Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
PDF conversion help

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm not sure what search terms I'd use to dig it up.

Scans of books made by Google, Microsoft, and others seem to be in multiple layers per page, with at least 2 layers that I can see-- one of mostly just text (and other areas of black) and one of mostly just every other color. Done, I assume, to make OCRing easier. When you open a PDF file, you can often see the background layer appear before the text/black is overlaid on it. Which is fine, when you are just viewing it as a PDF.

But how do you convert that to other formats and have it look correct? I have a series of public-domain booklets that I gathered together several months ago from various archives (some on Google, some the Internet archives, etc.) They work as PDFs on my Sony Reader, but page changes are slooooooow. So I wanted to convert them all to EPUBs (for myself and to share.) Calibre failed utterly in converting them correctly. I have a full retail copy of an ancient version of Acrobat (version 5) which allows full editing of PDFs, but-- on this old version, at least, when I export the pages they are exporting as their individual layers, with the "black" layer garbled and useless.

Anyone have a solution? These are the files:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/okec99
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Though a bit cumbersome, you can use PDFRead 1.8 to convert those scanned .pdf ebooks into either the Sony .lrf format or Mobipocket .prc format (and then use calibre to convert the .prc to .epub).

There is no .epub support within PDFRead, but it can also be made to retain the .html and images used to create the resulting ebooks (using an empty file named "debug" in the PDFRead install directory) and thus that could easily be used with calibre or Sigil to yield a .epub ebook!

See the attached samples from "Japanese Fairy Tale Series 01 #01- Momotaro.pdf" noting that the .lrf and .prc were created by PDFRead using two successive "runs" and the .epub was created using calibre from that .prc.

It seems PDFRead is a good fit. Have fun converting all of them!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Spent a long time playing with PDFRead, but couldn't find a way to make the images use the full vertical space (and be centered on the horizontal) so I ended up having to export them as individual images, archive them as CBRs, and use comiclrf to make them into LRFs. The LRFs mostly look okay, considering the source material. EPUBS, on the other hand, ended up looking horrible for all of them. But here are the LRFs I made.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zy6qaj
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
andreas65
andreas65 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
actually what u could do is use rasterfarian. have a look for manga2ebook and it will put u on its trail. what it does is, manga2ebook can be used to convert cbr/cbz to pdf, though it will mess up the sequence, so calibre does a better job. that pdf is a scanned pdf. rasterfairan is a separate tool, which will rasterize and CONDENSE a pdf. i.e. on a 1.5 GB color pdf from a comicbook, u may happen to be able to obtain a lrf which is abt 200 MB, which is dramatic. speed should be ok then. but the results are not always the same. if u have a BW pdf which is almost without shades already, reduction maybe will only achieve 50% reduction.
andreas65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I find that PDFLRF and soPDF work better than either PDFread (sorry Nick) or Rasterfarian for this job -- I'd recommend PDFLRF in particular for this job.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

I should say, Google already offers most of their public domain titles in both ePub and PDF format, though the ePubs are not that great.

Not sure why this thread isn't in the PDF forum.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I find that PDFLRF and soPDF work better than either PDFread (sorry Nick) or Rasterfarian for this job -- I'd recommend PDFLRF in particular for this job.
Oh, no offence taken! I'm always one to use the BEST tool at hand, and if PDFLRF does the better job, then so be it!

Thanks for recommending it based on your practical ("real world") experience.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote