Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
OK. I've got it straight, then. Given that info, I doubt it's a shell extension. I'm making a wild guess that there are images that blow up the routines used to gather an image's details (dimensions, color-depth).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #32
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@DiapDealer, Trane - I was getting something similar last year, Sigil misbehaving when adding video or audio. I was exploring the possibility of using EPUB3 for a particular project.

The problem went away when I finally disabled all my shell extensions. It was part of product that I've used for decades. I was averse to ditching it because in all that time it has never effected any other programs, and it's part of a package that provides me with tools I use all day, every day, such a global snippets manager, a clipboard manager etc.

The software is no longer available, and I have no idea where to find a usable copy of the installer. It was payware and its license key was restricted to a MAC address.

The product name is ShellToys, its producer was Cool Focus, they were based in the UK (Essex I think), they went broke as a result of the 2008 crash. Apparently they made an unrestricted version of the installer available to existing licensees, but I didn't get the email, because they had my old Lavabit address, and we know what happened to them...

I have tried to find a copy of the unrestricted installer - no luck. There was a free version called Shelltoys XP, it may be available somewhere, can't recall the differences between the it and the payware version.

Ah-ha... I found the thread, this is the last post ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=42

Interestingly the problems I saw in 0.9.5 didn't happen in Sigil 0.8.4.

But we didn't use EPUB3 for that project, instead we created some apps using the Unity x-platform development tool.

BRrt
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I remember that discussion Red. I linked to it on the first page of this thread.

I think this is something entirely different though. It's the "Insert File" dialog that's hanging/crashing on @trane (if I'm understanding him correctly). That's not a native file-open dialog and shouldn't be affected by shell extensions.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane View Post
I just counted about 100 images in the Sigil Images folder (open inside Sigil in the left tree). They are all either jpg, gif or png and none are large files. (There is a mix of clipart and digital photos.)
And those all show up in the dialog to Insert a File when you click on it?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #35
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
OK. I've got it straight, then. Given that info, I doubt it's a shell extension. I'm making a wild guess that there are images that blow up the routines used to gather an image's details (dimensions, color-depth).
Well that's a tough one. I guess I will just use CTL+S continually. Thanks for the time and effort.
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #36
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
And those all show up in the dialog to Insert a File when you click on it?
Yes sir. (I don't count them, but they all look to be present.) And not that it matters, but FTR Trane is a woman.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #37
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@DiapDealer, Trane - I was getting something similar last year, Sigil misbehaving when adding video or audio. I was exploring the possibility of using EPUB3 for a particular project. [...]
Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. (It sounds like DiapDealer believes this to be something different so I defer to you gurus here...)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 PM   #38
Trane
Groupie

PS It is odd that if it is a funky image file it doesn't crash it every time.

Is it still worth a try to reinstall Sigil for a fresh ini??
Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #39
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I can see one gigantic issue with autosave, how to determine when it's safe to save a valid epub, one that is not in-flight so to speak
Or just made FUBAR by a poorly thought out S&R <just did one of those. reloaded book from LAST SAVE> I usually save after any major SUCCESS
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #40
Trane
Groupie

FTR this is the icon I click on the toolbar to place an image, and the resulting window that opens is what crashes the program.

Should I try navigating a different way to the image folder?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #41
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
OK, the "Insert File" feature doesn't even use a native file dialog (unless you're using the "Other Files" button within it). [...]
Just noticed this, and no, not using the "Other Files" button. Didn't even know it was there until you mentioned it and I went looking for it.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
And not that it matters, but FTR Trane is a woman.
I knew that was going to happen the minute I typed "him", but I gambled and lost.

Don't give up yet! I'd like to see if we could get Sigil to consistently hang by selecting one particular image. If so, I'd like to see that image. So if you could, write down the name of the image you're inserting and if Sigil hangs, try repeating with the same image (after relaunching Sigil) to see if it hangs every time that particular image is selected.

Also, if you want to try a brand new Sigil.ini file like Kevin mentioned, you don't have to reinstall Sigil. Just make a backup of your current .ini (found in Sigil's preferences location -- Edit->Preferences->Open Preferences Location). Delete the existing Sigil.ini and a new one will be generated when Sigil is opened the next time. You can put the backup back if the problem persists.

Another possibility is WHERE in the html you're inserting the image code. Great pains are taken to determine if it's safe to insert an image where your cursor is positioned. But that doesn't mean you haven't found a loophole that blows something up occasionally. So also try to make note of the html you're inserting an image into whenever it hangs.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-28-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:15 PM   #43
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I remember that discussion Red. I linked to it on the first page of this thread.

I think this is something entirely different though. It's the "Insert File" dialog that's hanging/crashing on @trane (if I'm understanding him correctly). That's not a native file-open dialog and shouldn't be affected by shell extensions.
Missed that post, on the second page

I agree Insert File (here) is entirely different to what I was dabbling with, I missed that too.

But, I would still think its worth eliminating all shell extensions and TSR like programs. If only to remove the 'I wonder if...' doubts.

Its easy to disable them with ShellExView and Task Manager and run in Safe Mode. Then if there's no problems just re-enable them. FWIW CCleaner has mass disable/enable of startups, Task Manager is one-at-a-time.

BR
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #44
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Should I try navigating a different way to the image folder?
Should not make any difference, but why not

Via the menu press Alt, I, F

Keyboard shortcut press Ctrl+Shift+I

BR
Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #45
Trane
Groupie

Quote:
I'd like to see if we could get Sigil to consistently hang by selecting one particular image.
Well see that's the odd thing. When it crashes and I re-start it, it ALWAYS works right after the crash... It places any image fine. It might place several images fine over the course of an hour or more... but eventually it crashes again. (Never with the same amount of time between crashes however... might go an hour, might go 10 minutes...)

So it's not like a particular image is doing this. And I am still adding images to Sigil.

Quote:
So if you could, write down the name of the image you're inserting and if Sigil hangs, try repeating with the same image (after relaunching Sigil) to see if it hangs every time that particular image is selected.
It hangs before I have selected an image. As soon as the File Insert window opens and populates, it hangs... making it impossible to select an image.

Quote:
Also, if you want to try a brand new Sigil.ini file like Kevin mentioned, you don't have to reinstall Sigil. Just make a backup of your current .ini (found in Sigil's preferences location -- Edit->Preferences->Open Preferences Location). Delete the existing Sigil.ini and a new one will be generated when Sigil is opened the next time. You can put the backup back if the problem persists.
Good deal. Will try that.

Quote:
Another possibility is WHERE in the html you're inserting the image code. Great pains are taken to determine if it's safe to insert an image where your cursor is positioned. But that doesn't mean you haven't found loophole that blows something up occasionally. So also try to make note of the html you're inserting an image into whenever it hangs.
I have floated a few images for wrapped text but the work of the last several days has been inserting between paragraphs. I am a neat nick so I hit the return key after the last </p> and hit it again to drop the next paragraph down a line. Then I delete the code those returns generate for a blank line, and that's where I insert the image. But again... it never hangs while actually inserting... it hangs when the Insert File window opens.