Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Anyone else prefer the user interface of the last-gen Sonys?

Am I the only one who prefers the user interface of the previous gen Sonys, e.g. PRS-300? I'm not a huge fan of the touch screen - I find the new UI needs too many clicks do things that should be easy, like creating bookmarks. The same with moving to a specific page. Is the build quality the same between the last and current gen? The PRS-300 feels a little more solid - less cheap plastic perhaps? Do they have the same CPU and memory?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Which model are you referring to? Making bookmarks on the 650 is as easy as double tapping a corner.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
And to go to a specific page, just tap on the number of the page on the bottom of the screen. I don't know how it was on the previous models though.
It's my first reader, but I feel it's really well done, and easy to use, but have no device to compare it to.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I see your point, Stodge; however, moving to a specific page via the 505 buttons wasn't the smoothest operation either, and I very rarely bookmark (the reader resumes each book where I left off, so why would I need to do so?).

One of the best features of the 650's touchscreen for me are books where one can go back and forth between text and footnotes!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
Oh thanks - I didn't know about the double taps.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I like bits of both UI. I hate the home screen of the new readers. I would much rather have the home screen of my 505. Otherwise, I like most of the new UI.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
i like the 650 ui, tho i do think there are a couple of instances where they could trim a tap or two.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #8
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

I'm kinda struggling to find ways where my 505 was better. And the more I use the 650, the more I find ways of doing stuff that I thought was easier on the 505, so I'd say the new ui is fairly successful.

Only thing that comes to mind now relates to newspapers. When clicking on section home, it takes you to the newspaper-like layout where you click on a headline, instead of having article titles in a list, all with the same font. Kind of minor, but with the new layout, you can only see 2 or 3 article titles per page, so more page turns.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
Which model are you referring to? Making bookmarks on the 650 is as easy as double tapping a corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
And to go to a specific page, just tap on the number of the page on the bottom of the screen.
Thanks for those tips!

Those were things I liked better about the 300...still like the 300 with the book mark more.

My problem with the touch screen is sometimes the pages will fast forward when I'm not changing the page.

I'm right handed and would have liked the turn page buttons on the right side instead of the left for the times I use it completely one handed (like for snacking). This is another thing I like the 300 more for. I never needed to use 2 hands.

Overall I do really like the 350 I love the weight of it much lighter and smaller it fits better in my purse than the 300.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #10
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I think my 350 is superior to my former 300 in all aspects; more compact, better hardware with a better screen, better software; more fonts, more options to customize..and more options invariably means a more complex menu; a price I'm happy to pay.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Is there a history function that spans all recent books (as with the 505) instead of just the current one?
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I only see the option to view history for the current book.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I like bits of both UI. I hate the home screen of the new readers. I would much rather have the home screen of my 505. Otherwise, I like most of the new UI.
I'm on the fence about the home screen.

I like the improved sort features to the book menu, but if you can't control which books appear on the home screen, I'd rather just skip it!
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
fafaforza
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragons View Post
I'm right handed and would have liked the turn page buttons on the right side instead of the left for the times I use it completely one handed (like for snacking). This is another thing I like the 300 more for. I never needed to use 2 hands.
I was worried about that too, but as others responded to my post about this, you can hold the reader with your fingers between the cover sides and/or reader and use your thumb to swipe. Works for me so far.

Though in other instances, you are forced to use 2 hands. That's just the nature of touch screens and not having buttons for most functions.

My main gripe is the cover. Both sides flex and don't stay aligned, like the one on the 505 did. So it's a bit harder to hold the reader and to swipe using the method I described above.

Would have preferred it to be more rigid.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
I was worried about that too, but as others responded to my post about this, you can hold the reader with your fingers between the cover sides and/or reader and use your thumb to swipe. Works for me so far.

Though in other instances, you are forced to use 2 hands. That's just the nature of touch screens and not having buttons for most functions.

My main gripe is the cover. Both sides flex and don't stay aligned, like the one on the 505 did. So it's a bit harder to hold the reader and to swipe using the method I described above.

Would have preferred it to be more rigid.
Thanks!

I got the Pink Ribbon Bundle and the case that came with it isn't the greatest you can't fold back the cover. I need to get a new cover so it is easier to read.

With the couple tips in this thread I'm down to only the page turning as my only gripe...oh and the page turning on it's own at times.

I do love my 350
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote