Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Kayam
Kayam began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
Error when opening file with Sigil

Hi everyone, i have created a book using Sigil, now when i try open it i get: Sigil encountered a problem: Please report it on the issue tracker, including the details from this dialog.

Error info: Cannot load file /Users/mbadenhorst......
Throw in function static Qstring
Utility::ReadUnicodeTextFile(const QStrings&Dynamic exeption type:
boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<CannotOpen

etc.etc.

Is this file recoverable?
Kayam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
This is not an audiobooks problem???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Recoverable?
Try the Calibre (book) Editor. See what that does.

Did you use unicode characters in the (internal) file names? Not the best choice for the same reason you see...Not all devices handle non-ASCII gracefully
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil will warn you when trying to include internal file names with non-ascii characters, but it will still let you do it if you insist. I've played around and was able to save/open epubs with some basic latin non-unicode characters in file-names with no trouble, but I didn't get very fancy.

I'd like to believe that Sigil would always be able to open an epub that it successfully created/saved, but wouldn't bet my life on it (I'd probably bet someone else's though ... like that neighbor with the loud car at 2am).

The question should probably be; "what did you do to the epub AFTER you created it with Sigil?"

As far as being "recoverable" ... it's just a zip archive. Unzip it and see if you can salvage the files inside.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-22-2015 at 04:39 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, That error comes from Utility.cpp which uses QFile on a full unicode filepath and tries to open the file at that path. So it should handle all paths representable in unicode. On Linux boxes filepaths are true bytestrings and can actually contain byte sequences that are not valid in unicode. Other than that, it should work on any path properly convertable to unicode.
KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 AM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd like to believe that Sigil would always be able to open an epub that it successfully created/saved, but wouldn't bet my life on it
That's scary!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:53 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
That's scary!
Go ahead and bet your life on it then.

I only mean that if I DID bet my life on it, someone would be motivated to ferret out some weird, crazy loophole-of-an epub that wouldn't open after it was saved/closed. And there I'd be ... with no life left.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I want your life, Notjohn.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote