Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
firefoxxy
Zealot
firefoxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Tolino, Kobo or something else?

Hello!

My old Sony T1 is slowly dying, so now I'm looking for a good substitute. I hope you can help me decide which on would suit my wishes best. I have already picked out two devices but would be open to further suggestions. The two are: Tolino Vision 3HD and Kobo Glo HD (both about the same price, so no difference there).

Here are some things that I liked about my Sony and what I hope for in a new reader:
  • epub: My whole library are epubs, so Kindle isn't really an option because I don't want to convert all my books.
  • size: 6'' with lighting
  • downloading epubs from websites: what it says, mostly from archiveofourown
  • calibre plugboard: I use calibre to tag my books and the plugboard created collections based on the wordcount of the books. I would like to continue using this (or a similar) feature.
  • collections: I used to select the next book I wanted to read by browsing the Sony collections - but that's because I can't tell from the title what the content is - that's why the calibre metadata are important to me, as they appear as collections on my Sony and I can choose based on the book's tags. I'm searching for a reader that offers supports something like that.
  • last read: I had tweaked the Sony to show on the 'frontpage' the books that were recently read instead of those that were added last which was the original setting.

Even better would be an option to see the book's summary without having to actually open the book and look inside. (I heard the Kobo can show the summaries.)

I just got feedback from church mouse that the Tolino doesn't really offer what I want. Instead the Pocketbook (Touch HD, I think) was recommended to me, but at a fist glance it looks a bit 'chunky'. So it seems that the (now discontinued, but still available) Kobo Glo HD is my best choice - or can you recommend something else?
firefoxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I don't know about Tolino but, aside of downloading epub from websites (that I don't know if it can be done), all the other ones are available with Kobo. Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura (found at 50$ at eBay) or Kobo Aura 2 is up to you. I'm very happy with Kobo Aura, although the resolution is smaller than Glo HD (I don't catch it, but others say the difference is quite evident).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't know about Tolino but, aside of downloading epub from websites (that I don't know if it can be done), all the other ones are available with Kobo. Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura (found at 50$ at eBay) or Kobo Aura 2 is up to you. I'm very happy with Kobo Aura, although the resolution is smaller than Glo HD (I don't catch it, but others say the difference is quite evident).
I've done it once on my kobo glo with project Gutenberg so it can be done. Though I've never tried with that website. Is it to download fanfics?

I could use a couple more lol
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@firefoxxy: Your requirements scream "I want a Kobo ereader". epub support (among others), browser can download supported formats, plugboard support, collections from calibre, homepage shows most recent (plus library has good filters and sorting) and the details for the book can be shown from the library list.

For a 6" device, if you can find a Glo HD, that's the way to go. The recently released Aura Edition 2 appears OK, but they dropped the resolution back to 1024*768.

I can't comment on the alternatives as I have never seen them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #5
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I second the recommendation for the Glo HD -- I just got a secondhand one and the frontlight and the screen are just perfect. Opening it and changing the internal microSD for a larger one, if needed, is also surprisingly easy.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Get a Glow HD while you still can. Kobo's replacement model is totally inferior and nowhere near as good value.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't know about Tolino but, aside of downloading epub from websites (that I don't know if it can be done),
I have downloaded epubs, using the Kobo browser, from Project Gutenberg and the Calibre content server without incident. I haven't tried AO3 but unless there's something very odd about it it should work.

And I have to third-fourth-fifth (whatever we're up to) the rec for the Glo HD. Unless you're willing to look to 6.8 inches, in which case the H2O would also be perfect for your needs, with the added plus of waterproofing.

Last edited by meeera; 12-01-2016 at 01:42 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I have downloaded epubs, using the Kobo browser, from Project Gutenberg and the Calibre content server without incident. I haven't tried AO3 but unless there's something very odd about it it should work.
Update: I just downloaded an AO3 epub with the Kobo browser - it worked perfectly.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #9
firefoxxy
Zealot

@Silverty: yes, Archiveofourown is exactly for that: fanfiction! And meeera kindly tested it - it works!

So, thank you all for your answers. I'll go and buy the Kobo Glo HD.

Can't wait to see if you glowing praise will match my now very high expectations
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxxy View Post
@Silverty: yes, Archiveofourown is exactly for that: fanfiction! And meeera kindly tested it - it works!

Can't wait to see if you glowing praise will match my now very high expectations
No device is perfect, so it's best not to have tooo high expectations - but for the features you want, this is definitely a good fit.

Have a peek through the sticky thread on managing Kobo shelves (collections) with Calibre - you could start doing a bit of setup if you have a wait for the device. There's also a Kobo tweaks & hacks thread. I'd recommend trying the stock firmware first for a while, then looking through that to see if any of the fine-tuning might be of interest.

Last edited by meeera; 12-01-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does it have to be 6"? If not, the 6.8" Kobo Aura H2O would do you well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Even better would be an option to see the book's summary without having to actually open the book and look inside. (I heard the Kobo can show the summaries.)
Apologies, I forgot to address this part. Yes, you can view the summaries without opening the book. Go to the library, long press on the book, and you have a "View Details" option. Screen photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3440.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	153336   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3441.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	153337  
Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:

I have a feeling any Kobo will make you quite happy! I know mine has.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
firefoxxy
Zealot

@JSWolf, yes the size does matter. In my case I really want the smaller one. And since the Glo HDs seem to disappear really fast I already ordered one. Now I'll have to wait almost until Christmas for it to arrive... (no idea where they're shipping from)

@meeera: I know that I cannot have a perfect device, but the opinions offered tell me that it might be better than I envisioned before cominge here to ask for advice. And thank you for the screenshots. This feature makes me sooo happy And I'll be sure to have a look at the threads you mentioned (I have plenty of time now).

@Silverty, yes, I have the feeling I'll like the Kobo even better than my Sony.

Thank you all!
Old 12-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
@Silverty, yes, I have the feeling I'll like the Kobo even better than my Sony.

Thank you all!
Yes, you will like the Glo HD better than the T1. Front light, Carta screen, high-resolution, side load your own fonts, many more font sizes, faster and more. It's just an overall better device.

Once you've installed the latest 3.19 firmware and any of the patches you want, also install this hyphenation dictionary as it will give you better hyphens for English. It's what I am using and it works well.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252405
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote