change the style for the li element?

Your problem might also be that the <li> and <ul> element are rendered by default with a text indent. So if you don't want the text to be indented add:
Code:
text-indent:0
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
alegriadelarte

Not satisfied, behaviour is inconsistent according to reader.

Quote:
.level1 { font-size: 150%; padding-left: 0; text-align: center; background: lightgrey; }
.level2 { font-size: 60%; padding-left: 0; text-align: left; text-indent: -2em;}
.level3 { font-size: 80%; text-indent: -4em;}
If I view Edge under Win10: ok
If I view under Android, with Eboox, Google Play or ReadEra, I have very different behaviour.
Eboox does not at all take into accounts the above css.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If I view under Android, with Eboox, Google Play or ReadEra, I have very different behaviour.
You have blundered into the nasty truth about some Viewer apps.
'We know better" (and will only do it our way)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Nicolas F
Groupie

Quote:

Sadly, theducks is right, since different readers don't render things the same your CSS will not always give you the same result and it can be difficult to change this...

You could try to add
Code:
  li, ul {
    list-style-type: none;
    text-indent: 0;
    margin: 0;
    padding:0;
  }
to put everything at 0 before your code
Old 05-23-2018, 01:54 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Why bother with an inline TOC page when all of the readers you cited have the ability to open the standard epub TOC?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Why bother with an inline TOC page when all of the readers you cited have the ability to open the standard epub TOC?
Because they need some place to us Page Numbers?
So it looks exactly like the dead tree version?
(Gah! Years ago, I sent hours making a data entry form look EXACTLY like the paper version that they (the client) had used for decades. <surprised they didn't have quills and ink wells in the home office >

Tags
toc pages