Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-08-2015, 04:35 AM   #1
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
quick way to insert footnotes in sigil?

Hello everyone.

I'm reading a book in which the footnotes are marked with an asterisk * next to the word to explain and another one some lines down, with the footnote interrupting the flow of the book. It's non impossibile to read, but it could obviously be a lot better.

I know I could copy all the footnotes in one file, give each an ID, and link them from the book, but is there a faster way to fix this?

Thanks
1v4n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Fix?
It is not broken. (IMHO but it will be if you move all the notes from their respective FOOTnotes to the ENDnotes position. When you put them all in one place, you load an entirely different page of text, then return. Not all devices do this well...even close to where you were).

Do?
Use the Anchor and link icons.
Place the visible marker in the text [1], select it,
use the chain to link to another anchor name (the foot note).

Add the foot note (the text):
Anchor it (give that link above the target to hit)
link it back to the origin (not all devices have a back button)

[1] this is the note
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
1v4n0
Groupie
1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.1v4n0 writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thanks. The notes are not linked right now, and they interrupt the text, so it's not the best solution
Old 09-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You're editing a book or writing one? I usually finish up my books in Word, so the last time I had endnotes (footnotes really don't work in e-books) I ran the *.doc through a clean-up utility and opened the resulting html in Sigil. (Normally I edit the html myself in a text editor, but I didn't want the labor of creating back-and-forth links.) Required some cleanup, but worked just fine.

Ideally, though, one would want to put the return link at the beginning of the paragraph or anyhow the sentence, so the reader isn't left hanging with just a number or asterisk at the top of the "page."
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Have a look at my tutorial (see my signature). There's a specific section on footnotes.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
1v4n0
Groupie

Thanks everyone. I know how the notes work though, my question was if there is some quick way to do this from within sigil without having to manually insert all the links and anchors
Old 09-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
Thanks everyone. I know how the notes work though, my question was if there is some quick way to do this from within sigil without having to manually insert all the links and anchors
You could easily do that with RegEx if the notes were numbered, which is not your case...
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Doesn't Toxaris' word plugin move all links to the bottom of the doc??

IIRC then you could feed it each chapter and it should be able to handle them...although you may need to clean up the links with regex enough so that his plugin will recognize them as links.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Doesn't Toxaris' word plugin move all links to the bottom of the doc??

IIRC then you could feed it each chapter and it should be able to handle them...although you may need to clean up the links with regex enough so that his plugin will recognize them as links.
Yes, it does. Either bottom of the doc or bottom of the chapter. But, only if it is a footnote in the Word document. So, you would still need to do the work.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you compose in Word, with its comprehensive footnote capabilities, a Calibre conversion to EPUB does a pretty good job of constructing functional links.

But foot/end notes are a blasted nuisance when reading an eBook. I try to confine them to academic references - necessary for completeness, but rarely actually read! Anything else that is worth reading can go in the text flow. We should design eBooks, not facsimiles of printed ones. (I understand perfectly that our customers may not agree :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
If you compose in Word, with its comprehensive footnote capabilities, a Calibre conversion to EPUB does a pretty good job of constructing functional links.

But foot/end notes are a blasted nuisance when reading an eBook. I try to confine them to academic references - necessary for completeness, but rarely actually read! Anything else that is worth reading can go in the text flow. We should design eBooks, not facsimiles of printed ones. (I understand perfectly that our customers may not agree :-)
I don't agree. Just because they 'forgot' to properly implement footnotes in the ePUB specs is not a reason not to use them. I still use them in the hopes that in the future there will be proper support. Some readers automatically uses popups for proper designed footnotes. If this get supported, my ePUBs are 'done'. If I put it in the text flow, I need to search for it and then convert. Even as an endnote they work (with back-link of course). The reader can choose to read them or ignore it. When it is 'in flow', it disrupts the text and cannot easily be skipped.

I use the same policy for small-caps. I use the font-variant in the hopes that the readers will finally support it.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1v4n0 View Post
One word: Word.

Clean the html, open it in Sigil.

(No need for Calibre.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #13
1v4n0
Groupie

How? I got an EPUB file. You mean opening the single files in word?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard

One way is to import the ePUB into Word, process as you would like and export it again as ePUB. You can do this with my add-in. It is possible to reuse the stylesheet if you want.

I believe you can also convert an ePUB to a Word document with Calibre, but I am not sure.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Yes, calibre recently (May 2015) added a DOCX Output plugin
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote