Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
Americanchild
Enthusiast
Americanchild doesn't litterAmericanchild doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for starting this tread as I am always looking for new authors. Cleo Coyle's character Clare Cossi is one of my favorite even if it is hard to believe she encounters/witnesses so many murders as a coffee house manager! Janet Evanovich's character Stephanie Plum is by far my all time favorite.
Americanchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Cornwell's early stuff is very good but her more recent ones are really awful, She has declined a lot, imho. Anything from after the time she tried to go 'literary' is just dreadful.

Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series is very good, and consistently so. Same with the J.D. Robb series. Others I like, both old and new:

- Raymond Chandler is fun. There is also a series available at Fictionwise in mutltiformat which pays homage, except that the Marlowe-esque character is a dwarf from another dimension who accidentally gets sucked into 1930's mob Chicago, where he sets up a PI practice. I believe the author is Tee Morris.

- Holmes is fun. Jacques Futrelle, who came a little later, is similar in style (short stories and novellas all featuring a logic-and-deduction sort of PI) but Futrelle was more into the 'locked room' type of story. The novella I read of his had the main detective character bet he could escape from an unescapable prison cell within a certain time period.

- Other Conan Doyle contemporaries who get good reviews: the Arsene Lupin series by Maurice LeBlanc, the Raffles series, Chesterton's Father Brown...

- Then there is Sayers, Christie, Bramah, Anna Katharine Green, Mary Roberts Rinehart, Wilkie Collins...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if you like perry mason you should definitely try the Donald Lam mysteries by "A.A. Fair" ; that's actually an ESG pseudonym. different detective, but similar "creative" approach to problem solving, and similar "how is he going to get himself out of this one" secondary mystery in each book. they're often really funny, too.
Thanks, I will. Of course I immediately recognized the "A.A. Fair" pseudonym, but I don't recall ever checking out anything he's written under it.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-02-2010 at 01:18 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Jack Reacher from Lee Child
Joe Pike and Elvis Cole from Robert Crais
And of course, the most of them all Tom Ripley from Patricia Highsmith.

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow, there are so many great ones here - and quite a few I haven't read.

Thanks everybody!
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #21
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
And of course, the most of them all Tom Ripley from Patricia Highsmith.
I wouldn't class Ripley as a sleuth; he commits the crimes rather than detecterisies them.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanchild View Post
Thanks for starting this tread as I am always looking for new authors....
Yeah, good thread, thanks! Americanchild, I don't think your TBR list will ever get short now that you're hanging out around here!

+1 for Marlowe! (I just finished reading "The Big Sleep"--great read!)

And another thing, what about that word "sleuth"? Kinda fun to say!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
One of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned is Jimmy Kudo/Conan Edogawa (this is the same person) from "Detective Conan" (Japanese Title)/"Case Closed" (U.S. Title), a manga and anime series. This is an excellent series featuring a young man named Jimmy Kudo who is considered by many in the series to be the Sherlock Holmes of his generation and with his physical and mental skills the comparison is justified. The series features a combination of excellent mysteries that will leave you guessing until the final reveal, and humor. A nice touch in the manga is that in each volume the author includes an article on other famous fictional detectives including Sherlock Holmes, Lt. Columbo, and Arsene Lupin.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #24
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Sherlock Holmes, novels of Will Thomas, Wilkie Collins.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #25
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I don't think anyone has mentioned these, but Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels are very good.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a super sleuth, but Jim Butcher's 'The Dresden Files' are also very good. Dresden is a wizard and a PI that helps the Chicago PD solve strange crimes. The first few books are more mystery like, the later ones more fantasy, but all are great reads.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #26
zipzip
zipzip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Nancy Drew, of course. Sure wish the original, out-of-print editions of her pre-1970 books were available as ebooks.
zipzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #27
Fiona
Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Mobi for Nokia N95; Hanlin V3; Sony PRS350; Kindle for Android
Dirk Gently (Douglas Adams)
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #28
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Robert Hans van Gulik - Judge Dee

H. R. F. Keating - Inspector Ghote

And also, - Nils-Olof Franzén's Agaton Sax - a sleuth I loved as a child.

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-04-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added Agaton
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Morse (I prefer the books to the TV series), Rebus, Holmes (obviously), Amelia Peabody.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #30
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
Amongst others, many of whom have already been mentioned, I very much enjoy the two sleuths introduced by John Dickson Carr - Dr Gideon Fell, and (by his pseudonym Carter Dickson) Sir Henry Merrivale. I'm sure I remember the latter describing some of the more turgid Russion authors as "Russian Crutch Walkers!"

snowman
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote