Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-18-2016, 12:20 AM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I have a flaky touchscreen too, on a PW3. Sometimes it works for awhile, but often not. Sometimes pressing the power button off/on makes it work again for awhile. But then it becomes unresponsive again. Not sure what to do about it, so I leave it in USBnet mode so I can still use it for testing and development.

Also, a thread like this may get more technical assistance in the Kindle Developers Corner. Though you are not supposed to double post, so better to ask a moderator to move your thread...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
vladacr
vladacr began at the beginning.

Device: android
My Paperwhite shows exactly the same symptoms. Has never been dropped, from day 1 in original case, cared for like a baby.

In my case, the home button works as well as a approx 1 cm column of the screen right under the home icon.

After 3 years, the touchscreen seems to be dead. Well done, Amazon. If you think I'll buy another Kindle, you're wrong.
vladacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #18
redhen
redhen began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
I have the same problem after doing theDO_FACTORY_RESTORE file and doing a reset. It now show the language selection screen and because it is not responsive to the touch I am now stuck with the language selection page. I suspect that this happened recently after it auto upgrade the firmware. I am beginning to suspect that this is a deliberate act by Kindle to make us buy/upgrade a new one. Any one out here having the same problem? TIA
redhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #19
DJ38
DJ38 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voage 7
Amazon fix I wonder?

I have had the same problem with my Kindle, in fact it's always been difficult to get it to work from new. The problem began only after reading the first book and so I thought it was just me. It's unresponsive, it just seems to have gone worse, so I tried removing all the books - just the same. It's impossible to get into settings or home page but you can still select a book as it always seems to open on the library page. It will open a book and let you read it perfectly well, but at the end of the book it locks up solid and only messing about and resetting it eventually gets you back to the library page. So you can just remove the book, add a new one via the USB from your PC and read it, forget about the menu bar it never responds to it.

Very odd to me that it refuses to let you into settings or any of the top menu's. I have done the manual factory reset (as you can't get into settings and also doing the 40 seconds on the power button never resets it) save a blank .txt file in the route directory named " DO_FACTORY_RESTORE " remove the .txt then hold the power button for 40 seconds.

I wondered if this was a built in "time out" so they force you to buy a new one and so decided not to let it connect to wi-fi but of course, they stop you using it unless you first register via wi-fi. I have now done the full manual factory reset and it updated the software itself but still the menu's are unresponsive.

I purchased a new Kindle for myself as this was / is my partners. I noticed my brand new Kindle also became unresponsive at the end of the first book. These things are really terrible, it doesn't make sense as Amazon make money from selling the books, so why would they stop us from using them, they must make more money on book sales in the life of the device from most users.

I didn't want to buy a kindle for myself but there's only the KOBO and only just noticed a model priced just over £100. We need somebody to make a decent eReader so we can forget Amazon, shame, as it was such a good idea!
DJ38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #20
syracusa
syracusa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I repaired the third today with the same error. The problem always was at the end of the flexi PCB of the touch layer: a very small burn or deficiency on one of five or six wire ends (in the middle, maybe the third wire as I remember) where the connector's blade lock on it. Sometimes enough if I cut off from the PCB's end cca. 2-3mm. It's straight and remain long enough for the connection. If not, must be wiring. After that, a hard reset necessary or the touch controller will remain off.
syracusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #21
DJ38
DJ38 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voage 7
Repair of no responsive Kindle

Hi syracusa

Thanks for your update. Sounds as if there's a common problem on the connector, which is probably not the most relaible type anyway. I know the kind you mean, the wire ends from the ribbon are clamped against the PCB.

I haven't tried to open the case as couldn't see an easy way of opening it without causing damage to the case. As our Kindle still lets us read one book (then remove the book via USB and add next book you want to read, reset to get to the home page and select the recent book added) I have been using it like that.

It would be very helpful if you could perhaps put a little guide on opening the case without breaking it and perhaps a few photo's would be really good (if you have time).

Whatever, thanks for sharing your findings with us, it's appreciated.
Best wishes, Dave.
DJ38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
IF you can get to Home Screen>Settings>Device Options>Restart.Yes
After restart device should work as normal.
I was trying to read a comic a pop up asked if I wanted Touchscreen turned off.... dumb me I said yes! hour later I managed to get it back to home screen followed the posted .... it was fine.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:35 AM   #23
syracusa

At home, a short piece of a cutter blade is perfect. Just hold it parallel with the frame and gently push it down. Then you can lift up the corner of the frame. I use a sharp plastic card, it's a bit safer. It's easier if the device is warm, so you can use a hairdryer, but from a distance, 40C is enough because the overwarmed LCD-foil (the upper layer) is very thin and will be damaged.
The secret trick is a few drops of denatured alcohol to the gap. It's neutral and disappears quickly, but temporarily disconnects the adhesive from the plastic. So it is much easier to lift the frame.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 AM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Amazon isn't like Microsoft, you don't have only so many uses of the kindle before it stops working unless you register it, unlike Microsoft Word.

I would advise against prying the kindle open, instead contact Amazon. If you bought the kindle new, send it back for a replacement. Opening it will void the guarantee.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #25
syracusa

One thing: by the "same error" I mean a completely inoperable touch screen as the original topic description.
I've never seen an error like yours, especially not two in one household. And I'm sure it's not a hardware fault. Maybe firmware/software, but twice...? If it is used from usb then maybe there is some conversion error or similar in your books. I've seen some like this, a bad book file can make interesting things. I can't imagine anything else at this time.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #26
ChronosHD
ChronosHD began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hi Guys,

I´m in the same shoe, 7 years old Kindle PW1, perfectly works, except the touchscreen. When it works, its flawless, but often it does not register touches. I´ve get it apart and there is no physical damage, like broken ribbon or blackened connector. I´ve tried to move ribbons a bit, but no effect. I have the impression that touching the edges had effect, but nothing consistent. After jailbraking I see messages like
Code:
i2c-adapter i2c-1: E mxc_i2c_wait_for_tc:tx_success_fail::ACK not received
Do you know if this has anything to do with the touchscreen controller?

I´m thinking of installing kindle-untouchable so we can still use it, I do not like the idea of throwing out.

Are there better workarounds?

/Chronos
ChronosHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #27
eleen
eleen began at the beginning.

Device: boox
I am having the same frustrating issue with my PW1. I got lucky yesterday when the screen worked for a minute. Afterwhich, it is back to the unresponsive screen, the device is working fine, just the screen is not cooperating... This morning, I tried to install the 5.6.1.1 update again. Still no luck with the screen...

I'm not sure if I should try the factory reset and get it stuck at the language screen. Has anyone tried the "untouchable" method like someone mentioned?
eleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #28
staneck
staneck began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
PW3 Kindle PaperWhite issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I have a flaky touchscreen too, on a PW3. Sometimes it works for awhile, but often not. Sometimes pressing the power button off/on makes it work again for awhile. But then it becomes unresponsive again. Not sure what to do about it, so I leave it in USBnet mode so I can still use it for testing and development.

Also, a thread like this may get more technical assistance in the Kindle Developers Corner. Though you are not supposed to double post, so better to ask a moderator to move your thread...
Guys, have same issue. Screen becomes unresponsive after a small time of using then turn off/on the screen button cures it and after a while it stops response again.

Did someone with such problem solve it? Here there are many people with same issue...

Some guys from another forum advised to try magnet - to rennovate sensor's contacts. I'll try to do that and keep you informed...

Thanks in advance!
staneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:28 AM   #29
appu123
appu123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
unresponsive screen ..need some guidance

hi,
My new kindle paper white worked perfect for 4 months and one fine day the touchscreen froze.. i tried restarting multiple times , factory reset option connecting to desktop with USB.. but nothing works ..is there any other way ..it opens up the homepage and that's it ..when I try to reset , it responds with option which I can't choose as the screen is frozen..any help will be appreciated.
appu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #30
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I have a Voyage that hs started not to register touches in the top left region of the screen. The rest is fine, but that's top left section covers the Home, Back and Settings sections which makes it very hard to navigate around.

If you can get into a book then you can read it just fine, as long as you don't want to change the light or font.

Any ideas on how to fix that?
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote