Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
"Error communicating with device" When Deleting

Was going through my Kindle Voyage in Calibre and deleting some books. After a couple, I got the following error and the Kindle disconnected from the computer. Could be a fluke, but I thought I'd report it.

EDIT1: Rebooted the Kindle, reconnected it to the computer, tried deleting some more, and got the same error. I *think* that after doing some number of deletes, the Kindle disconnects itself from the OS and then the next time I try to delete, I get that error (which would make sense since there's nothing left to communicate with). Not sure what's causing the Kindle to disconnect.

EDIT2: Happened again on a second Kindle Voyage. This time, all my deletes succeeded (so no error message). But, after that, the Kindle just disconnected again. Could be an OS thing, so I'll try connecting the Kindle to just the computer and letting it sit for a bit.

EDIT3: Not a very good test, but just adding and deleting things to the Kindle from the OS doesn't seem to cause the problem. Looks like it's limited to Calibre.

Code:
calibre, version 2.53.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/media/dave/Kindle/'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 533, in _sync_booklists
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 435, in sync_booklists
  File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/media/dave/Kindle/'
Using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon x64.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 03-13-2016 at 06:59 PM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
Was going through my Kindle Voyage in Calibre and deleting some books. After a couple, I got the following error and the Kindle disconnected from the computer. Could be a fluke, but I thought I'd report it.

EDIT1: Rebooted the Kindle, reconnected it to the computer, tried deleting some more, and got the same error. I *think* that after doing some number of deletes, the Kindle disconnects itself from the OS and then the next time I try to delete, I get that error (which would make sense since there's nothing left to communicate with). Not sure what's causing the Kindle to disconnect.

EDIT2: Happened again on a second Kindle Voyage. This time, all my deletes succeeded (so no error message). But, after that, the Kindle just disconnected again. Could be an OS thing, so I'll try connecting the Kindle to just the computer and letting it sit for a bit.

EDIT3: Not a very good test, but just adding and deleting things to the Kindle from the OS doesn't seem to cause the problem. Looks like it's limited to Calibre.

Code:
calibre, version 2.53.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 13] Permission denied: '/media/dave/Kindle/'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 533, in _sync_booklists
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 435, in sync_booklists
  File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/media/dave/Kindle/'
Using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon x64.
The error say you do not have (any longer) permission to do file operations.
Something has blocked Calibres access.

Do check the FAQ on the calibre help page
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That indicates your device is failing. When there are filesystem errors, linux either remounts the filesystem readonly, or unmounts the filesystem entirely, either of which will cause the permission denied errors.

Look at the dmesg log on your system.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #4
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
OK. Looking for filesystem issues, I plugged the Kindle into my computer and ran mount from Terminal to see where it was mounted:

dave@dave-mint ~ $ mount
/dev/sdc1 on /media/dave/Kindle type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed ,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks2)

That puts it at /dev/sdc1. So, I ran fsck to repair (interactively) that device. That found the "dirty bit" set (probably from my unmounting it improperly at some point). So, I told it to fix that:

sudo fsck.vfat -r /dev/sdc1
[sudo] password for dave:
fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action
? 1
Perform changes ? (y/n) y
/dev/sdc1: 3346 files, 104504/398580 clusters

Hopefully, that will stop the problem from popping up again.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Toggling the dirty bit does not do anything. It's just an indicator.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote