Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
Sony PRS-350 having problems, reboots constantly

I have a Sony PRS-350. Last night when I set it down after using it, it had 75% charge. This morning the battery was dead. Normally it just goes into "sleep" mode with no problems. But as I tried to charge it, it kept rebooting, which is probably why the battery went dead last night.

I tried hitting the reset button for 1 second and that didn't seem to change things. Then I tried holding Reset down for 10 seconds, and that didn't seem to change things either.

I have a cheap Chinese charger cord that changes a color as it's plugged in. While the cord reads 4.7vdc (within 10% tolerance), it does not charge, no amps seem to be going through it.

Another cord is currently charging the device as it now says "Charging battery". It is not constantly rebooting on this different charging cord. It is actually hooked to my PC so the 2 drives appear in Windows 8 while it's charging.

So, if the first Chinese cord is bad, could there be something else wrong with it? The battery is still original, as I got the device used.

Thanks!
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
At this point, it's probably the battery that's dead.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to go with the battery being shot. Given how old and slow the 350 is, I highly recommend getting a new Reader instead of trying ot replace the battery. It's just not worth it. Also given that most of your eBooks will be ePub, I suggest going with a Kobo Reader so you don't have to convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I was also leaning towards a dead battery. I think it's the original battery.

What other smaller Sony readers support Epub natively? And I'd like to sideload books too.

How about any other readers that support larger font sizes, sideloading, and EPUB? I like the e-ink because that old Sony PRS-350 is what I used to read outdoors. The device must be able to override CSS settings of the font size in the ebook and sideload books without extra software.

Last edited by crankypants; 07-17-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
Thanks. I was also leaning towards a dead battery. I think it's the original battery.

What other smaller Sony readers support Epub natively? And I'd like to sideload books too.

How about any other readers that support larger font sizes, sideloading, and EPUB? I like the e-ink because that old Sony PRS-350 is what I used to read outdoors. The device must be able to override CSS settings of the font size in the ebook and sideload books without extra software.
Most Sony Readers are slow and could have issues with excess CSS and hi-res images. I don't know about the T3. That's the only Sony with a resolution of 1024x758 and might be OK. But I've no experience. To be honest, there are no Sony Readers I'd buy now.

As for larger font sizes, you'll want a larger screen size as well. For a Reader that has many many more font sizes, the ability to side load the fonts of your choice, has adjustable margins and line height, with a very nice screen and nice front light, I recommend the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2. It has a 6.8" hi-res screen and for larger font sizes is much nicer than a 5 or 6" screen.
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're in the US and feel like taking a chance, Sony readers can be had secondhand for pretty cheap. You never know if you're going to get one with a good battery and how long that battery will last though. I've bought most of my Sonys secondhand and have had great luck with them having good batteries.

A Kobo is the next best thing but no page turn buttons on them. I tired one and didn't like that so I went back to Sonys.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There's no need for page turn buttons. The touch screen is just that much better. Also, with eInk screens, you really don't get visible finger prints like you do on an LCD screen. also, buying a used Sony, you are taking a risk. The battery could be shot or almost on the way out. It's not worth it. The screen on a new Kobo is just so much nicer. I've seen the difference between my H2O and a T1 and it's not even close. The H2O is so much nicer. Plus, once you have a Reader with a front light, you won't want one without. Newer ADE on Kobo for much nicer typesetting. There is nothing going for a Sony Reader.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-17-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:27 AM   #8
crankypants
Hmm.

@JSwolf, I see the Kobo Aura h2o is splashproof. That's a plus. I'll look into that. Do all Kobos support EPUB natively?

My Kindle K3 (from about 2010) just doesn't support EPUB so there's not much point in using it since I mostly read EPUB.

Last edited by crankypants; 07-18-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:44 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants View Post
@JSwolf, I see the Kobo Aura h2o is splashproof. That's a plus. I'll look into that. Do all Kobos support EPUB natively?

My Kindle K3 (from about 2010) just doesn't support EPUB so there's not much point in using it since I mostly read EPUB.
Yes, all Kobo Readers support ePub using RMDSK (ADE). The new Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 is not just splash-proof, but truly waterproof.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 AM   #10
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

Touch screens suck. They do not work for me at all. I can't tap or swipe correctly and never could get the hang of it. That's why I got rid of the Kobo Touch that I had.

I also get fingerprints on an eink screen so a screen protector is a must to make the screen easier to clean.

If you use Calibre, you can convert EPUB to whatever it is Kindles like and sideload books that way. At least it's a workaround until you get a new reader that likes EPUB.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Touch screens suck. They do not work for me at all. I can't tap or swipe correctly and never could get the hang of it. That's why I got rid of the Kobo Touch that I had.

I also get fingerprints on an eink screen so a screen protector is a must to make the screen easier to clean.

If you use Calibre, you can convert EPUB to whatever it is Kindles like and sideload books that way. At least it's a workaround until you get a new reader that likes EPUB.
Just because you are unable to use a simple touch screen, is no reason the OP should get a Reader that's may not be suitable.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:58 AM   #12
janzen
janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'janzen knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iLiad
I agree with Hemmi. Touch screens suck.

I recently got a 2nd hand Sony PRS-T1 for cheap and I am very happy with it.
janzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzen View Post
I agree with Hemmi. Touch screens suck.

I recently got a 2nd hand Sony PRS-T1 for cheap and I am very happy with it.
You have a way with words that should get your mouth washed out with soap.

What is are your issues with a touch screen on an eInk device?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

Touch screens do not work well for everyone, hence the necessity of page turn buttons. They are so much more convenient anyway. I have to use a stylus to get a touchscreen to work for me.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There is no necessity for buttons. Buttons are going the way of the Dodo.