Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
desunit
desunit began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 360
mobipocket.com books

Hi,

I've installed the latest version (March 15th, 2010) of pocketbook 360 firmware but noticed that books from mobipocket.com (PRC format) still can't be read - it opens without error but words have lots of letters which shouldn't be there. If I open book with Mobipocket Reader it works perfectly.

Any plans to fix PRC format?
desunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Is the text mostly readable or totally unreadable.
If the former, try tweaking the CODE PAGE setting in fbreader; if the latter, make sure you are feeding it DRM-free content.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
desunit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Is the text mostly readable or totally unreadable.
If the former, try tweaking the CODE PAGE setting in fbreader; if the latter, make sure you are feeding it DRM-free content.
No it's not code page issue since some words are clear but others completely unreadable the first page of Throne of Jade (Naomi Novik book) looks like:

to the h,, dragon have beneath theesha that I still mb back w themselvesydeg ty cegfaou-

As you can see it's complete nonsense. And this is how the page looks like in Mobipocket Reader:

THE DAY WAS unseasonably warm for November, but in some misguided deference to the Chinese embassy, the fire in the Admiralty boardroom had

how can I check that the book is DRM-free?

Last edited by desunit; 05-09-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Spoiler:
In my experience, when there's a DRM the file isn't opened in fbreader (might be just my epubs). Can you read it in Calibre or into the FBReader desktop application?

EDIT: sorry, I hadn't caught that- if you bought that from mobipocket.com, there is probably a DRM involved. Did the site/the software ask you for a PID on download?

Last edited by Bookster; 05-09-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: the spoiler is not a spoiler, it's the wrong message, sorry!
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
desunit

ouch... just installed FBReader and you were right it says DRM-protected. so I wouldn't read prc files at all using pocket book 360?
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by desunit View Post
ouch... just installed FBReader and you were right it says DRM-protected. so I wouldn't read prc files at all using pocket book 360?
Not without removing DMRs, which is not something that can be talked openly about on the forum, sorry...
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by desunit View Post
Not all prc files are drm'ed; plenty of drm-free stuff to be found, both commercial and PD, starting with Mobileread itself. And those generally display well enough.

Copy-protected stuff needs to be de-drm'ed first.
It's not hard but in some countries it is technically illegal. Others, not so much.

You may need to do a web search for the subject or check out one of several blogs that deal with reverse-engineering. There's a self-proclaimed apprentice out there named alf that explains the various flavors of drm and the tools that might help.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
All the ebooks at mobipocket.com that cost money include DRM. If you strip the DRM, PocketBook can read them or you can then convert them to what ever format you prefer using Calibre.

The best site for up to date DRM info is Apprentice Alf's Blog, and its "tools" bundle includes point and click wrappers for many scripts. You will need a PID that works with the MOBI ebooks, and usually this is the one for your Windows PC (or redownload them authorized fro your PC).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote