Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Bargain (DRM-free) Fairy Tale Review free issue + 50% off sale [Literary Fantasy]

So, Weightless eBooks will shortly no longer be carrying issues of the Fairy Tale Review journal (apparently now a publication of the Wayne State University Press; ETA: which is planning on charging $10 a pop for these in e-version , at least for the more recent issues), which is a literary fantasy magazine based on, you guessed it, fairy tale retellings.

As a going-away thing, they are offering 50% off back issues of the journal and other FTR ebook releases using the coupon code FTR when purchased from their site, presumably good until March 6th, when it they will no longer be available for purchase. (Plus some additional not-really-related sales on mythology-related and LGBT fantasy anthologies listed below as well, while I'm typing up this post.)

Anyway, a full free complimentary copy of the journal (DRM-free PDF, due to illustrations & typographical layout), The Blue Issue, is offered as a downloadable sampler for you to try to see if might like to pick up the rest.

This one ran to 110 pages and contained stories, poetry, illustrations, and essays, including a contribution by Jack Zipes, who is a noted fairy tale anthologist/commentator (you may have seen him credited in the back of those Ellen Datlow/Terri Windling theme anthologies as a further reading resource).

The most cost-effective way to pick up the entire available run of the journal (which works out to $6.50 for 6 issues) is to get the Fairy Tale Review Special bundle which contains the first 5 at $9.99 pre-coupon, and then pick up the remaining Red Issue separately (individual issues cost $2.99 pre-coupon).

Anyway, here's the link to the page @ Weightless eBooks for the FTR publications, and their blog page giving the terms of the sale.

NB: Last year Weightless had this quirk where if you put something in your cart, used a coupon code, then added more stuff, the coupon discount would not be applied to the extra stuff added.

I don't know if they've fixed this, but just to be safe, add everything you want to buy to the cart before putting in the FTR coupon code and checking out.

Also, Weightless has a couple of additional eBooks on time-limited special sale at 50% off (no coupon code required, automatic discount while the prices are still good):

Women and Monsters collection of Greek mythology-based short stories by J.M. McDermott (published by Night Shade, ISFDB entry) for $2.99. McDermott's been pretty generous with the freebie offers in the past and I like mythology-based stuff, so I'm going to personally pick this up and will probably also get all the journal issues and maybe the rest of the sale stuff after I do a bit more sample-reading (and dig up whatever I used for my Weightless login).

The following two LGBT story collections from specialty publisher Lethe Press made the American Library Association's Over the Rainbow list of recommended library acquisitions or whatever it's for, hence the temporary sale:

Heiresses of Russ 2011: The Year’s Best Lesbian Speculative Fiction edited by JoSelle Vanderhooft @ $4.49. Includes contributions from Nebula-nominated Rachel Swirsky and Hugo-nominated N.K. Jemisin and Ellen Kushner, one of my personal favourite fantasy authors (she apparently hosts some sort of arts and culture show for a major radio network down in the States as well).

You Will Meet a Stranger Far from Home: Wonder Stories by Alex Jeffers (ISFDB entry) @ $3.49, a collection of shorts.

You'll have to pick a format when checking out, but last I tried the site, even though I'd chosen ePub when available, when I logged in to download my books I also had PDF and Mobi options where applicable.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-05-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Whatever the electronic equivalent of sticker shock is. I shall now proceed to panic buy with utmost dignity. Well, maybe not the dignity. But panic, sure.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Huh? Please enter an amount greater than 0.

Whas happenin'?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Huh? Please enter an amount greater than 0.

Whas happenin'?
No idea. Cart & coupon worked for me last evening when I bought all the FTR press stuff (one of the novels turns out to be from a Pulitzer Prize nominee, so I figured at half-price I might as well) and discount still seems to apply when I check it now.

But for just the freebie issue download (if that was what you were trying to get), click the link at the top of the descriptive blurb (right above where it says Editor's Note) rather than using the add to cart function.

ETA: Alternative download link at the top of the FTR website's back issues page & a freebie online supplement to the 5th issue as well (don't know how long these will stay up, as the main URL seems to have turned into a Wayne University redirect).

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A right-click above the descriptive blurb got it.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of this magazine, and it looks extremely interesting.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expired freebie