Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
DuckFOO
Enthusiast
DuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: None
Default Paragraph Style When Viewing HTML Files

I understand from reading the wiki that the Kindle can display an HTML file if it is renamed with a .txt or .nownow file extension.

Assuming that a well formed plain HTML file with no style information is used, what kind of paragraph formatting is displayed: indent or block paragraphs?
DuckFOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFOO View Post
I understand from reading the wiki that the Kindle can display an HTML file if it is renamed with a .txt or .nownow file extension.

Assuming that a well formed plain HTML file with no style information is used, what kind of paragraph formatting is displayed: indent or block paragraphs?
What happened when you tried it?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
DuckFOO
Enthusiast
DuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and graceDuckFOO herds cats with both ease and grace

I don't have an eInk Kindle and I am trying to decide on getting one (as my eyes are starting to be bothered by backlit displays).

I have a lot of simple .html files I want to add to the device. My understanding is that if I were to use Kindlegen to convert those .html files to .mobi, I would get idented paragraphs. I was curious if it is the same for .html files renamed to .txt.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't have an eInk Kindle and I am trying to decide on getting one (as my eyes are starting to be bothered by backlit displays).

I have a lot of simple .html files I want to add to the device. My understanding is that if I were to use Kindlegen to convert those .html files to .mobi, I would get idented paragraphs. I was curious if it is the same for .html files renamed to .txt.
I just tried it, on a fairly recent firmware version running on an 8th. gen. Kindle (Basic).
No styling, only non-standard thing is the extension is: .txt

Indented paragraphs is what you get with the reader.
(Which is wrong, but there are a lot of things the reader does not get correct.)

I did not check what the stock browser defaults to.

Last edited by knc1; 05-15-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:

If you just convert a plain HTML file to mobi, without styling, you get non-indented, spaced-out paragraphs. This was a terrible choice on Amazon's part: there's a reason printed books aren't typeset like that.

You can fix it by fiddling with CSS text-indent and (IIRC, it's been a while) padding.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
If you just convert a plain HTML file to mobi, without styling, you get non-indented, spaced-out paragraphs. This was a terrible choice on Amazon's part: there's a reason printed books aren't typeset like that.

You can fix it by fiddling with CSS text-indent and (IIRC, it's been a while) padding.
http://www.goer.org/HTML/intermediate/align_and_indent/

I used the top example code, without the {style} ... {/style} section.

Some of the "stock" tests and scripts write css-free HTML rather than plain text (I.E: Amazon/Lab126 does use it their self).
I wrote one add-in report generator that did the same.
And I am here to tell you the hard-coded defaults in the reader are really strange.
I think it is HTML-⅋ version that they wrote the defaults for.
(That is, very broken html)

Last edited by knc1; 05-16-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #7
DuckFOO
Enthusiast

Thanks, Knc1, for checking for me. I appreciate it.

NullNix: I much prefer block paragraphs as I find them to be more readable. But like a lot of things, it comes down to personal preference.