Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
What format best for hyphenation?

I didn't know whether to post it here or in Calibre thread, but here it is - I've switched from Kobo to Kindle, and wanted to make sure my Polish (and English too) ebooks are hyphenated. I've been doing hyphenation with Hyphenate This! in Calibre for Kobo, but am not sure if that works the same way for Kindles. I'm not that much aware of all formats used in Kindles, does hyphenation work for all the formats then (MOBI, AZW3, I've heard of KFX?) and do I have to upload an ebook to Kindle in a specific format for hyphenation to work?
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why would you use Hyphenate This! for your ePub? Kobo's have hyphenation built-in.

As for format, there's a Calibre plugin to be able to convert to KFX and KFX does hyphenate. If that doesn't work for a specific book, convert to KF8 and use Hyphenate This! Have a look in the Calibre plugin forum to read about the KFX plugin.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-21-2017 at 03:26 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I recommend continuing to use Hyphenate This! in conjunction with the KF8 (azw3) format.

KFX does do hyphenation without you having to add soft hyphens, but it is difficult to work with and only supports specific languages, not including Polish. (English, Chinese, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Malayalam and Tamil)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
Buhaj47
Zealot
Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buhaj47 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra 2
That's cool, thanks.
Buhaj47 is offline   Reply With Quote