Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
jocala
jocala began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2
3.0 calibre-server --daemonize

OS X 10.12.5

After upgrading to calibre 3.0 (OSX) calibre-server isn't starting at boot. The startup plist below lives at ~/Library/LaunchAgents/

From the command-line:

Code:
/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-server --port 8080
works, but fails if I add --daemonize

startup plist:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.jocala.calibre-server</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-server</string>
        <string>-p 8080</string>
    </array>
    <key>KeepAlive</key>
    <true/>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>
jocala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First, as noted here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...cli-index.html the path to use for console applications is /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/

Second if you are running via launch services anyway, why do you need --daemonize -- IIRC launch services takes care fo that for you?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
jocala
jocala began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
First, as noted here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...cli-index.html the path to use for console applications is /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/

Second if you are running via launch services anyway, why do you need --daemonize -- IIRC launch services takes care fo that for you?
Launch services isn't starting calibre-server since I upgraded to 3.0. That's why I tried starting server from the console with --daemonize. Anyway, I just tried

Code:
sudo /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-server --daemonize --port 8080
Same result, no server running. If I remove the --daemonize it starts.

Code:
sudo /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-server  --port 8080
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:8080
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 192.168.1.20 port: 8080
My preference would be to get the server running again via the plist.
jocala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please dont use sudo to run servers unless you are trying to have them listen on a privileged port.

And when you say does not run what do you mean? What error do you get? IIRC you should be able to get some output about failed launchd services from console.app.

Is the process running in Activitty Monitor? Is it using CPU? Use the --log option to have the server write a log somewhere and see what is in the log.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Gilles P.
Gilles P. began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, mac
Hi,

I have the same problem with the web-server after upgrading to calibre 3.0
Environnement : Mac osx 10.12.5

The web server works only when I start it from the application Calibre, not after the Mac boot with the Plist file... (my preference too, as Jokala ;o))

For information, here is my Plist file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.PrenomNom.calibre-server</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-server</string>
<string>-p 9191</string>
<string>--with-library=/Users/PrenomNom/Documents/BiblioCalibre/</string>
</array>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<true/>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

@Kovidgoyal: I saw and understood your remark about the path... But I don't think that the problem comes from this path... which worked with the previous version.

Any ideas ?

merci par avance ))
Gilles P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is no --with-library anymore. The server serves all known libraries. If you want to serve a specific library, you do it with just by passing he path to the library as an argument withno --with-library

Also now that the server can make changes to the library, you cannot run botht he GUI and the separate server together.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Gilles P.
Gilles P. began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, mac
Hi,
OK without "with Library=" it's working, but....
I'm sorry, but for a mac and iPad user the previous version was better.
With the version 3.0, on the mac server, the app Calibre is launched and visible. I cannot use the GUI ???
and the GUI of the the new web server... The previous version was better - more options to list books. For information, the viewer doesn't work with pdf books.
The last but not the least, now I cannot shut down the mac server, I need to force quit calibre app first to shut down the machine.
At the moment, for me, the best way to use Calibre is to launch the app and start the web server manually... or I did not understand everything.
Best regards
Gilles P. is offline   Reply With Quote