Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is the best Ebook Reader For Australia?
Cybook Gen3 2 14.29%
Sony 9 64.29%
Hanlin V3 3 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
WhippStar
WhippStar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Best Ebook Reader For Australia?

I live in Australia and i am having trouble deciding on which reader to purchase.

We dont have much choice here unless I purchase online from overseas, which I am reluctant to do because i like to see something before i buy it.

The only ones we have available here at the moment is the Cybook Gen3 and the both the illiad's.

Could someone please recomend what the best option for Australia would be?

I would mostly be using it to read novels from mobipocket and it needs to be able to handle direct sunlight as i travel alot and have a good battery life.

Thanks
WhippStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
At DA Direct in Melbourne, we have these in stock: Cybook, HanLin V3, both iLiad versions and the iRex DR1000S. We also have all accessories for these readers.

http://www.dadirect.com/books/ebookreader.asp

There's a comparison matrix at:
http://www.dadirect.com/books/downlo...pecsMatrix.pdf

Suggest you also take a look at the below link...

Last edited by cbell; 01-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
WhippStar

i think i have decided on the Cybook just because if i got the sony i would have to keep converting the books from mobipocket format for the sony and that could get tiresome.

No one seems to have it in stock at the moment, dymocks say it can take up to six weeks and DA direct its three weeks
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Hi Whippstar, DA Direct received a shipment of new Cybooks yesterday. They're in our Melbourne warehouse now. We send Cybooks by overnight courier around Australia.

If you place an online order today, you'd have your new Cybook very quickly. I strongly recommend you consider purchasing a protective cover at the same time. We have Bookeen covers in stock, too.

Keep in mind that you get no warranty if you purchase a Sony and you can't easily buy books from the Sony store.

Have you looked at the HanLin V3? They're the same 6" screen as the Cybook and the HanLin package is cheaper than the Cybook.

If you're in Melbourne, you can visit DA for a demonstration.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
WhippStar

thanks i just bought it online, i cant wait to get it i am running out of bookself space
Advert
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
cbell
Frenetic

Thank you! I see your online order for a Cybook. I'll contact you with more information via email (I have your address). I understand your username now

Oh, and there's a second order for a Cybook, thank you! I'll contact Melissa direct.

Last edited by cbell; 01-05-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Another order!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I voted for the Cybook, because I see that you have ordered one and I wanted you to feel publicly validated in your purchase.

You're gonna love it, WhippStar!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
cbell
Frenetic

I'd vote against the Sony for Australians, for the reasons I gave above.

For reading novels, I'd vote for either the Cybook or HanLin, as they're both great devices.

However, I'm still an iLiad addict at heart. I love the size of the iLiad's screen and its hackability.

Last edited by cbell; 07-17-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
Venusa
Venusa began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad V2
Iliad V2

Hackability?

i love that word when it comes to tech. =)

I have been eyeing the Iliad for the longest time, but am not too sure what else I could do with it aside from its standard issues.

What else have you installed/hacked into this already-gorgeous device?

Venusa
Venusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
cbell
Frenetic

I've installed most of the programs available here to try them out (most of them are only on my CF card). I have iNewsStand (its a wonderful Feedbooks program and I use it often), Gimmix Jukebox, Madplay, Lan/Wifi On and Off scripts, Dillo, Midori, Solitaire (Ace of Penguins), FBshot, Slideshow, mrxvt, I've also loaded the reflash files (but I haven't had to reflash).

I haven't installed the new ContentLister. Although it looks great, my iLiad has to look default.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
khilto01
khilto01 began at the beginning.

I'm looking at the DA Direct comparison matrix and I can't make up my mind! I like the idea of buying my device from an Aus store rather than havg to send it overseas if something goes wrong, eg, Bebook. I had it narrowed down to Hanlin v Sony but am now thinking I want something Aus based as I read that if you get Sony from overseas you don't get any warranty. Now I'm thinking maybe I should look at the iliad and irex, but I'm so confused, plus I'm not sure I want to spend that much. All I want is to read my e books on a device rather than on my laptop. I don't need the device to do anything other than display my books. I don't care about games or music or making notes. Anyone have any advice? Not going near dymocks, their DRM sux apparently. I'm thinking Hanlin v Cybook. Please help!!!!!
khilto01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Wow, DA Direct comparison is a bit scary. Given I can get a(nother) Sony delivered from US for about $500 the prices seem a bit out of this world. I think I'll keep waiting until either the pacific peso rises a bit or device prices drop. My laptop only cost $500 so spending more than twice that on a liseuse doesn't seem justifiable.

FWIW I never had a problem with my Sony except for the final fatal bug - the "run down the street shouting 'don't leave me behind'" mode failed to engage.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khilto01 View Post
Not going near dymocks, their DRM sux apparently.
Though you might buy the device from them (I still wouldn't recommend it, based on my own experience), you obviously don't have to buy ebooks from them, so their DRM doesn't matter if you go that way on the hardware.

Quote:
I'm thinking Hanlin v Cybook. Please help!!!!!
Both of them would be good choices for a "just read an ebook".

The advantage the Cybook has (for me) over the Hanlin is "dictionary lookup" from within an ebook (noting that it requires you to have a dictionary loaded on the device too, which is a purchase requirement for the commercial ones, like Chambers or Oxford - there are "free" dictionaries available, they're perhaps not quite as good as the purchased ones, but "good" is a subjective term based on value to you). If this dictionary thing doesn't matter to you, well, I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Note, as moz suggests, there are people who have been perfectly happy buying something like the Sony(s) from overseas (as you will see from the forum popularity, lots of fans of their hardware too), such as from B&H Photo Video. I didn't feel comfortable doing that, worried about warranty claims, but I'm a worry-wart. I would have had no worries buying from B&H though, because they've got a very good international reputation, particularly amongst photographers.

In the end, do your research and bite the bullet. You'll be happier once the decision is made, and gives you focus on buying and dealing with ebooks (On that note, pick some hardware in your mind, then go to some ebook stores to make sure you can get sufficient number/variety of your preferred content. This may not only make up your mind on which device, but make up your mind to abandon the idea altogether if you feel it insufficient).

Cheers,
Marc
PS. moz, does this mean you lost your Sony? If so...bugger. Sorry to hear it.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #14
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
Hmmm...I was about to post a new thread, but here we all are talking about the best eBook reader for Australia so-a question!

I'm eyeing off either the Fictionwise 1150 or a GEB 1150-getting a travel adapter to change the charger's pin pattern is no problem but...will it charge on Australian 220v power as opposed to American 110v? Or will it spontaneously combust???
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinch View Post
Hmmm...I was about to post a new thread, but here we all are talking about the best eBook reader for Australia so-a question!

I'm eyeing off either the Fictionwise 1150 or a GEB 1150-getting a travel adapter to change the charger's pin pattern is no problem but...will it charge on Australian 220v power as opposed to American 110v? Or will it spontaneously combust???
MrFinch, I don't think this is necessarily a bad place to ask, but it might be worthwhile posting a new thread over in this forum section too:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=152

The reason I suggest this is that a majority of the non-North American home power supplies are in a similar or the same range as our (Australian) voltage, and there are, I believe, a few non-North American users who will likely have had to deal with a similar or the same issue.

Cheers,
Marc