Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm a bit nonplussed. Do some of you folks really think that when you see an e-book being sold by a major, reputable bookseller, it's up to you to check the provenance?
But these are not being published by a reputable publisher. EOS doesn't exist any longer. It's now Harper Voyager. If you look at my previous message, you will read of the many giveaways that these are not legal eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:46 PM   #17
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When has HarperCollins ever sold eBooks in the US exclusively at Amazon? Since EOS is now Harper Voyage, the EOS name should not be used. I cannot find any listing of these books other than Amazon. That's not normal. Can anyone actually prove these are legit? I think they are not legit. The crooks just did a better job at faking it this time around. I've been to HarperCollins site and they list no eBooks.

Another reason I believe these to not be legal is that The Crystal Cave is using the UK cover (legit eBooks in the UK). Also, when you do a look inside, you see straight quotes. The legit UK version has the usual curly quotes. The illegal version has a full line to show section breaks. That's not how it's done by Harper Voyager.

I see many indications that these are illegal and no indication that they are legal. They appear to be scan/OCR copies. So don't buy these just to get a cheaper Audible copy. That's aiding an abetting since you now know the eBooks (in the US) are not legal.
So contact Mary Stewart's estate, HarperCollins, and Amazon, all of which have lawyers.

I absolutely do not "now know" the e-books are not legal. All I know is that you happen to think so.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So contact Mary Stewart's estate, HarperCollins, and Amazon, all of which have lawyers.

I absolutely do not "now know" the e-books are not legal. All I know is that you happen to think so.
After all I've posted, how can you think the eBooks are legal?
Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After all I've posted, how can you think the eBooks are legal?
Because they are being sold by Amazon, which has even taken the added step of Whispersyncing them with the corresponding audiobooks. Forgive me if I believe Amazon over your theory.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:06 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Because they are being sold by Amazon, which has even taken the added step of Whispersyncing them with the corresponding audiobooks. Forgive me if I believe Amazon over your theory.
Just because Amazon has been duped doesn't make them legit. In fact, looking inside can tell you these books are not legit. I'm sorry you too have been duped.
Advert
Old 10-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just because Amazon has been duped doesn't make them legit. In fact, looking inside can tell you these books are not legit. I'm sorry you too have been duped.
As I already said, contact Amazon, HarperCollins, and Mary Stewart's estate, then get back to me.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
As I already said, contact Amazon, HarperCollins, and Mary Stewart's estate, then get back to me.
No need. I know these books are not legal. It's you that needs to contact them to prove me wrong which you cannot because I am not wrong.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #23
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No need. I know these books are not legal. It's you that needs to contact them to prove me wrong which you cannot because I am not wrong.
So you are sure they're not legal, but you don't care enough to contact anyone who could do something about it. You'd rather waste time debating it on a forum.

I don't need to prove anything to you, and it's ridiculous to put the onus of proof on me. I'm not the one challenging the legality of these books; you are. All you need to do is cut and paste the "proof" you've already set out, and send out a few e-mails. I'm sure you can easily find e-mail addresses for Amazon and HarperCollins. Let me know what they say.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does anyone else believe these are real retail eBook edition?
Old 10-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Does anyone else believe these are real retail eBook edition?
If they're on Amazon, they're legit.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #26
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I tend to go with this feeling --- although, I paid $9.99 for a one-book-trilogy of these Mary Stewart books, in 2012ish ..... and while I can still download it, Amazon doesn't carry that book any more. So that makes me dubious about that version ..... and thus about how much checking Amazon does in advance of somebody reporting a book. Yes Jon (John? JS, anyway) - if you report your thoughts, Amazon might then check up on this book. Then perhaps we'd know for sure.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
We seen some eBooks on Amazon that we know are not legit.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I tend to go with this feeling --- although, I paid $9.99 for a one-book-trilogy of these Mary Stewart books, in 2012ish ..... and while I can still download it, Amazon doesn't carry that book any more. So that makes me dubious about that version ..... and thus about how much checking Amazon does in advance of somebody reporting a book. Yes Jon (John? JS, anyway) - if you report your thoughts, Amazon might then check up on this book. Then perhaps we'd know for sure.
I recall that I tried to report the previous version and you have to be the rights holder to do so (unless things have changed since).
Old 10-07-2016, 03:05 PM   #29
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ohhhhhh. Well, that makes it harder for us to help them out, doesn't it?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
We seen some eBooks on Amazon that we know are not legit.
And it's up to Amazon to remove them. In the meantime, they're legit.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote