Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Writer's Forums

I was wondering where writers go when they're not in MR's writing corner: which writing forums you recommend and for what reason.

Although this little writing corner can be an interesting and helpful place, it is just a tiny corner of a site dedicated to reading on electronic devices, rather than authorship. I often feel the need for support from other writers, or just to see what they've been doing and how they cope with certain problems.

Even recommendations for Facebook groups would be welcome.
Thanks so much in anticipation.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I know of one but you have to pay to join and it has many adult writers. PM if you want the details.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
No recommendations from me, sorry. I don't participate anywhere but here. ... Oh, and in my journal. I write to myself a lot: it's good to have someone who understands me and will listen so patiently . Seriously, I find it helps just to get stuff out; I don't actually need anyone else to hear it, I just have to get it off my chest.

Part of the reason why I don't participate elsewhere is a matter of time. Most of the writer's forums that I have seen seem to be mostly about reviewing each another's work rather than more general support/discussions (but not having participated on any, I may be selling them short). Anyway, the point is that if you join a group where people share their writing amongst themselves, it is only fair that you participate by reviewing the work of others (if you expect people to review yours), and such participation can be very time consuming. I can procrastinate well enough on my own without that sort of distraction.

(I'm not trying to say you shouldn't, just saying why I don't.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I'm also interested in this question. I'd like to see any ideas about it.

I'm finding that most Creative Writing classes certainly have a 'support' aspect, but it would be good to have something more.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I go to Absolute Write as well as here. It's more than just a review each others work site. There's a ton of good advice there too.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not looking for a review site, but something along the lines of the Nano forums, maybe more developed; where authors can share gripes and problems, for example when to tell rather than show. With perhaps a procrastination corner with writer-related games and prompts etc.
Will take a look at Absolute Write, which I've heard mentioned several times.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

I just tried to register for Absolute Write and found that I joined in 2009 and forgot about it. Silly me.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It should work; it has just the kind of things you were asking for.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I just tried to register for Absolute Write and found that I joined in 2009 and forgot about it. Silly me.

No soup for you!

NEXT!

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I go to Absolute Write as well as here. It's more than just a review each others work site. There's a ton of good advice there too.
Thank you for this tip. I've joined, and go three replies to my first question within ten minutes.
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
wyvern
Small friendly dragon
wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
kboards is another place and there are also writer forums on Goodreads.
wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
Riddick
Riddick began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
Kboards.com is the forum you're looking for. The "writers cafe" subforum is the best forum on the internet for authors interested in self-publishing. After that Absolute Write is good too.
Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
Kboards.com is the forum you're looking for. The "writers cafe" subforum is the best forum on the internet for authors interested in self-publishing. After that Absolute Write is good too.
I think Kboards is good for information on self-publishing, but Absolute Write is far better for questions about the craft of writing.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #14
SaranderBrander
SaranderBrander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, the cheap one
There are many different kinds of communities where you can ask the one question I think is most important to an independent content creator. "What am I doing that no one else is?" In order to promote my ebook, as well as have a good time chatting, learning, and discovering more about the medium in general, I joined about 20-some completely different forums for variety's sake.

The ones that have been most helpful to me in terms of writing support are the ones that hew closest to the subject matter of my story. (Ska)

So, what are you writing about? Where's the internet forum filled with people dedicated to that topic?

I noticed in another thread that Lemurion posted his back cover blurb for his 1930s pulp action adventure story. My hunch tells me that the advice he received to remove some gorillas and shorten his sentences is good in general, but not necessarily right for his specific genre. He might get a second opinion from forums dedicated to 'Doc Savage' novels. What were the original back cover blurbs like? Can Lemurion take what stands out about them and intensify them?
SaranderBrander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #15
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaranderBrander View Post
There are many different kinds of communities where you can ask the one question I think is most important to an independent content creator. "What am I doing that no one else is?" In order to promote my ebook, as well as have a good time chatting, learning, and discovering more about the medium in general, I joined about 20-some completely different forums for variety's sake.

The ones that have been most helpful to me in terms of writing support are the ones that hew closest to the subject matter of my story. (Ska)

So, what are you writing about? Where's the internet forum filled with people dedicated to that topic?

I noticed in another thread that Lemurion posted his back cover blurb for his 1930s pulp action adventure story. My hunch tells me that the advice he received to remove some gorillas and shorten his sentences is good in general, but not necessarily right for his specific genre. He might get a second opinion from forums dedicated to 'Doc Savage' novels. What were the original back cover blurbs like? Can Lemurion take what stands out about them and intensify them?
I see where you're coming from, and I'm a member of various pulp fan FB groups. Having said that, the original pulps sold advertising on the back, so none of them had back cover blurbs the way we would think now.

Tags
facebook, writing forums