Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Even a camera angle can cause that. There's no way to tell, based on a photo only.
The camera angle is not at fault. The camera is looking straight on and there's no reflection on the screen. This is a clean shot and I would say accurate given that Kobo has always had better graphics then Kindle (at least since the H20 was released)
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The camera angle is not at fault. The camera is looking straight on and there's no reflection on the screen. This is a clean shot and I would say accurate given that Kobo has always had better graphics then Kindle (at least since the H20 was released)
But it could still be the lighting source. I've compared two eReaders before and when one was one side it looked better and, vice versa, the other one looked better. Besides (in this picture) the Oasis looks a little "washed out," but the Libra looks a little "muddy." And most people don't buy eReaders for the covers, it's how good the fonts look that counts.

I don't have a "horse in this race," as I'm probably never going to buy a Libra or an Oasis — but I definitely wouldn't make a buying decision based on this picture. Too many factors in play.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #48
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But it could still be the lighting source. I've compared two eReaders before and when one was one side it looked better and, vice versa, the other one looked better. Besides (in this picture) the Oasis looks a little "washed out," but the Libra looks a little "muddy." And most people don't buy eReaders for the covers, it's how good the fonts look that counts.

I don't have a "horse in this race," as I'm probably never going to buy a Libra or an Oasis — but I definitely wouldn't make a buying decision based on this picture. Too many factors in play.
Well, some people do read mangas and it would count then. As to fonts, I don't think there are huge differences between modern midrange and premium readers. They're all good. Even if you don't care for the inbuilt fonts, you can load your own on most of them (well, the Nooks are an exception, but there's always embedding as the last resort).

Still, I'm waiting various comparisons by actual buyers with interest.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:39 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, some people do read mangas and it would count then. As to fonts, I don't think there are huge differences between modern midrange and premium readers. They're all good. Even if you don't care for the inbuilt fonts, you can load your own on most of them (well, the Nooks are an exception, but there's always embedding as the last resort).

Still, I'm waiting various comparisons by actual buyers with interest.
Embedding fonts is not going to work for most people and if the eBooks have DRM, then forget it. Equally, forget the Nook. It's not all that great a Reader. I'd go with Kobo over Nook any day.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:36 AM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Embedding fonts is not going to work for most people and if the eBooks have DRM, then forget it. Equally, forget the Nook. It's not all that great a Reader. I'd go with Kobo over Nook any day.
Most people here on MR have no issues disinfecting a DRMed ebook.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Equally, forget the Nook. It's not all that great a Reader. I'd go with Kobo over Nook any day.
For me, Nook hardware and Kobo software would be a dream wedding.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote