Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
Skydancer
Enthusiast
Skydancer began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBoot Inkpad 3
InkPad3 won't open this epub file

Hi!
I'm playing with formatting a book in public domain in Sigil. I made an epub3 file and tested it Calibre reader and a few other reader apps and it works fine. It also works OK on my phone in PocketBook Android app, however it won't open on my InkPad3.

I've opened epub3 books on InkPad3 before — I know the device doesn't support epub3, so you loose some formatting, but I'm really curious what's going on in this specific case (see attachment).

Any ideas?

Code:
epubcheck "Fran S. Finžgar - Pod svobodnim soncem.epub" 
Validating using EPUB version 3.2 rules.
No errors or warnings detected.

EPUBCheck completed
Attached Files
File Type: epub Fran S. Finžgar - Pod svobodnim soncem.epub (242.1 KB, 265 views)
Skydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are some obvious problems right away. The NAV ToC is wrong and there is no NCX ToC. Those are the obvious problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
Skydancer
Enthusiast

@JSWolf, thank you!!!

Actually, I found out what was causing the problem — it was CSS:
Code:
margin: 30vh 0 0 0;
It seems some readers don't support the "vh" unit. When I changed it to "em", it opened the file just fine.

Last edited by Skydancer; 03-26-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Good Fran died in 1962 so it is not PD. Try Oton Župančič or Ivan Cankar.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Skydancer
Enthusiast

Haha, good one @najgori.

Actually, it is in public domain. Cited from Wikisource.org: "To delo je v javni lasti, ker so avtorske pravice potekle." (ENG: This work is in public domain because copyright has expired.)

Last edited by Skydancer; 03-27-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
@JSWolf, thank you!!!

Actually, I found out what was causing the problem — it was CSS:
Code:
margin: 30vh 0 0 0;
It seems some readers don't support the "vh" unit. When I changed it to "em", it opened the file just fine.
Glad you found the problem. Don't replace vh with em.replace vh with %. vh is the ePub 3 way of doing % which is not backwards compatible.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:03 AM   #7
Skydancer
Enthusiast

@JSWolf, thanks! I'll keep it in mind.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #8
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
Haha, good one @najgori.

Actually, it is in public domain. Cited from Wikisource.org: "To delo je v javni lasti, ker so avtorske pravice potekle." (ENG: This work is in public domain because copyright has expired.)
All europe is 70 years after authors death copyright law.
Perhaps Fran in his will decided to let his work free of copyright.

Quote:
With the exception of Belarus (Life + 50 years) and Spain (which has a copyright term of Life + 80 years for creators that died before 1987), a work enters the public domain in Europe at the end of the calendar year following 70 years after the creator's death, if it was published during the creator's lifetime. Russia has a 4-year extension to Life+ 70 (in essence Life+74) for authors who worked during World War II in the Soviet Union.[1][2] The list is sorted alphabetically and includes a notable work of the creator that entered the public domain on January 1, 2020.
Quoted from 2020 in public domain
Old 03-30-2020, 02:48 AM   #9
Skydancer
Enthusiast

@najgori, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think most works of Slovenian "classic" authors are in public domain.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:13 AM   #10
najgori
Klak

It's better to check with some agency or publisher (sazor.si comes to mind).
Ivo Andric died 11 years after Fran and all rights are still held by Ivo Andric Foundation.

Tags
epub 3, inkpad3, pocketbook