Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #16
nivekkumar
Enthusiast
nivekkumar began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
That last part is kinda tenuous. The important bits are already very prominent and well-organized. It's simply impossible though to have *every* piece of information that *every* member might be looking for at the top of every thread. Find a way to do that and become very rich.

Sometimes (all of us) can't find something easily when it's, in retrospect anyway, shouldn't have been too hard to discover. Well life. But yeah, what can be jb? The very first post in this forum i.e. the first post of the first (stick) thread at the extreme top of this forum has a neatly organized and up to date summary of what firmware versions for each device can be jb. Couldn't be much more prominent or easy to find than that. And the specific datum that you were wishing was easier to find is at the top of the 5.x Jailbreak Wiki, as well as (at least) several jailbreak threads e.g. here. And also shows up in other threads after a quick keyword search about what versions of firmware can be downgraded.

Sure there are exceptions, caveats, breaking news and things that only seem to apply during a full moon. Which is why we have a forum. If we hope NiLuJe finds a way to do something, I think take a day off and do something (else) fun should rank a lot higher than near-impossible, and IMO unnecessary tasks.
Still questions was if a locked or blacklisted device is an exception for jailbreak or if only the firmware version is important. Now we know that it depends only on the version which is up to 5.8.x jailbreakable as I understood through downgrading. Thanks for all the fast answers
nivekkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, the sticky *purposefully* omits some device/FW-specific shenanigans to avoid confusing (even more so than usual ;p) new users .

The most prominent of these omissions is indeed the downgrade cutoff, and the hackish downgrade cutoff (i.e., hard-reboot trick). That last one is important for the PW1, for instance, because its final FW is not directly supported, doesn't handle direct downgrades, but still supports downgrades via the hard-reboot trick . (And, fun fact: despite owning a PW1, this one took me a couple of trips down memory lane to even remember when someone asked me about how to deal with a PW1, and a few contradictory PMs from my part to get to the bottom of it ;p).

The KV thing, which I wasn't familiar with (because I never had a KV), would probably be the only other "major" thing like that.

I'm wary of adding anything to the sticky itself that would make parts of it contradict itself, which is sort of what mentioning this would do .
But I do agree that it is important information to have available *somewhere*...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-07-2020 at 04:08 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:44 AM   #18
nivekkumar
Enthusiast

Only to be sure, as things were discussed which really doesn't belong to the question. Are blacklisted devices normally jailbreakable and can I install koreader and stuff or access also kindle store or will none work? Kind regards
Old 01-08-2020, 03:07 AM   #19
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
A lot of people don't approve of using lost/stolen (blacklisted) devices so don't be surprised if you get push back on that.

In short, you will not be able to access the Kindle store or anything else online with a lost/stolen device. You can jailbreak it if a jb is available and use it offline only. Even updates and time correction will have to be done manually. A jb will not grant you access to the Kindle store.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #20
nivekkumar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
A lot of people don't approve of using lost/stolen (blacklisted) devices so don't be surprised if you get push back on that.

In short, you will not be able to access the Kindle store or anything else online with a lost/stolen device. You can jailbreak it if a jb is available and use it offline only. Even updates and time correction will have to be done manually. A jb will not grant you access to the Kindle store.
Okay I will rethink that. Just contacted Amazon why the device was blacklisted (I have model no. and all). Even WiFi usage through JB Application wont work?
Old 01-08-2020, 04:45 AM   #21
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing Amazon related is going to work on wifi or 3g. Nothing. Well in theory, Amazon could track your device & report it to police, although that's probably unlikely to happen.

Wifi to non-Amazon sites should work, at least after editing the network configuration. I don't recall if Kindle uses a proxy.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Yes, Amazon does use a proxy.
They also have other means of controlling the Kindle's network usage.

Sorry, but that is as much detail as this forum's guidelines allow.
(bottom of any page, last blue bar, click "Guidelines", read section 8 and the link in section 8 to the site's policy statement)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #23
nivekkumar
Enthusiast

/delete
Old 01-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #24
nivekkumar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, Amazon does use a proxy.
They also have other means of controlling the Kindle's network usage.

Sorry, but that is as much detail as this forum's guidelines allow.
(bottom of any page, last blue bar, click "Guidelines", read section 8 and the link in section 8 to the site's policy statement)
Actually I believe here is no violation of the guidelines at all when discussing about this. Would you give me further information/help (maybe in private)? Thank you guys for the answers, for me the only reason to buy this device would be it's the first voyage I found with the correct firmware (I have Paperwhite but I updated automatically ).
Old 01-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Getting help to jailbreak a blacklisted Kindle is against the sprit of the forum even if it's not against the rules. NO help should be given. So please don't give help. This Kindle was either lost or stolen and we don't know. In either case, Amazon know the owner no longer has it and whoever handed it over should not have done so.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:17 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekkumar View Post
Actually I believe here is no violation of the guidelines at all when discussing about this. Would you give me further information/help (maybe in private)? Thank you guys for the answers, for me the only reason to buy this device would be it's the first voyage I found with the correct firmware (I have Paperwhite but I updated automatically ).
Let me point out, mildly, that members are under no obligation to help when it violates their ethics, nor should you ask for private help in a matter that would violate forum Guidelines. At some point, you need to let this go. You've asked and been answered.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #27
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivekkumar
Actually I believe here is no violation of the guidelines at all when discussing about this. Would you give me further information

Seriously? No good deed goes unpunished it seems.

/plonk
Old 01-11-2020, 03:22 AM   #28
nivekkumar
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Getting help to jailbreak a blacklisted Kindle is against the sprit of the forum even if it's not against the rules. NO help should be given. So please don't give help. This Kindle was either lost or stolen and we don't know. In either case, Amazon know the owner no longer has it and whoever handed it over should not have done so.
Agree.

Tags
jailbreak, sw jailbreak versions