Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Choosing NOT to download Freebies Just Because They're Free

I think most of us addicted to reading and to reading with ebook Readers (ebookieuses to you!), now realize that we can pick-and-choose when it comes to the freebies.

Only about one year ago, I downloaded practically everything, because it was FREE!

Now, with so many publishers offering freebies on a regular basis, I find myself grunting noncommittally and moving on, choosing rather to ignore the fat historical fiction or the [yet!] seemingly endless stream of free Christian fiction titles that inundate my consciousness with their tasteless covers and horrid prose and sledge-hammer message - (not that there's anything wrong with poorly written books! Even [GASP!] horror, Sci-Fi, Mystery, et al can be horribly written.)

There's been an explosion of ebook Readers and a wider acceptance of their marketability as a viable alternative to paper books. I believe they've finally hit the mainstream.

What think YOU, "Oh Wise MobileRead Articulator of Inestimable Opinion"?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Too many books, too little time. In particular with freebies I think it important to put in an extra evaluation step, not just download willy-nilly....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I've always read whatever interests me and don't worry much about price beyond at least trying to pick up what I want while it is on sale. Being free has never been a reason in and of itself for me to get a book. If I'm interested in reading it I get it, if I'm not I don't. Simple.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Too many books, too little time.
I agree! I only download a freebie when it really sounds interresting. Not that I've come across a lot of freebies, but still.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I've had my Sony 505 for almost 2 years now and I used to get every freebie and just delete them if they were boring but I am more restrained now and with the recent plethora of Romance and Christian fiction it makes the decision pretty easy
Still I also buy some of the $1.99 books of the month at Sony if they sound particularly interesting.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Christian Fiction......wait.....

Now I'm confused.......
Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Call me an ebook hoarder. More free books = more choices. I don't have a lot of abundance in my life, I really like having an abundance of ebooks to choose from.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
My problem with Freebies, is the question "is the author selling themself short? ", and also, I like in some small way to put food in thier belly and money in thier bank account!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My policy always was to download only what I expected to read, even if when I expected to get around to reading it was sometime in the future. I've never been a person who simply accepted something because it was free. As far as ebooks go, all free means to me is that I am willing to try a new author whose book synopsis looks interesting, whereas I would be hesitant to spend even a few dollars on the unknown ebook author. However, if I read the book and find that I like the writing style, I tend to search out what else the author has written and buy it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
My problem with Freebies, is the question "is the author selling themself short? ", and also, I like in some small way to put food in thier belly ...!

Feeding Tube?

Old 05-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It occurred to me, not so long ago, that, being what might be called "middle-aged", I can realistically expect to read fewer than 1000 more books in the remainder of my life. I am therefore trying now to be selective, and read books which are WORTH reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't think I ever downloaded everything that was free, even at first, but after a short while I realized that I was just wasting time with those: reading about them, downloading them, trying to read them. Now I just ignore them, and I use the same methods for selecting the books I download, regardless of their price.

Of course, I will be more likely to download a book I'm not sure about if it's free or very cheap. But I don't go bargain-hunting. That has never been my nature anyway.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Feeding Tube?

Most of our ESTEEMED Authors NEED looking after

PS I used to be a Psychiatric Nurse
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #14
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I only download a free book if I like the summary. Then I'll give it 1 chapter to impress me. If I don't like it at that point, it's deleted.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've already read enough freebie material that turned out to be drek, to be cautiously selective about what I bother to download these days.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote