Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #31
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Eh, I'll pass on the note that I have to submit my email address to them. I rather not seeing how I usually get spammed a few days later by another dozen publishers/ebook retailers.

I guess it's fine if it's Adobe DRM'd since my reader can read Adobe DRM books.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #32
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I have never had a spam problem from UofC, they usually send one email a month advertising their current free book. The rest of the process is a real pain in the butt though.

I usually run with flash blocked so I need to unblock that to get the d/l link, then I need to have the totally pointless ADE installed next I have to strip the DRM as a point of principle (especially on a book about piracy) then I need to convert it to an ebook format as pdf is not an ebook format. So after an hour or so I can read the 'free' ebook. This long and unnecessary procedure is one of the reasons I will NEVER buy an ebook with DRM.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
Given the subject matter, it's tempting to download it just to remove the DRM and email it back to them

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Zelda,

I suspect part of the problem is being in France. However, I also received an error message when I clicked on the link (my first page was different, as it detected ADE as bein installed). When I closed that error page, however, at the top of IE there was a "download file being blocked" banner, which I clicked and then it allowed me to save the ACSM file.

ADE is a pain - at least the one from Random House Australia downloaded without a hitch this month - last month it was offline with one problem after another for over a week and then when it came back up, it took several tries to get it downloaded and installed (various licensing error messages).

Given the experience with EPUB/PDF via ADE that most people get, perhaps the iPad will prove popular. The ease of buying, installing and getting on with reading has been behind a lot of the success of the Kindle.
hm, do you think it could be geographic ? that wasn't the impression i got (it just told me it couldn't connect to the server), and it didn't say anything about that in the page, but i guess you never know. i've actually never had a problem with ade in the past. i just think this particular delivery method (embedding the link in a flash animation so there is no way to right click / save as manually, wrapping the link delivery up with the installer...) is needlessly (and even stupidly...) complex. no worries, since, i have acquired the file through alternate means but it's still annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddly bodkins View Post
OT (sorry) There is a really good one here:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/asparagus_risotto/
yep, that looks about right. thanks for the recipe.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hey! Are you guys Trafficking in pirate recipes?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #36
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quite unusual for this book offer to be one day only! Good thing I was on the ball when downloading it early..
Oh, and you should have seen all the errors displayed before it successfully downloaded! ADE is getting into quite a mess.. it always asks me when I run it if I want to complete downloads, even though all downloads are done..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedgarcia View Post
I've received this email about the book Piracy: The Intellectual Property Wars from Gutenberg to Gates by Adrian Johns.

It seems will be free only today (Feb 1st)

The link is http://pressuchicago.qm4.net/a/0/124...6/default.aspx

You have to have Adobe Digital Editions installed to be able to download it.

Regards

Paulo
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #37
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Hey! Are you guys Trafficking in pirate recipes?
I don't know about you, but Pirate fish and chips with side order of noodles sounds great
The FSM would be pleased, me mateys!
RAmen!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #38
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I saved the acsm file, and then opened it in Sony Library. It worked.
I'm still to try using Sony Library for the purpose. it might help me avoid the messiness which is ADE.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #39
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Quite unusual for this book offer to be one day only! Good thing I was on the ball when downloading it early..
Oh, and you should have seen all the errors displayed before it successfully downloaded! ADE is getting into quite a mess.. it always asks me when I run it if I want to complete downloads, even though all downloads are done..
well i'm relieved to know it's not just me.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but Pirate fish and chips with side order of noodles sounds great
The FSM would be pleased, me mateys!
RAmen!
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #40
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Oddly enough, I didn't have any problems downloading it on my Ubuntu Netbook. Below the flash-doohickey telling me my system is not compatible there is a link that is clearly marked for linux users that allows you to download the ascm file directly.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Oddly enough, I didn't have any problems downloading it on my Ubuntu Netbook. Below the flash-doohickey telling me my system is not compatible there is a link that is clearly marked for linux users that allows you to download the ascm file directly.
alas, that link only appears if you are on a linux machine. i noticed conditional messages in the page depending on which browser i used, warning about compatibility or potential problems (no warnings in firefox though). if there had been a direct link it would have solved all my problems.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #42
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
I get many of the same errors. tracking down and deleting any old .acsm files gets rid of the messages, usually, until some more left behind.

I also see you are using sony software - it uses ADE, it just hides it (and hides the error messages, so you can't tell what the real problem is), so doesn't really help. It does give you another place to hunt down the epub file and a different reader interface.

I wonder if they'll dump flash when the iPad ships - if it can download epubs/ade-pdf directly, it'll still have problems with any site that uses flash. So kiss reading those web-only versions of books at Kobo goodbye; although they are adding a reader app for the iPad, which should allow their mobile versions to work (they also think they are going to charge $9.99 for NYT bestsellers, which tells me MM hasn't stomped on their dreams, just yet).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
I suspect part of the problem is being in France.
I doubt it, since it (eventually) worked for me in Poland, so I don't think it's a geo-restriction issue.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #44
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
It only worked for me if I opened DE first. I finally noticed the DE that opened hd nothing in it, and I knew I had a library book checked out. I left DE open, and downloaded again, and it worked.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #45
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
I suspect part of the problem is being in France.
Could the problem *be* France, somehow?
My natural reaction is that there's nothing wrong with France..