Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #76
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by abscons View Post
Hi,

I'm a happy french owner of the Sony DPT-S1 ereader. I just recieve it from shopereader.
For those who are interested, it is possible.
Hello, that's interesting. Could you tell us what additional fees and customs you had to pay on top of the price which you had to pay at the shop?

Oh, and perhaps this has been mentioned, but could anyone cite a definite resolution (dpi) of the DPT-S1?

Hm, I get a 150 dpi from a resolution of 1600x1200 - seems a bit low? The Kindle Voyage has 300?

Last edited by ManDay; 11-05-2014 at 12:36 PM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:10 AM   #77
T.W.G
Connoisseur
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
Did you buy it from here?
http://www.shopereaders.com/mobile/P...de=Sony-DPT-S1

They ask 500 dollar more than sony... Wow!
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #78
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
iI mean, I like Sony stuff, always have, but they are potty, really .....
Went on the UK site, just out of interest/curiosity, put Sony DPT-S1no into the search box .... and nothing.

Not even a link to the wrong thing, which would not have surprised me ......

I have never understood why they're so good at producing decent, innovative stuff, but haven't a clue about marketing, or the market, come to that ....

And I speak from experience of being an "advisor" on their e-readers forum ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #79
smileman
smileman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Has anyone figured out how to sync handwritten notes taken on the Digital Paper with their Box folder?

It appears that only my annotated PDFs are syncing to Box.

Last edited by smileman; 11-09-2014 at 03:20 AM.
smileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #80
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
iI mean, I like Sony stuff, always have, but they are potty, really .....
Went on the UK site, just out of interest/curiosity, put Sony DPT-S1no into the search box .... and nothing.

Not even a link to the wrong thing, which would not have surprised me ......

I have never understood why they're so good at producing decent, innovative stuff, but haven't a clue about marketing, or the market, come to that ....

And I speak from experience of being an "advisor" on their e-readers forum ....
I'm getting a similar impression here. I've first talked to Sales UK who just said they couldn't make any statements about the availability in Germany and referred me to Sales DE. Whom I have contacted with the matter of purchasing a couple of these units two weeks ago. No reply ever since (despite their "We will respond to you within 24 hours" slogan). So two weeks later I called the German Sales Service, to the sole effect of being told they have absolutely no idea about anything and I should rather contact their "Professional" department (i.e. for companies etc.). So we contacted them and again, no reply (let alone within the promised 24 hours). I frankly don't expect to hear from them anytime soon. It's kind of silly, really.
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #81
coljac
coljac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Status on firmware and Japanese version

Hi there,

I'm in Australia and hanging out to get one of these. I've been waiting for it to fall below $1000 AUD (which, apart from the psychological barrier, is also the point at which import duties are levied).

Unfortunately the AUD isn't doing so well, so I might be waiting a while. However, the Japanese Yen hasn't been going so hot either and it looks like the Japanese version is now cheaper than $999 USD. Can anyone comment on how easy it is to use, and whether there is any hope of being able to install an English firmware on it?
coljac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #82
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
I'm getting a similar impression here. I've first talked to Sales UK who just said they couldn't make any statements about the availability in Germany and referred me to Sales DE. Whom I have contacted with the matter of purchasing a couple of these units two weeks ago. No reply ever since (despite their "We will respond to you within 24 hours" slogan). So two weeks later I called the German Sales Service, to the sole effect of being told they have absolutely no idea about anything and I should rather contact their "Professional" department (i.e. for companies etc.). So we contacted them and again, no reply (let alone within the promised 24 hours). I frankly don't expect to hear from them anytime soon. It's kind of silly, really.
Exactly - that is what I find really hard to understand - their strategy (and this is simply one of many in the past) is just that.... silly !
There seems little or no joined-up thinking, no knowledge of most markets they work in, and even less proof that they care - all too much for me I'm afraid.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #83
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Exactly - that is what I find really hard to understand - their strategy (and this is simply one of many in the past) is just that.... silly !
There seems little or no joined-up thinking, no knowledge of most markets they work in, and even less proof that they care - all too much for me I'm afraid.
I'm not convinced this is true. What if $1000 is a reasonable price given the cost of production? We've seen many members here who were salivating for just such a device, but don't buy one because of the price. Perhaps it's just too expensive and too narrowly focused at this time for the consumer market, and Sony recognizes that.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #84
carpetmojo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm not convinced this is true. What if $1000 is a reasonable price given the cost of production? We've seen many members here who were salivating for just such a device, but don't buy one because of the price. Perhaps it's just too expensive and too narrowly focused at this time for the consumer market, and Sony recognizes that.
If you read my post through, you'll see I'm not saying anything about the price - which of course, as usual, will be cheaper Stateside - and simply pricing things too high is, as Sony fans will know, always errs on the side of stretching pockets and wallets ! (Should it ever be sold here, that si ....)
It may well represent a fair sum for all you get.... but it has been Sony's Achilles Heel in the past. The T3 is the perfect example .... never a good idea to set it too high and have to reduce it, or not sell it in the biggest market there is ....
(Heaven forbid they should ever sell a lot of the things and make them popular ! )

