Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
akira28
Nameless Being

Thanks to all the contributors here. I decided to actually buy a used one. Unfortunately the transaction did not work out. But based on my short time with it here are my findings which may be interesting in this world dominated by e-inkers:

Design
The first thing you notice is the build quality. Some people might call this the weight. It is quite frankly built like a tank. That is good, btw. That means is meant to last. It is designed to be extremely comfortable in the hand with its rounded back, much more so than any device I have held. The buttons are perfect where they are. The back is covered in rubber.

Screen
The screen was rather a surprise at first. I was not expecting a dot matrix screen - perhaps I should have done more research. You can see each pixel here. No antialiasing (not too much a concern to me). I had thought that the screen might be like a standard monochromatic LCD but it wasn't. Using it where I did, inside and not in the sunlight, I continuously used the built-in light, which, btw is fantastic. The light is uniform and not glaring. No this isn't one of today's "paper-like" screens that overzealous e-ink makers boast about. This is retro - a reminder of where we came from. The print can not be seen from all angles but, honestly, who reads holding their reader at an odd angle anyway? The contrast is less than I hoped for and the adjustment for it can not always compensate.

Software
Overall I liked it. It was not very intuitive at first but I felt my way around. The free dictionary was very limited even compared to the one on my Jetbook. Page turning was a pleasure. I was disappointed that there was no on-screen keyboard which means, therefore, note taking must be done by handwriting. It has a search function, something the new Sony PRS-300 at nearly twice it's price, inexcusably can't manage.

I did not have it long enough to go through the book buying process but I was able to register fine.

Concerns
My only major concerns are 1) How long the Ebookwise can stay in business and withstand the onslaught of the B&N/Kindle/Sony/BonB/etc. with its rather archaic procedures and 2) The availability and price of the optional outdated, easily corrupted, and very limited size Smartmedia cards.

Conclusion
Having had it a short time I can see why some users here love this machine. The design and excellent light make it a pleasure to use. I do wonder what if it were updated with SD card support and the Jetbook's screen. I think that would be a killer. But then you would loose that retro feel.

I am seriously thinking about picking it up again, though. Forget the sleek Sony's and Kindle's. I long to hold the Ebookwise in my hand again.

Last edited by akira28; 09-18-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
The thing that makes people LOVE the Ebookwise is how darn nice it feels when your reading with it. As you mention the button's are perfect the software it runs for me is perfect too as I find it very easy to use.

I also like the screen! Having said that if they made one with a modern LCD screen (Back light required!) I would start throwing credit cards at them until I had one.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
conversion

Barnes and Noble actually bought Fictionwise which is Ebookwises parent company, I believe Ebookwise was included in the deal?

I think most of us that use a EB1150 simply convert our books. I normally buy .lit format, .mobi or .pdf if I can't possibly get it in .lit.

The screen quality is low I agree, but do you really need a fabulous one for simple text? Though I do admit that the e-ink screens are much clearer.

I have to say I think its ergonomics are superior to anything else I have seen. Perhaps the Pocketbook 360 will come close? I have not used an Opus I am not sure how well it compares but the buttons on the side look small.

It seems that as long as a person did their research ahead of time on the limitations of the EB1150 that they are happy with their purchase of one.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #19
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Device: Many ebook readers at my house
The best LCD display by far is the original Rocket. With the 1150, you can get the text black but by then, the background is so dense that it's hard to read. The Rocket's text is dense black and the background is almost invisible.

The Rocket can do landscape as well as portrait and fits the hand as well as a 1150 but has a dreadful bookshelf and requires a serial port and cradle to transfer books.

Michael
250 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
The best LCD display by far is the original Rocket. With the 1150, you can get the text black but by then, the background is so dense that it's hard to read. The Rocket's text is dense black and the background is almost invisible.

The Rocket can do landscape as well as portrait and fits the hand as well as a 1150 but has a dreadful bookshelf and requires a serial port and cradle to transfer books.

Michael
You devil! Trying to tempt me with a machine that is unavailable. Shame on you.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
250 Coupe
Groupie
250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch250 Coupe is clearly one to watch

Hee Hee...

I've got five of 'em and you don't got any!

Michael
Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #22
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 Coupe View Post
Hee Hee...

I've got five of 'em and you don't got any!

Michael
Do you have any Pro versions with 16MB? It seems the original one had only 4 which is extremely small, good for only 10 regular books.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #23
250 Coupe
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Do you have any Pro versions with 16MB? It seems the original one had only 4 which is extremely small, good for only 10 regular books.
I've got 1 or 2 that have 32MB and the rest have 4 altho I do have a spare memory module. When installed in a 4MB reader, it does not show up as added memory but I remember seeing somewhere that you need to reformat the ebook for it to show up.

If you are patient, they show up on ebay pretty regularly. I am thinking selling some of my collection to help fund this week's hobby, getting an Amateur Radio License. I have a EBM-911, a Godspeed eBible (HiEbook), the pile of Rockets (but only one spare cradle) and 4 WinCE handhelds.

Michael