Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
rGiskard
rGiskard began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini 4, Nexus 7 2013, iPhone 6 Plus
Two suggestions:

1. When connected to my calibre library via content server connection, I can't find a way to group titles or authors in a first letter hierarchy layer. This feature would improve browsing tremendously.

2. Is there a way to multi-thread book downloads from a content server? One download monopolizes the app.
rGiskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #17
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rGiskard View Post
Two suggestions:

1. When connected to my calibre library via content server connection, I can't find a way to group titles or authors in a first letter hierarchy layer. This feature would improve browsing tremendously.
This is done in calibre itself, rather than in CC. Configure this by going to calibre's preferences, then "Sharing over the net". There's a box towards the middle called "Max ungrouped items", which defaults to 100. That means that it will only group by first letters once there are more than 100 items in a particular group. You can set it to a lower value, with a minimum of 25. This will then use grouping by first letter in most things other than sorting by title or by newest.

Quote:
2. Is there a way to multi-thread book downloads from a content server? One download monopolizes the app.
Unfortunately not yet. I know this is important, so it's up there on the todo list.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #18
rGiskard
rGiskard began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini 4, Nexus 7 2013, iPhone 6 Plus
Thanks Steve, you're tip on "Max ungrouped items" really enhances cc usage on my ipad. I keep my library on my computer and only download to my iPad when needed, so it works perfectly now. The multi-threaded downloads will be nice but it's not absolutely necessary for a good user experience (for my needs).
rGiskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:55 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Haley View Post
This is done in calibre itself, rather than in CC. Configure this by going to calibre's preferences, then "Sharing over the net". There's a box towards the middle called "Max ungrouped items", which defaults to 100. That means that it will only group by first letters once there are more than 100 items in a particular group. You can set it to a lower value, with a minimum of 25. This will then use grouping by first letter in most things other than sorting by title or by newest.
I just added this response to our FAQ system: How do I get categories grouped by first letter in the Content Server connection?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #20
Zebedi
Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.Zebedi got an A in P-Chem.

Device: IPad Pro 12.9, 10.5, IPhone SE
Thanks for this great little program. Would it be possible, in a future update, to have the option to be able to select multiple books to send to Marvin (or any book reader) please.
Zebedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #21
dpeace
dpeace began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Another vote for Box access.
dpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:07 PM   #22
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Size/information of the list view

I would really liek to reduce the size of the list view (at least on the ipad); as at the moment i only see 6 or 7 books, with a mostly blank list. Depending on the setting, you see the book title, author and either some addditonal information (liek date added, series) and if activatrf the read icon and the book icon.

I would really like the ability to change this to get 15-20 book shown and/or to get additonal information on the screen!

Thanks and best regard
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #23
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Hi,

This is a great app! If possible I would like to see the following features:

Demo Version: The android version has both a DEMO and PAID version of CC. ios doesn't have a demo version. While I was sure that I wanted to use CC, other apple users may like to test it (android demo allow 20 entries), before buying. So I would like to request a demo version for iOS.

Syncing between Devices: I note that you have advised users to use the Calibre Reading List Plugin or Smart Eject Plugin in order to sync devices. While this is doable, I would like to request a feature where you can sync between devices. Maybe have one device as the primary device, and choose "Sync with Secondary Device" or something like that. This would be particularly easy if you were using CC as a catalogue as not as much data/files to sync.

Editing the "About Book" metadata: I note that someone else has requested this feature before (see quote below), and it was replied that its currently on the android version and was coming to iOS soon. Do you have any updates/progress on this? I would like the ability to move the comments section up below the cover with bigger font, or rearrange the fields, or delete/hide certain fields. Not sure if this would be a matter of changing a template or another setting in Settings for all books or if you could set this book by book.

Quote:
Customize what info or order of info shown on the metadata screen. Ie choose to see or not see certain info like "path" or to have the comments show under the cover instead of at the bottom.
CC as a reader: You probably get this question a lot. If CC was a reader as well that would be fantastic. I know this would involve a lot of work. Too bad you couldn't incorporate Marvin or something like that with CC, especially as Marvin developer seems to be fairly quiet at the moment....

Thanks for a wonderful app again.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #24
Inukami
Zealot

Choosing Folders & Multiple Libraries

Another few feature requests....
  1. Choose Folders: When I wrote this post, I realised that iOS CC was missing the ability to choose folders. The CC FAQ, How do I choose which formats calibre sends and where the books are stored?, seems to suggest it works for both when I don't think it does, so it may need [Android] next to it. I would like to request this feature for the iOS version as well.
  2. Multiple Libraries: Could we please get the ability to access multiple libraries on CC? I don't believe you can currently do this. Currently you would need to reconnect to each library separately.

Thanks as always.

Inukami
Old 07-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #25
Steve_Haley
CC iOS Developer
Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.Steve_Haley is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Variety phones/tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Another few feature requests....
The CC FAQ, How do I choose which formats calibre sends and where the books are stored?, seems to suggest it works for both when I don't think it does, so it may need [Android] next to it. I would like to request this feature for the iOS version as well.

Inukami
You're right; I've just added the [Android] tag next to it. Format choosing exists in the iOS app (about 1/3rd of the way down the settings menu), but folder locations don't. Folder locations would only be relevant for people with rooted devices, as normally CC can only store files in its own private folders and no other apps could access them. So essentially the organisation system chosen wouldn't matter. I know some people have rooted devices, but it's a low enough percentage where it doesn't justify the effort.

As for your other comments, I'm sadly also another developer who's usually gone quiet. CC took months of full time work to get to where it is, but it never made enough for it to continue being my full time job. That means progress is pretty slow these days, but I do refer to this list when I do work. I've just fixed a round of bug fixing that's taken most of the day, so my next session is going to be a while away.
Steve_Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #26
Inukami
Zealot

New FAQ: What is Calibre Companion?

Hi Steve,

Could you please put a new topic called “What is Calibre Companion?” or something like that on the CC FAQ under either General or under a new category? I noticed that you don’t really explain what it is in the FAQ and some others have wondered this in the forum. There is an explanation on your website and the stores, but nothing on your FAQ. I have provided an example below, basically using your explanation from the store with one extra point that I thought might be useful for users to know…Some images would be good too. Some others may have other thoughts…

Inukami

What is Calibre Companion?

Calibre Companion (CC), recommended by calibre developers, is three applications in one:

- a superb device-based calibre library organiser
- a high-performance WiFi-based calibre device emulator
- a calibre content server and cloud provider client (Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive)

1) CC is a device-based calibre library organiser. Once you put books on your device using one of the connection methods described below you can:

- view a book's metadata (author, tags, series, rating, dates, etc.).
- sort and group books by their metadata.
- see book lists by cover or by list.
- mark books read and sync this information with calibre.
- launch your book reader application to read a book

[Insert Image]

2) CC can connect to calibre over WiFi and be detected by calibre as a device. Once connected, you use calibre to move books to and from your device. Calibre automatically updates all the book metadata stored by CC to match the latest in your library.

[Insert Image]

3) CC can connect to calibre’s content server or to your cloud provider to browse your library and download books to your device. Supports Dropbox and Microsoft OneDrive.

[Insert Image]

Notes:
  1. CC is not a reader app. You must install and use one of the many excellent reader apps available.
  2. You must also already use calibre to manage your library of ebooks.
  3. By default, CC imports the book file (and its metadata) into your device, so if you don’t have much storage on your device, it is recommended that you use CC as a catalogue/database instead or only import the few that you are going to read soon. This may be particularly recommended for users with comics.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:51 AM   #27
bblatt
bblatt began at the beginning.

Device: None
hi i wish both android and ios had these feathers
Editing book info
Syncing between Devices in cc
a ereader
bblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:02 AM   #28
garfieldnate
garfieldnate began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
pCloud access

I bought lifetime access to a lot of space on pCloud, and I've been moving my books into a calibre library located on that drive. It would be great if I could access my library there.
garfieldnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #29
t_heinrich
t_heinrich began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Hi,

it would be great if there is a a cover grid view in the connection types section.

Cheers Thomas
t_heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #30
Habakkuk
Reader
Habakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litterHabakkuk doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX
My iOS wish list.

1. I store my library on iCloud, so having that as an option would be nice.

2. I would like to try before I buy, so a demo version (say, size or time limited) would be good.
Habakkuk is offline   Reply With Quote