Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Running CC(bought, latest legal) on Kindle Fire HD 8.9.

I would like to be able to auto-launch Read from CC, and it works for Mobi, but not for AZW3. Nearly all my books these days are AZW3. I know my Kindle Fire knows how to open an AZW3, but I just get the annoying "if you think you have an app, click the FAQ" button when I try to read them from inside CC.

I've moved the default location for CC books to the Kindle's Books folder. So at least now I can read the books, but it would be good to be able to autolaunch from CC. Am I missing something? Or is this a feature request?

(note: autolaunch works fine for .mobi books. But very few of my books are .mobi any more. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #32
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Running CC(bought, latest legal) on Kindle Fire HD 8.9.

I would like to be able to auto-launch Read from CC, and it works for Mobi, but not for AZW3. Nearly all my books these days are AZW3. I know my Kindle Fire knows how to open an AZW3, but I just get the annoying "if you think you have an app, click the FAQ" button when I try to read them from inside CC.

I've moved the default location for CC books to the Kindle's Books folder. So at least now I can read the books, but it would be good to be able to autolaunch from CC. Am I missing something? Or is this a feature request?
It is supposed to work.

CC does the following if the book's extension is any of mobi, prc, azw, azw1, azw3, or azw4:
  • Get the folder that books of that fornat are stored in.
  • Compare that folder to "(internal memory path)/kindle/". If equal, offer the amazon app. Otherwise
  • Compare that folder to "(internal memory path)/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/". If equal, offer the amazon app. Otherwise
  • Offer only apps that respond to the "Can you handle" broadcast
What path are you using for the books (CC's folder)?

Note that the above two paths were discovered by trial and error using the K4A app. It is possible that the native Fire app uses different paths, in which case we need to make CC aware of that. It confuses me a bit that mobi works, because that implies that they are in one of the known folders. Alternatively they are not but the native Amazon app is responding to the broadcast, which would be a surprise to us.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #33
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm putting the .azw3 files in <internal storage>/Books. When I do that, they show as expected in the listing of my books in the main Kindle Books interface, just like a book I've downloaded from Amazon directly. But I can't actually see where Amazon puts books it downloads. If I use the file explorer app to navigate to the folder and open the .azw3 file, it doesn't know what to do with it. But if I do the same with a .mobi file, it opens the Kindle reading app. Note that when I use Calibre to sideload an azw3, it puts it in the same folder.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #34
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm putting the .azw3 files in <internal storage>/Books. When I do that, they show as expected in the listing of my books in the main Kindle Books interface, just like a book I've downloaded from Amazon directly. But I can't actually see where Amazon puts books it downloads. If I use the file explorer app to navigate to the folder and open the .azw3 file, it doesn't know what to do with it. But if I do the same with a .mobi file, it opens the Kindle reading app. Note that when I use Calibre to sideload an azw3, it puts it in the same folder.
I now understand why it behaves as it does. The file manager experiment demonstrates that the native reading app is advertizing that it can handle mobi, so CC can start it up in the normal way. It is not advertizing azw3, so CC cannot. And you aren't using one of the what we thought were the normal folders, so CC doesn't do anything special to attempt to trick the reader app into handling the book.

Are you saying that if the folder is not /Books/ then the books do not show up in the main interface? In particular, what happens if you copy one of those books into "<internal storage>/Kindle/"? If the book is there then CC will try to launch the kindle reading app. I have a gut feeling that the reading app will show books no matter where they are, but I most certainly don't know that. If it does, you can tell calibre to put books wherever you wish but connecting then right-clicking the device icon and choosing "Configure this device".

The guessing game we have been playing with Amazon equipment is annoying. It always has been, but now that Amazon allows CC sales it is has passed a threshold. We are putting an end to it and buying a Fire HD.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)

If I move a book to /kindle, it is still seen by the native Books interface, and launched from there. BUT, if I use the file explorer to open it, it still complains that it doesn't know what kind of file it is.

As I said, where Calibre is putting books is a non-issue. It works fine on its own when sideloading over a cable. It's only when it's putting books on with CC that there's an issue. The default folders for CC are a non-starter, they are seen by CC but not by anything else. Moving the folders for CC to /Books seems to be the best solution, but nothing seems to currently allow CC to autolaunch the reading app. Somewhere there's a piece missing.

IAC, I'm glad to think that my small purchase helps towards moving this forward. I like CC, and really like not having to plug and unplug my Fire any more than absolutely required. The micro-USB is a weak link for all devices that use it.
Advert
Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #36
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

If you move CCs folder to /kindle then CC should auto launch the reading app for all the amazon extensions, assuming that the internal name of that app is the same as in non amazon devices.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Moved the folder for .azw3 to /mnt/sdcard/Kindle, and it no longer gives me an error message when I touch Read, but it also doesn't launch the reading app.

If I have a .mobi, it doesn't matter where it is, though it makes more sense to use /mnt/sdcard/Books than the /Kindle folder.

For the moment, I think I'll just tell CC to only do .mobi. I'm assuming that Calibre will honour that and do an autoconvert?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #38
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I was afraid that the native reading app has a different internal name. Looks like you just confirmed it. I hope to be able to work through what it's happening when our fire arrives next week.

Yes, calibre should auto convert. However, you might be happier converting to epub and using an alternate reader app. My experience is that azw3 conveys very well to epub, keeping the formatting. On the other hand, if you are using features of the native app such as syncing, then to the dustbin with this idea.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Unfortunately, finding an epub app means going outside the Kindle store. Amazon won't let me buy any of the usual ones. "Not compatible" -- which we both know is horsepucky. I can get one, but only by going to some place like 1Mobile or GetJar. And I've become somewhat leery of them. If I had another Android device, I could get one of the better reading apps for it from the Amazon store, and sideload.

Most of my books are bought from Amazon in the first place, but a fair number come from some other source -- public library, Project Gutenberg Canada, or Kobo. Those all come in epub format and are converted. And the thing is, all my books go through Calibre first, passing through the Tools on their way in. So yeah, formatting from azw3 or epub to mobi can be annoying, but honestly, it does it fairly well in most cases.

On Kindle Fires -- The base HD is different than the 8.9HD and than either of the HDX models. Some apps are officially approved for the base HD that are not approved for the 8.9 model, or the HDX. Not sure what that means, but I know my DW's HDX has a different file structure for <internal storage> than my HD. But the layer after that is all the same.

I look forward to seeing what comes out of your now having a Fire. And I'll be glad to test something if you need me to. Just ping me here, or PM me.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #40
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
On Kindle Fires -- The base HD is different than the 8.9HD and than either of the HDX models. Some apps are officially approved for the base HD that are not approved for the 8.9 model, or the HDX. Not sure what that means, but I know my DW's HDX has a different file structure for <internal storage> than my HD. But the layer after that is all the same.
I was planning on getting the 8.9 hd, not the hdx. Do you think that is the wrong thing to do? I need to cover as many of their devices as possible with one purchase.
Quote:
I look forward to seeing what comes out of your now having a Fire. And I'll be glad to test something if you need me to. Just ping me here, or PM me.
Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #41
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The 8.9HD is a good device. The HDX is the newer device, but honestly, I don't know that it would make much difference which you choose. Both will be around for a while. And so far as I can tell, the parts of the HD and HDX that are normally visible are the same. But if you get the HDX, you're on the front of their current list of devices. My suspicion is that whichever you buy, if you get it to work on one, it will work on the others.

If I were buying one to _use_ on a regular basis, and I expected to read books on it, I'd buy the HDX. Better resolution, and it's lighter. OTOH, if your buying strictly to have a test platform, save a few bucks and get the HD. It should do the trick. (Oh, but the HDX is so much shinier and newer.) I admit, I lust after my wife's HDX. But I can hardly justify it - I have the HD, a PaperWhite, and an old KK. The only thing that would get me to buy a new one is some feature I couldn't live without, or a flexible screen.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #42
saxondawg
Connoisseur
saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!saxondawg is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: kindle paperwhite
I got a new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 two days ago, then bought Calibre Companion today. It works like a charm. Of course, I had to stop and figure out exactly what it was and wasn't, as I think some people fail to do. It was important to understand why there was a wireless device function and why there was a content server function. Pretty soon I was sending books from Calibre AND alternatively uploading from the app. This is really wonderful--finally I can use the functionality of Calibre on a reading device. It might even cause me to start reading on my Fire rather than my Paperwhite, which I generally prefer because of eInk. Or at least I can browse my library in bed with the Fire, choose a book there, then go to the Paperwhite to read it. I really appreciate the ever-expanding world of Calibre, and think this app is underpriced if anything.
saxondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #43
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Unfortunately, finding an epub app means going outside the Kindle store. Amazon won't let me buy any of the usual ones.
Try the free kobo app. Use this to get the installer from google play store:
http://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

You can get any of the free reader apps via that & they all work on HDX,

I cant yet figure out how to legally get a paid-for reader app from google store onto HDX but as I like Kobo app that' no big deal.

as the other post says , it sis so light, and has such goo
d screen quality that is makes an excellent - though expensive- ereader.
the only reason I don't also have CC already is that I want to be able to fetch a book when in bed & my PC is off then, so I am doing it the more complicated way via drop box 7 ES explorer( two more apps that you have to fetch from the google store because amazon won't give you copies)
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 AM   #44
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
the only reason I don't also have CC already is that I want to be able to fetch a book when in bed & my PC is off then, so I am doing it the more complicated way via drop box 7 ES explorer( two more apps that you have to fetch from the google store because amazon won't give you copies)
I use CC and never have to have my computer on to fetch a book since all my books are on my tablet. Since you choose to go the Dropbox route you might give Calibre Cloud a try, a nice interface and search.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondawg View Post
I got a new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 two days ago, then bought Calibre Companion today. It works like a charm. Of course, I had to stop and figure out exactly what it was and wasn't, as I think some people fail to do. It was important to understand why there was a wireless device function and why there was a content server function. Pretty soon I was sending books from Calibre AND alternatively uploading from the app. This is really wonderful--finally I can use the functionality of Calibre on a reading device. It might even cause me to start reading on my Fire rather than my Paperwhite, which I generally prefer because of eInk. Or at least I can browse my library in bed with the Fire, choose a book there, then go to the Paperwhite to read it. I really appreciate the ever-expanding world of Calibre, and think this app is underpriced if anything.
Thanks for the feedback.

We have ordered an HD so we can better support the kindle line. Once it arrives next week I get the chance to discover all the ways that Amazon's Android is different from Google's (the Nexus line). What fun.