Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-28-2017, 02:43 AM   #61
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohreh View Post
Before I dive into Caliber… is there a quick, no-brainer way to get a readable ePUB file?
If you only want to get rid of the unwanted line-breaks and your .pdf file already has a text layer, you could try converting the .pdf with Calibre.

If you enable all Heuristics options (Preferences > Common Options > Heuristic Processing), Calibre will fix most unwanted line-breaks.

However, as Hitch has already pointed out, there is no perfect automated PDF to EPUB converter and you'll most likely have to post-edit the book.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:55 AM   #62
Shohreh
Zealot
Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Shohreh can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
I just tried this, and it seems to work fine when lowering Line un-wrap factor to 0.25.

I understand PDF is a terrible format to use as input, but it's all I have.

Thank you.
Shohreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A decent OCR program, such as "Abbyy FineReader" tends to produce the best results, particularly on documents with more complex formatting. As Hitch says, though, that gets you a "first draft"; it has to be followed by a round of manual proofing and correction.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM   #64
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have scanned a couple of backlist books using Abbyy Finereader, saved to a Word doc. It does a great job, but even 99.9% correct means a lot of typos in a book of 100,000 words (= 500,000 characters x 0.1% = 500). Quite apart from all else, it's a whole lot easier to proof in a Word doc than an epub.

In both books, interestingly, the same error predominated: a lower-case M presented as lower-case RN.

I use Word2CleanHtml dot com to get clean html from the Word docx. There are of course many other ways to do the same, but this is quick and easy and all but flawless. I open the html file in Sigil and go from there.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #65
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I have scanned a couple of backlist books using Abbyy Finereader, saved to a Word doc. It does a great job, but even 99.9% correct means a lot of typos in a book of 100,000 words (= 500,000 characters x 0.1% = 500). Quite apart from all else, it's a whole lot easier to proof in a Word doc than an epub.

The e-Book Tools - a Word add-in has a number of features specifically targeted at cleaning up PDF conversions, it can also create the EPUB, and fire up Sigil after doing so.

If I didn't already have Word I would buy it just so I could use this free add-in.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #66
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

The e-Book Tools - a Word add-in has a number of features specifically targeted at cleaning up PDF conversions, it can also create the EPUB, and fire up Sigil after doing so.

If I didn't already have Word I would buy it just so I could use this free add-in.

BR
Red:

You're right, I should have mentioned Tox'es wonderful addin. It's perfect for this.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote