Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #31
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
One problem: real estate. I am not sure where one would put the box. Perhaps I could make the current search area do double duty. Needs thought.
How about put both on the same line with and arrow at the right side of the drawer to switch between them.

This keeps both easily accessible without taking more space, and it is only an issue if a user is actively changing both.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #32
comox
Enthusiast
comox began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tried to write up the examples assuming a "starts with" match on the assumption this might be simplest to understand and implement. But anchors or some other method of specifying an optional "contains" search could save some typing.

With regard to real estate, I am on a small Galaxy SIII and I thought using one more line below the existing search box would still leave enough for the tag browser, at least in portrait orientation.

Thanks for considering this idea.
comox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #33
nikoski
Zealot
nikoski began at the beginning.

ON CC/settings/hierarchcal groups i see only 1 group possible to select: "Tags (tags)"

Why no other groups like "series" appear and can be selected?
nikoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #34
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoski View Post
ON CC/settings/hierarchcal groups i see only 1 group possible to select: "Tags (tags)"

Why no other groups like "series" appear and can be selected?
To be selectable as hierarchical the group must appear in the grouping drawer. If you have hierarchical custom columns such as genre you must first add the column to the grouping drawer.

The reason that series does not appear in the "hierarchical" list is that no one has ever asked for it and it never occurred to me to add it anyway. I will add "Series" to CC's list. The change will appear in the next release, which will probably be in April.

I don't see any need to allow the other standard fields (Authors, Publishers) to be hierarchical.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #35
nikoski
Zealot

Thanks, chaley, ok, i see. That's why my custom column "genre" did not appear either (because not added to the groups).

But "Series" do appear in the groups drawer, did not know it'd have to be added to the selectable list additionally. "Series"-hierachy could be useful as a structure for magazines:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=2
Advert
Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
To be selectable as hierarchical the group must appear in the grouping drawer. If you have hierarchical custom columns such as genre you must first add the column to the grouping drawer.

The reason that series does not appear in the "hierarchical" list is that no one has ever asked for it and it never occurred to me to add it anyway. I will add "Series" to CC's list. The change will appear in the next release, which will probably be in April.

I don't see any need to allow the other standard fields (Authors, Publishers) to be hierarchical.
OMG
It never crossed my mind that I needed to ask for Series

I was going to suggest a use it for Publisher (which is a total hodge-podge, )

Parent.Imprint
except it is lots worse and I see no automated way clean as the metadata sources are of a similar mess which gets further messed because the e-publisher does not always mention the original (paper) publisher

Berkley Prime Crime a division of Simon and Schuster
others have now been gobbled into a Mega-parent which compounds the 'how do I log the before and after merger imprint?'

I am now using 'publisher' for Imprint (sans parent and noise words)

Avon for Avon Books
No LLC, No Corp ...
Severely filtered use of Pub., Books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #37
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
OK, I will make Publisher a possible hierarchical column as well.

How about Rating or Title?
Old 03-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

How about Rating or Title?
Does Calibre already support this on any text column?

Series splinter, which is why I use it there
pern
pern.harper_hall
pern.dragonriders
pern.renegades of

Is there a way in Calibre to count just the number of (parent) hierarchical items?

How many series have children
how many tags have children
Old 03-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #39
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Does Calibre already support this on any text column?
No. The columns 'authors', 'publisher', 'news', and 'formats' are specifically excluded.
Quote:
Series splinter, which is why I use it there
pern
pern.harper_hall
pern.dragonriders
pern.renegades of
Makes sense, although it opens the door for wanting to process the hierarchy in a template.
Quote:

Is there a way in Calibre to count just the number of (parent) hierarchical items?

How many series have children
how many tags have children
I can't think of any way built into calibre. If I understand the question you want to process the database looking for books that have an item with a hierarchy, make note of the topmost level, then count how many you have at the end. You would need a script to do that.

You can get close with series by creating a VL of books with a series containing a period (series:.). The tag browser will show only the hierarchical series. Unfortunately this scheme doesn't work for tags because the tag browser will show the hierarchical tags plus all the other tags in the books.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #40
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Now that I note that publisher cannot be made hierarchical in calibre, I am going back to my original position. I won't make it hierarchical in CC.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Makes sense, although it opens the door for wanting to process the hierarchy in a template.
I modified one you did for me years ago
I get a Pern series that contains:
books in the Parent
Folders for the children (1 layer only)
Code:
save_template = u'program:test(field(\'series\'),strcat(\nsubstr(field(\'series\'), 0, 1),template("-series/{series:subitems(0,1)||/}{series:subitems(1,2)||/}{series_index:0>5.2f}-{title}_{authors}_{id}")\n),template("00noseries/{author_sort[0]}_authors/{author_sort}/{title}-{authors}_{id}")\n)'
Old 03-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #42
nikoski
Zealot

Somethin does not seem to work:

I gave "Tags" checked in CC as a hierarchical group. In Calibre under the category "Tags"
i see the tag "xxx.yyy" as a hierarchical tag: yyy inside of the xxx

But after sync in CC it appears as a flat tag: xxx.yyy

What am i doing wrong?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #43
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Somethin does not seem to work:

I gave "Tags" checked in CC as a hierarchical group. In Calibre under the category "Tags"
i see the tag "xxx.yyy" as a hierarchical tag: yyy inside of the xxx

But after sync in CC it appears as a flat tag: xxx.yyy

What am i doing wrong?
Have you checked the "first letter" box?

Note that the hierarchy in CC is one level. You see the first level in the first-letter display, then the rest of the levels a flat tag if you tap on the first level.

It looks something like the images in this post.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #44
nikoski
Zealot

@chaley: no, nothing is checked under "choose groups that show first letter"
Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@chaley: no, nothing is checked under "choose groups that show first letter"
I wasn't clear. You need to check the first letter box, as shown in this image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	135870