No, it is their apparent attitude towards possible and present customers; their policy on choosing, and limiting, target markets; almost forgetting a good PR policy helps ; forgetting that the next person trying to get sense out of them might want to order 50 of the devices .... it goes on.
And don't forget I'm a big Sony fan and user, and have experienced some "insider" contact.

As the other contributor found, they're just like amateurs ....

It's simply no way to run a business, of any size .......
Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #85
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Hey,

So does anyone know where I can buy the English version of the Sony DPT-S1 in Europe, or even Germany?

A french dude wrote he bought it from shopereaders.com which is crazy expensive (1500 USD) and ships from Canada. With import taxes and shipping it would nearly cost 2000 Euro to import..

Is there anyone here from Europe or Germany who has bought this Reader from Europe or Overseas?

Luckily I have got the Hanvon E920 with 200 DPI about a year ago
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #86
tshare
tshare began at the beginning.

Device: HP iPaq 4700
Access Evernote from Sony Digital Paper System?

Can one access Evernote and download PDFs using the Sony Digital Paper System?
tshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #87
md02439
Enthusiast
md02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheesemd02439 can extract oil from cheese

Device: M92 black
There is one unit for sale on eBay.de if anyone is interested.

Dimitris
md02439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #88
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Hey,

So does anyone know where I can buy the English version of the Sony DPT-S1 in Europe, or even Germany?

A french dude wrote he bought it from shopereaders.com which is crazy expensive (1500 USD) and ships from Canada. With import taxes and shipping it would nearly cost 2000 Euro to import..

Is there anyone here from Europe or Germany who has bought this Reader from Europe or Overseas?

Luckily I have got the Hanvon E920 with 200 DPI about a year ago
Since Sony (or what I could reach of them) has proven practically impossible to talk to or with, I, too have considered buying the devices in the US and forwarding them to Germany by one of the many shipping services.

I've not found any conclusive answer to the question of customs and taxes for imports from the US into the EU and particularly Germany - mostly because I couldn't figure out the correct TARIC. Can anyone help with making a precises estimate of what additional fees would to be expected?

Re the one on ebay. Yes, "only" 1600 Euro. As if the stock price wasn't high enough, these prices are outspokenly ridiculuous.

Last edited by ManDay; 11-18-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #89
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
Can anyone help with making a precises estimate of what additional fees would to be expected?

Re the one on ebay. Yes, "only" 1600 Euro. As if the stock price wasn't high enough, these prices are outspokenly ridiculuous.
I have imported twice (once from South Korea and once from China) and I can give you a very simple answer. The import tax (19 % Einfuhrumsatzsteuer auf Warenwert + Versandkosten) is 19 percent! Doesn't matter where you import it from aslong it is outside the EU.. And theres no way to get past the zoll!

That is insane, are you ready to pay such a ridicilous premium? Even 1k would be stretching it for me, but I wouldn't pay 2k.. Id rather get a nice new Notebook with touchscreen or somth xD
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #90
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Sony devices just quite a bit outdated compare to other giant companies.
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf